Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Maps Of Cebu, And Elsewhere In The Philippines

shinta

hi! does anyone have a scanned map of manila? :)

Paul

Shinta,

I have looked here at my house for one to scan, but haven't found it yet. I haven't searched the internet though, but there may be other good ones online. I will see if I can find one and upload it for you.

-------------

I have uploaded another Camiguin Island map that I just found. It is good quality too. The file name is: camiguin_map_2.pdf

Paul

More maps. Please check the dates.

Paul

I just converted a fairy decent Manila City Map (to PDF) and uploaded it here, for those interested.

mattwilkie

Thing is only the locations of roads for example are relevant because if buildings are missing from the Googlemaps you just need to find landmarks that dont change and work from that for specific locations.

Map

I started building the above map and it can take multiple editors so if anyone wants to help build it aswell as intergrate photos to it please let me know. Not just Cebu but all of the islands as I think its a worthwhile project. If you want onboard drop me an email also any websites who want to use the map please do.. saves everyone mapping in different areas can just have one big map of everyones locations they have found.

FirstTimeInCebu

Thank you for the maps! :notallthere:

mpt1947

Thank you Paul - Appreciate all you do

David_LivinginTalisay

Thing is only the locations of roads for example are relevant because if buildings are missing from the Googlemaps you just need to find landmarks that dont change and work from that for specific locations.

Map

I started building the above map and it can take multiple editors so if anyone wants to help build it aswell as intergrate photos to it please let me know. Not just Cebu but all of the islands as I think its a worthwhile project. If you want onboard drop me an email also any websites who want to use the map please do.. saves everyone mapping in different areas can just have one big map of everyones locations they have found.

The way to make Maps of the Philippines (Cebu in particular since that is where I live) BETTER, and that is to CONTRIBUTE, via GPS mapped Tracks, Routes, and Waypoints giving Points Of Interest (POI).

I am a Member of Google Map Maker and submitted a number of contributions (so much so, I just received an e-mail from Google asking if they can send me a Certificate, acknowledging this and a T-Shirt).

I also Contribute to Open Street Maps.

I also became a Contributor for RoadGuide.ph

The main advantage that I see for Google MyMaps (over Google Map Maker), is the fact there are no 'Moderators' approval, before you can view and use such 'MyMap' that I created.

I use such MyMaps as an 'overlay' on Mobile Google Maps.

So if I am planning to explore a new track, I can trace from Satellite image or another map and create a 'My Map' of the proposed Route.

Then, on my Mobile Phone (Nokia N95 8GB), and a Free WiFi connection available (preferable to paying for 3 or 3.5G connection), I launch Google Maps (V4.1.1)

Visit this URL in your phone's browser:m.google.com

Google Maps for mobile

Use Google Maps on your phone, and never carry a paper map again

• Android
  • BlackBerry
  • iPhone
  • Nokia S60
  • Windows
  • Other

Overlay layers on the map (e.g. Traffic, Satellite, Terrain, search results, and more).

I'd like to share a map with you called Talisay City area:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid= 201578951975229333411.00044cf5f342f2ea241e6

What I don't like about Google My Maps, is this CHANGE to splitting Routes with many Track points, across several pages if too many!

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

Jeepney

The way to make Maps of the Philippines (Cebu in particular since that is where I live) BETTER, and that is to CONTRIBUTE, via GPS mapped Tracks, Routes, and Waypoints giving Points Of Interest (POI).

I am a Member of Google Map Maker and submitted a number of contributions (so much so, I just received an e-mail from Google asking if they can send me a Certificate, acknowledging this and a T-Shirt).

I also Contribute to Open Street Maps.

I also became a Contributor for RoadGuide.ph

The main advantage that I see for Google MyMaps (over Google Map Maker), is the fact there are no 'Moderators' approval, before you can view and use such 'MyMap' that I created.

I use such MyMaps as an 'overlay' on Mobile Google Maps.

So if I am planning to explore a new track, I can trace from Satellite image or another map and create a 'My Map' of the proposed Route.

Then, on my Mobile Phone (Nokia N95 8GB), and a Free WiFi connection available (preferable to paying for 3 or 3.5G connection), I launch Google Maps (V4.1.1)

Visit this URL in your phone's browser:m.google.com

Google Maps for mobile

Use Google Maps on your phone, and never carry a paper map again

• Android
  • BlackBerry
  • iPhone
  • Nokia S60
  • Windows
  • Other

Overlay layers on the map (e.g. Traffic, Satellite, Terrain, search results, and more).

I'd like to share a map with you called Talisay City area:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid= 201578951975229333411.00044cf5f342f2ea241e6

What I don't like about Google My Maps, is this CHANGE to splitting Routes with many Track points, across several pages if too many!

Hi David, all I can see is a dead link, Piet.

udonthani

what I would like to see is a really complete map of Cebu that shows how the smaller tracks connect with the main highways. On the Cebu map, some of them are shown, i.e. like the Dumanjug-Sibonga road, but not all of them.

for example from Consolacion, you can take not-all-that-bad small roads to connect with the Trans Central Highway to get to Balamban and the north west side. It's a big short cut and also means you miss out the worst of the traffic. But you'd have no idea these roads - which are not dirt tracks, but actually mostly quite good apart from a few potholes here and there - exist from the map of Cebu here.

musicman666

what I would like to see is a really complete map of Cebu that shows how the smaller tracks connect with the main highways. On the Cebu map, some of them are shown, i.e. like the Dumanjug-Sibonga road, but not all of them.

for example from Consolacion, you can take not-all-that-bad small roads to connect with the Trans Central Highway to get to Balamban and the north west side. It's a big short cut and also means you miss out the worst of the traffic. But you'd have no idea these roads - which are not dirt tracks, but actually mostly quite good apart from a few potholes here and there - exist from the map of Cebu here.

How you managed it without a map (gps) is amazing (im assuming you mean you avoided cebu city altogether) since that whole area is a mass of small roads or tracks. Were you on a bike or a car?

5955821261_a5be6ec3dc_b.jpg..open street maps

If you go to road guide.ph and download the demo map and install it onto a program called mapsource which they tell you how to download then you will see many ratrun type roads.

.....the only ones that come close are open street maps and google.... Combine all three and that will be the best.

You can see all those for free.

Nobody else including commercial or government are sitting on anything that can be considered more than a tourist map.....or land surveys.

Edited by musicman666
  • Like 1

udonthani

How you managed it without a map (gps) is amazing (im assuming you mean you avoided cebu city altogether) since that whole area is a mass of small roads or tracks. Were you on a bike or a car?

125cc bike. I've never driven a car in the Philippines. Smaller roads are relatively attractive on a small bike as opposed to cars, as you aren't going at any sort of speed on a 125 even on good roads. Therefore you aren't going all that much slower on the smaller tracks than you would otherwise.

I was surprised how easy it was to connect with the Trans Central from Consolacion. It wasn't difficult at all and the roads were not bad, apart from one or two brief sections where you had to go into 2nd gear. There's a real maze of them though.

this is not any sort of really remote 'back of beyond'. There's always people around you can ask if you think you may have taken a wrong turning.

if you look at the map, you should be able to connect with the Trans Central even farther along, from a turn off up the mountain about halfway between Compostela and Danao, but I never tried that. Maybe next time.

musicman666

I was surprised how easy it was to connect with the Trans Central from Consolacion. It wasn't difficult at all and the roads were not bad, apart from one or two brief sections where you had to go into 2nd gear. There's a real maze of them though.

... looking at the contours you acctually went over two 2000ft ridges somewhere along the way with this bitch of a valley in between... i just cant see a road that would be that easy.

udonthani

ask Paul Whiteway about it, he does it often. Really it's not all that difficult. I did get a little bit lost on the way back though, and ended up on a track that was slow going. That one dropped me opposite the sports center in Consolacion a few hundred meters further north, rather than opposite the Foodah.

the tracks from that turn off between Danao and Compostela surely would be much more difficult, as you'd have to get up to very nearly the peak of Mount Lanibga, Cebu's highest mountain, before joining the Transcentral about halfway between Cebu and Balamban - but even that is only 1680 feet, not 2000.