KennyF

What's best these days, take the 21 days on entry then extend at BOI or buy a 59 day visa at immigration when I land?

KonGC

TorJay

I would do it on landing.  It saves you the headache later.

Paul

Why not buy it now, while you are still in Oz?

Prior to going back to the Philippines in December, 2006, I purchased a 9(a) visa from the Philippine Embassy in Wellington, NZ.

KennyF

Because I live 100 km from the Philippines embassy so I would need to mail it.

This is not so difficult but probably easier and cheaper would be to either get one when I land or pay an agent in Cebu to do it once the initial 21 days is nearly up.

But I'm wondering how much of a hassle it would be to ask for it from the immigration desk when I land in Angeles (I land just after midnight).

KonGC

Prior to going back to the Philippines in December, 2006, I purchased a 9(a) visa from the Philippine Embassy in Wellington, NZ.

I did one once in Australia, and the form contains a lot more detailed questions, including .. Do you have any criminal convictions ? which didnt bother me, but, foolishly , I ticked the box, for visiting a friend, instead of holiday.. and they returned the form, wanting full details of my friend, including name, address, occupation.

Then my passport sat on someones desk for days because it was a holiday in the Philippines... and in the end i had to get my passport and visa overnight delivery back to Cairns to get it in time to fly.

panther

easiest way is do it when you get here after you reach 21 days why use an agent its just as simple to walk in boi yourself fill out one form of paper job done

KennyF

walk in boi yourself

I do not possess shoes.

Anyway, I recon 500 is cheap to have an agent look after it.

KonGC

• Like 1
udonthani

except no agent I ever heard of does it for 500. Even 5 years ago I didn't know anybody who did it for less than 700. The most well known guy and who is a member here and who does extensions in Cebu now charges 1200 as the basic fee. Getting a visa outside the Philippines you have to show a lot more than you do getting an extension inside. Onward ticket. Proof of financial capacity. You also need to be in one of the few cities that have a Filipine consulate or embassy to keep your costs down as you cannot get a postal application done without involving a notary public - who will almost always want paying. The Thais manage to process thousands of postal visa applications every year without any need for any notary public or anything else really although it is years since I applied for a Thai visa. I just mailed off your passport with the form, the fee and they returned it to me same way a few days later with the visa in the passport. Getting an extension from an office is not hard work and I'm sure I would not want the hassle of sorting it out immeadiately after arrival after a long flight, though maybe I would consider it after a short one from like Hong Kong. Better to have an extension done at the Cebu BoI than in Cagayan de Oro though. It takes a lot longer at CDO, one of the very slowest offices even though it is never anything like as busy as Cebu.

KennyF

except no agent I ever heard of does it for 500. Even 5 years ago I didn't know anybody who did it for less than 700. The most well known guy and who is a member here and who does extensions in Cebu now charges 1200 as the basic fee.

I and many dozens like me have used Blue Horizon for 6 years, 2005 to 2011.

500 pesos per time.

Left my passport with them in Cebu city, picking it up only when I had to leave the country.

They would email me when an extension was due, I would send the Gcash and they would send me back a scan of my passport via email.

They even wrote the 'Please sir' letter for the extended stay.

KonGC

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I do not possess shoes.

Anyway, I recon 500 is cheap to have an agent look after it.

KonGC

Why anyone on holiday would waste their time going to Immigration when they could pay 500 pesos to have someone do it for them is beyond me.

SkyMan

This is not so difficult but probably easier and cheaper would be to either get one when I land or pay an agent in Cebu to do it once the initial 21 days is nearly up.

Negative Ghost Rider.  At least it's cheaper to get the 9a in advance in the US, even with mailing.  But I know different RP embassies charge different amounts.
  • Like 1
udonthani

Why anyone on holiday would waste their time going to Immigration when they could pay 500 pesos to have someone do it for them is beyond me.

stop trying to get across this idea, that you can get an agent to do it for you, for 500. That is not, going to happen.

johnboy999

On my recent return from a visa run, I got the 59 days at Mactan airport no problem. As everyone was queuing up at passport control, I was sitting in the little immigration office while they processed my extension in about 10 minutes and then went straight through passport control as the queues were now gone. I've done this a few times now and each time I've gotten an official receipt so it's all above board. If you've got luggage to claim, you would only be waiting around at the airport anyway (obviously on a visa run I didn't have any checked luggage but for me, an extra 10 minutes at the airport was better than a trip to Mandaue after 21 days)

• Like 1
KennyF

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think when it comes to getting down to the post office, paying two registered envelopes and buying a postal note it will be easier and cheaper to get Blue Horizon to do the usual for me.

KonGC