Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Maps Of Cebu, And Elsewhere In The Philippines

musicman666

the tracks from that turn off between Danao and Compostela surely would be much more difficult, as you'd have to get up to very nearly the peak of Mount Lanibga, Cebu's highest mountain, before joining the Transcentral about halfway between Cebu and Balamban - but even that is only 1680 feet, not 2000.

where did you get that height info?? this contour map is putting that mountain well above 2000ft above sea level?

i just checked another traditional os map ..that peak is nearly 3000ft above sea level... i see that on the net there are figures that are a lot lower but either they are talking about elevation or they are just wrong.

Edited by musicman666

udonthani

however high the mountain is, you don't go anywhere close to their summits. Asking for directions before I did this on another thread 18 months ago, Paul submitted the following reply :

Basically, coming from Liloan, you turn right opposite Fooda, go through Casili and Sac Sac - turn left at end of road towards Pitos. Left onto main road and ask in Pitos the way to Balamban. Drop by if you're in 'Lacion.

udonthani

http://pnmsgroup.multiply.com/journal/item/9

my bad, Lanigba is shown as 669 meters, which is 2000-odd feet, and it's not the highest either, that's Mt. Labalasan, at 1013m.

but that is not the point as you don't go anywhere near the summit of any mountain on this short cut.

18 months ago I posted a topic asking about this route, to which Paul replied :

Basically, coming from Liloan, you turn right opposite Fooda, go through Casili and Sac Sac - turn left at end of road towards Pitos. Left onto main road and ask in Pitos the way to Balamban. The roads I mention are all paved but in some areas have large pot holes and the road sometimes suffers from landslips. It's one of those routes you need to travel to know, which is why I said I couldn't give accurate directions - if I was on my motor I could find my way quite easily.

it's not a difficult route at all, and if you were 100% sure where you were going having done it several times before, it would only take about 30 minutes to get to the highway from Consolacion this way, though it took me longer than that as I had to stop several times to ask people directions.

like I said, if you were coming from that turn off between Danao and Compostela, that would be much more of a trek, and you would definitely have to go way up to a high elevation.

musicman666

however high the mountain is, you don't go anywhere close to their summits. Asking for directions before I did this on another thread 18 months ago, Paul submitted the following reply :

Basically, coming from Liloan, you turn right opposite Fooda, go through Casili and Sac Sac - turn left at end of road towards Pitos. Left onto main road and ask in Pitos the way to Balamban. Drop by if you're in 'Lacion.

well im going to explore that area .. looks like some good twisty trails but even from pitos the permutations for getting lost are huge!! should be fun.

miles-high

Just a note from my recent trip, I would like to add one comment on your bicol_gegion_map.pdf.

There is a sort of new by-pass (it did not look new, however) between Calauas, Quezon to Sipocoot, Camarines Norte.

It runs more or less along the railroad, going through Tagkawayan and Ragay, not thorough Daet. It is much faster and no “city” traffic to slow you down…

Also, in Batangas, the expressway now extends toward Batangas City and if you are coming from Manila, you may be tempted to stay on to Lipa, thence Rosalio…

Don’t! We tried both ways and the San Pedro route is much faster…

:itsokay:

P.S. I love studying the maps... thank you for your great efforts..:phil:.

dablindfrog

I have a Garmin GPS

Paul

does that cover the whole of PH, sorry if that's a silly question.

and is it acurate on smaller roads?

udonthani

just use your instincts and also education. Why would anybody want to use GPS, when you have the moon and stars.

Nangulo

The map from Roadguide.ph covers all of the Philippines. Depending on where you're located and the level of activity of contributors to the map will determine the level of detail of smaller roads. Cebu City and surrounding from Carcar to Danao is quite detailed and accurate. There are several contributors adding details almost daily. Install Mapsource on your computer and download the map - take a look.

musicman666

just use your instincts and also education. Why would anybody want to use GPS, when you have the moon and stars.

from what you have told me you do not need a gps.. you have a nautual one built into your head... however us mere mortals need gps..or at least a map if we are to go off piste so to speak.

easy44

This is a great list of maps, but whenever I need to find one, this thread is difficult or impossible to find. Shouldn't this be made a sticky somewhere, or placed somewhere easier to access?

Paul

does that cover the whole of PH, sorry if that's a silly question.

and is it acurate on smaller roads?

Not at all. It was a basic Garmin, with a basic map of this part of the world built in. Most of the time, it would show me being in the water when I was driving on a provincial highway. I would suggest a better quality map from a site like roadguide.ph, or elsewhere, and a higher quality GPS.

Driving in this country, in many areas, can be a very dangerous venture. From my years of experience in traveling around this country by motorbike, I would never, ever suggest that people drive in areas unknown to them, during night hours. The roads here are dangerous enough during the day time!

This is a great list of maps, but whenever I need to find one, this thread is difficult or impossible to find. Shouldn't this be made a sticky somewhere, or placed somewhere easier to access?

Rick, it was a sticky before. I don't know why it wasn't. That was odd that it wasn't "pinned". I have pinned it again, though. Thanks for noticing.

musicman666

Driving in this country, in many areas, can be a very dangerous venture. From my years of experience in traveling around this country by motorbike, I would never, ever suggest that people drive in areas unknown to them, during night hours. The roads here are dangerous enough during the day time!

i think utonian is pulling my dick on this one.... no way can you sail off into the middle of god knows where with an eye on the sky and a couple of pointers from the locals.

shadow

i think utonian is pulling my dick on this one.... no way can you sail off into the middle of god knows where with an eye on the sky and a couple of pointers from the locals.

Please don't tell my wife that, we have been doing it since our first day together!

With a good nose and some common sense, you can't get lost on an island the size of Cebu, Negros, Bohol, etc.

Larry in Dumaguete

• Like 1

musicman666
Please don't tell my wife that, we have been doing it since our first day together! With a good nose and some common sense, you can't get lost on an island the size of Cebu, Negros, Bohol, etc. Larry in Dumaguete

some roads just dead end or turn 180 degrees back on themselves ..some are impassable for various reasons ..some just turn into muddy tracks ... some are very steep.

Edited by musicman666

shadow

some roads just dead end or turn 180 degrees back on themselves ..some are impassable for various reasons ..some just turn into muddy tracks ... some are very steep.

Yes, that is absolutely true, and...?

:stick_poke:

LinD