Tax Lien Certificates

tomaw

Has anybody invested in these? I'd like to know more about them. There's a number of seminars and websites on them. What they say is that they are safe since they are backed by the government, can be done from anywhere and make a lot of money. I'd like to hear from people that have ACTUALLY INVESTED IN THEM. I could post a number of  links on them but I don't think Admin. wants us doing that, however you can look them up yourself. I'd appreciate any information you may have.

Dolsos

Just to clarify, are you looking to purchase tax liens in the Philippines or US?

ed villas

this forum can only advise or suggest what you can or nor do,

remember any thing that seems too good is usually that,, JUST TO GOOD and not worth the risk..

suggest that you "GOOGLE" your  tax lien certificate and see what is available to research, ,,

please remember that some of us members are not that RICH to invest in such things..

as I would not and will not take such a RISK w.my money and the money that i wish to leave to my estate/children

• Like 1
mikewright

Just to clarify, are you looking to purchase tax liens in the Philippines or US?

Would be interested to see how tax liens work in the Philippines. One knowledgeable person told me that payment of tax in the Philippines was "optional". Still trying to get my head around this concept.

• Like 1
Knowdafish

Would be interested to see how tax liens work in the Philippines. One knowledgeable person told me that payment of tax in the Philippines was "optional". Still trying to get my head around this concept.

By "optional" I think they are referring to the fact that the law, as are most here, is unenforced. 

tomaw

.......... The U.S.
tomaw

.............Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear. They would be for tax liens in The U.S. but can be bought from anywhere in the world using the internet for very little money. Edited by tomaw
tomaw

this forum can only advise or suggest what you can or nor do,

remember any thing that seems too good is usually that,, JUST TO GOOD and not worth the risk..

suggest that you "GOOGLE" your tax lien certificate and see what is available to research, ,,

please remember that some of us members are not that RICH to invest in such things..

as I would not and will not take such a RISK w.my money and the money that i wish to leave to my estate/children

......... I already did look at a number of web sites on it that all want to sell me on it. It does look good. Takes little money and is safe because it's backed by the local government. If the person you loaned money to doesn't pay back with interest in a given time period you foreclose and get the property! Most will pay in that in time though so you make money on the interest. I would really like to hear from somebody that's actually done it. Edited by tomaw
Davaoeno

the question that immediately comes to mind is that if for very little money you can by a safe [ backed by the government] cert why do they have to advertise them on " a number of web sites" ? In my experience anything that is a sure fire winner is immediately snapped up by sophisticated investors  !! If they have to advertise and try to find investors it isnt any safe win-win  situation in my mind

Run Forrest run !!  

• Like 4
tomaw

the question that immediately comes to mind is that if for very little money you can by a safe [ backed by the government] cert why do they have to advertise them on " a number of web sites" ? In my experience anything that is a sure fire winner is immediately snapped up by sophisticated investors !! If they have to advertise and try to find investors it isnt any safe win-win situation in my mind

Run Forrest run !!

........... Do you also feel that way about stocks, bonds, precious metals and real estate? Those things also advertise and look a lot riskier. Edited by tomaw
smokey

........... Do you also feel that way about stocks, bonds, precious metals and real estate? Those things also advertise and look avlo

its not the stocks that advertise its the broker looking to get a cut from your buying just like the tax thing go to the city itself and ask no middleman

Dolsos

Do you also feel that way about stocks, bonds, precious metals and real estate? Those things also advertise and look avlo

But noone would argue that stocks, bonds, metals and real estate are fool proof investments.

In my county back home there's a huge scandal about tax auctions just recently, the guy in charge had been rigging the auctions to let donors to his campaign win at extremely high interest rates.  Now thousands of tax sales are in question and huge lawsuits are being filed over it...  No way to know how it will end at this point but I'm betting alot of people are going to get screwed.

If it was a fool proof scheme to make easy money you WOULDN"T have heard of it because the people who figured it out would be hoarding it.  Maybe you can make some money on it but definately do alot more digging and be familiar with the area you're buying the liens in.

tomaw

Once again, I don't care if a person's EXPERIENCE with them was positive or negative but I would like to hear from somebody that has actually delt with them.

• Like 1
Buko Beach

What does US Tax Lien Certificates have to do with the Philippines?

tomaw

But noone would argue that stocks, bonds, metals and real estate are fool proof investments.

In my county back home there's a huge scandal about tax auctions just recently, the guy in charge had been rigging the auctions to let donors to his campaign win at extremely high interest rates. Now thousands of tax sales are in question and huge lawsuits are being filed over it... No way to know how it will end at this point but I'm betting alot of people are going to get screwed.

If it was a fool proof scheme to make easy money you WOULDN"T have heard of it because the people who figured it out would be hoarding it. Maybe you can make some money on it but definately do alot more digging and be familiar with the area you're buying the liens in.

...... You're talking about something completely different. I'll cut and paste the definition and more information on a tax lien certificate when I get home. Sorry, I can't do it from my phone. Edited by tomaw