Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Maps Of Cebu, And Elsewhere In The Philippines

musicman666

Yes, that is absolutely true, and...?

:stick_poke:

LinD

my original post was to do with needing a gps if you wanted to get to some particular place via the web of tracks across the middle of cebu island without getting lost .....in response to some guy saying he just followed his nose and he got there ...

David_LivinginTalisay

my original post was to do with needing a gps if you wanted to get to some particular place via the web of tracks across the middle of cebu island without getting lost .....in response to some guy saying he just followed his nose and he got there ...

All I know is a good Map of the Dirt Tracks of CEBU, and a GPS helps you really explore what the REAL Philippines has to offer. You miss so much of the natural beauty and slender of rural Philippines,sticking to the main Roads. Much less traffic, much less pollution and less chance of injury from another vehicle up in the hills of Cebu,

I have installed on my Garmin Nuvi 255,

1. 10m Contour Topo Overlay Map of the Philippines, along with
  2. Latest OpenStreetMaps, released very recently. and iii)
  3. RoadGuide.ph V2.01 Contributors Map.

I know it is FREE, but that RoadGuide.ph 'Basic' Map 1.07 is well.. uh 'pretty basic'!

RG-BasicV107.jpg

Compared to the latest FREE version of OpenStreetMaps

OSMPhilippines_20110826.jpg

Sure the RG 'Contributors' Map 2.0 is superior to the OpenSteetMap (in terms of minor tracks and footpaths detail added by Contributors, but does vary by area, so that is why I have both, and the 10m Contours- that I can 'Enable' when required)

As an example OSN vesion showed a Track leading to Aloguinson from the East, and another South of Pinamungaham, heading West, that was not of RoadGuide,ph V2.01.

RG-ContributorV20.jpg

That RoadGuide.ph V2.0 was only recently released to 'Active' Contributors (ie thise who submitted very little or nothing since getting their Unlock Code were not given the Unlock Code for the New V2.xx Series of RG.ph Philippine Maps).

Here is the Release 2.01 so soon and has more detail added in this area of Cebu. This largely due to the GPS Mapping contributions from our Green Trail Rides

Here you can see RG V2.01 with the 10m Contour Map overlay, from OSM-Philippines:-

RoadGuide.ph_V2.01%252528%25252B10m%252520contour%252520overlay%252529.jpg

Those 2 x Tracks that were on OSM, but not on RG2.0, are now on the RG.ph V2.01 as well as more from GTR#15 and GTR#16

(think I will see if I can use the OSM 'TYP. File om the RG,ph Maps as I like the Road visual and colour designations, somewhat clearer to read, than the RoadGuide 'TYP' file (but they do have many alternatives, that Contributors can download - so will try some of them first and compare)

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

shadow

Well, my point is we do it all the time. On Wednesday on our way home we entered near San Fernando and came out at Barili. We have never previously been through that area, and did not have a map, much less a GPS, etc. We have traversed most of the backroads of Negros Oriental in the same manner, where I assure you there are many more dead ends than are on Cebu. We just follow our nose, and we get there. Sometimes we have to double back, sometimes we will ask a local if a particular road comes out somewhere. Most always if there is a way through, we find our way through without having to double back more than once.

Larry in Dumaguete

KCkid

I had excellent luck with google maps offline and just standard GPS.  Navigated all around cebu for 2 weeks (N to S, E to W) around the island with little to no issues.  I guess the new google maps app has a bug that does not allow downloading of maps offline but I didn't upgrade the app.

Best thing I ever did was download the maps offline!

David_LivinginTalisay

I can highly recommend OsmAnd+ Maps & Navigation together with OsmAnd Contour lines plugin
http://osmand.net/

website-header.png

Osmand+ is a donation based application. By buying it you are supporting the project and receive latest updates via Android Market.

Features:
  • new Wikipedia feature (download offline POIs)
  • offline data, configurable folder for the maps and tiles
  • compact vector maps for whole world
  • offline search of addresses and places
  • custom tile map area download
  • pedestrian, bicycle and car modes
  • many map layers with customized transparency at a time
  • offline routing for short distance (experimental)
  • Galaxy Tab supporte

What's in this version : (Updated : Aug 4, 2013)
  • Voice warnings about speed limits and cameras
  • More voice prompt capabilities (street names announced)
  • High density map icons
  • Lots of UI changes
  • Bugfixes in distance display, GPX analyzer, waypoint handling, planning widget, OSM uploading, https handling

Required Android O/S : 1.6+

Screenshots :

unnamed+%281%29.png unnamed+%282%29.pngunnamed+%283%29.png

unnamed+%284%29.pngunnamed+%285%29.pngunnamed.png

OsmAnd Functionality

- Global Mobile Map Viewing & Navigation for Offline and Online OSM Maps -

OsmAnd (OSM Automated Navigation Directions) is a map and navigation application with access to the free, worldwide, and high-quality OpenStreetMap (OSM) data. All map data can be stored on your device's memory card for offline use. Via your device's GPS, OsmAnd offers routing, with optical and voice guidance, for car, bike, and pedestrian.
All the main functionalities work both online and offline (no internet needed).

Some of the main features:

Navigation

• Works online (fast) or offline (no roaming charges when you are abroad)
  • Turn-by-turn voice guidance (recorded and synthesized voices)
  • Optional lane guidance, street name display, and estimated time of arrival
  • Supports intermediate points on your itinerary
  • Automatic re-routing whenever you deviate from the route
  • Search for places by address, by type (e.g.: restaurant, hotel, gas station, museum), or by geographical coordinates

Map Viewing

• Display your position and orientation on the map
  • Optionally align the map according to compass or your direction of motion
  • Save your most important places as Favorites
  • Display POIs (point of interests) around you
  • Can display specialized online tile maps
  • Can display satellite view (from Bing)
  • Can display different overlays like touring/navigation GPX tracks and additional maps with customizable transparency
  • Optionally display place names in English, local, or phonetic spelling

Use OpenStreetMap and Wikipedia Data

• High quality information from the best collaborative projects of the world
  • Global maps from OpenStreetMap, available per country or region
  • Wikipedia POIs, great for sightseeing (not available in free version)
  • Unlimited free download, directly from the app (download limit 10 map files in free version)
  • Always up-to-date maps (updated at least once a month)
  • Compact offline vector maps
  • Select between complete map data and just road network (Example: All of Japan is 700 MB, or 200 MB for the road network only)
  • Also supports online or cached tile maps

Safety Features

• Optional automated day/night view switching
  • Optional speed limit display, with reminder if you exceed it
  • Optional speed-dependent map zooming
  • Share your location so that your friends can find you

Bicycle and Pedestrian Features

• The maps include foot, hiking, and bike paths, great for outdoor activities
  • Special routing and display modes for bike and pedestrian
  • Optional public transport stops (bus, tram, train) including line names
  • Optional trip recording to local GPX file or online service
  • Optional speed and altitude display
  • Display of contour lines and hill-shading (via additional plugin)

Directly Contribute to OpenStreetMap

• Report map bugs
  • Upload GPX tracks to OSM directly from the app
  • Add POIs and directly upload them to OSM (or later if offline)
  • Optional trip recording also in background mode (while device is in sleep mode)

OsmAnd is open source and actively being developed. Everyone can contribute to the application by reporting bugs, improving translations, or coding new features. The project is in a lively state of continuous improvement by all these forms of developer and user interaction. The project progress also relies on financial contributions to fund the development, coding, and testing of new functionalities. By buying OsmAnd+ you help the application to be even more awesome! It is also possible to fund specific new features, or to make a general donation on osmand.net.

Very approximate map coverage and quality:

• Western Europe: ****
  • Eastern Europe: ***
  • Russia: ***
  • North America: ***
  • South America: **
  • Asia: **
  • Japan & Korea: ***
  • Middle East: **
  • Africa: **
  • Antarctica: *

List of countries supported (basically world wide!):
Afghanistan,Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda,Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan,
Bahamas,Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bonaire,  Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil,
British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi,
Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo,  Costa Rica, Ivory Coast, Croatia, Cuba, Curaçao, Cyprus, Czech Republic,
Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic,

Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial
Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, France, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guam, Guatemala, Guernsey, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana,
Haiti, Vatican, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary,

Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, Italy, 

Jamaica, Japan, Jersey, Jordan,  

Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, 

North Korea and South Korea,                    

Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan,    

Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg,
Macao, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Martinique, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, 

Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway,

Oman,
Pakistan, Palau, Palestinian Territory, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico,
Qatar,
Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saint Barthelemy,

Saint Helena, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Somalia, South Africa, South Georgia, South Sudan, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, 

Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tokelau, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, 

Uganda,Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom (UK), United States of America (USA), Uruguay, Uzbekistan,

Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam,

Wallis and Futuna, Western Sahara,

Yemen,

Zambia, Zimbabwe.

osmand-news-16jan2012.jpg

Screenshots...

Last Updated on Saturday, 27 July 2013 10:43    

OsmAnd Maps & BTSync

The BitTorrent Company released new software named BTSync , which allows to synchronize data between computers using BitTorrent technology. One of the big BtSync advantages, comparing to the Torrent technology, that program can automatically sync files updates using diff algorithms. BtSync is working on Android and PC. OsmAnd provides an experimental access to all map files located on server with updates.

Read more...

Last Updated on Saturday, 27 July 2013 10:26   

tomaw

does that cover the whole of PH, sorry if that's a silly question.

and is it acurate on smaller roads?

......... I was about to ask a similar question. Are map downloads available for Garmin GPS of Cebu, Cebu Province and the rest of The Philippines?

David_LivinginTalisay

......... I was about to ask a similar question. Are map downloads available for Garmin GPS of Cebu, Cebu Province and the rest of The Philippines?

I have posted about Free OpenStreetMaps for Garmin that I installed on my Nuvi 255 in this Thread.

More details in many other threads, including the URL to Sambale OSMPhil Garmin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap

OpenStreetMap (OSM) is a collaborative project to create a free editable map of the world. Two major driving forces behind the establishment and growth of OSM have been restrictions on use or availability of map information across much of the world and the advent of inexpensive portable satellite navigation devices.[4]

Created by Steve Coast in the UK in 2004, it was inspired by the success of Wikipedia and preponderance of proprietary map data in the UK and elsewhere.[5] Since then, it has grown to over 1 million registered users,[6] who can collect data using GPS devices, aerial photography, and other free sources. These crowdsourced data are then made available under the Open Database License. The site is supported by the OpenStreetMap Foundation, a non-profit organization registered in England.

Rather than the map itself, the data generated by the OpenStreetMap

project are considered its primary output. These data are then available

for use in both traditional applications, like their usage by Craigslist, Geocaching, MapQuest Open, and Foursquare to replace Google Maps, and more unusual roles, like replacing default data included with GPS receivers[7] These data have been favorably compared with proprietary datasources,[8] though data quality varies worldwide.[9][10]

[7]"OSM Map on Garmin". OpenStreetMap Wiki. Retrieved 14 November 2012.

It is Maning Sambale. who creates and offers the Free OSM  of the Philippines and 10m Contours. for Garmin MapSource installation.

181359_4112925226921_1515711828_n.jpg

FREE OSM-PH Maps for Garmin GPS - ‎Download - ‎Short poll

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay