Sign in to follow this  
retired

On-going ticket requirement

retired

I spoke with a cdo expat last evening that just returned from Bangkok and he was required to purchase an on-going ticket thru the Philippines despite the fact that he is a legal permanent resident of the Philippines . Can anyone explain the logic of this ? In his case he was aware of this before going to Bangkok and had the travel agent issue him a ticket out of Clarke ( Angeles City ) to somewhere in Malaysia for 2200p . Since it was an e-ticket and sent to his computer he was going to just change the dating and re-use for the requirement on future trips ( Mind you i am not encouraging this ) . Has anyone else had this experience ?

Alan

Steve
I spoke with a cdo expat last evening that just returned from Bangkok and he was required to purchase an on-going ticket thru the Philippines despite the fact that he is a legal permanent resident of the Philippines . Can anyone explain the logic of this ? In his case he was aware of this before going to Bangkok and had the travel agent issue him a ticket out of Clarke ( Angeles City ) to somewhere in Malaysia for 2200p . Since it was an e-ticket and sent to his computer he was going to just change the dating and re-use for the requirement on future trips ( Mind you i am not encouraging this ) . Has anyone else had this experience ?

Alan

I was just in the Phils for vacation two weeks ago (not an LPR) and when I came through Manila as my area of entry, the customs lady only asked how long I was staying. I told her the date that I was leaving (under 21 days) and she stamped my passport. She didn't even ask to see the ticket.

Tatoosh

I just bought an on-going ticket from Tiger air. Cost me 31 dollars. I'm good to go to Macau from Clark. This will satisfy the Immigration folks when I come back from Guam visa run. The gentleman that had to purchase the ticket may be "permanently" in the Philippines, but he doesn't have a long stay visa. So he gets whacked the same as anyone else on a tourist visa. I've been doing it for a year and a half now and have to make my visa run by the end of July. I decide to go ahead and get it done with in May.

Ayway, the Tiger Air ticket is 1271 pesos compared to the 2200 your friend spent. I can spend that other 1000 on something else.

retired
I just bought an on-going ticket from Tiger air. Cost me 31 dollars. I'm good to go to Macau from Clark. This will satisfy the Immigration folks when I come back from Guam visa run. The gentleman that had to purchase the ticket may be "permanently" in the Philippines, but he doesn't have a long stay visa. So he gets whacked the same as anyone else on a tourist visa. I've been doing it for a year and a half now and have to make my visa run by the end of July. I decide to go ahead and get it done with in May.

Ayway, the Tiger Air ticket is 1271 pesos compared to the 2200 your friend spent. I can spend that other 1000 on something else.

Tatoosh ,

I will follow up on this when i next see the other expat but he has been here for many yrs and i assumed he held an acr , etc . His trip to Bangkok was not a visa run but just a vacation with his filipino wife as i understand it . Anyway , there seems to be a good bit of confusion regarding this issue on other forums as well but then this is the Philippines :lol: Thanks for the input though ..

Alan

tom_shor

Me! Me! Spend it on me! :lol:

JohninCebu

They don't seem to be interested at imigration whether you have a ticket or not. I understand it is the airlines who enforce this rule if you start outside the RP but if he got a return ticket to BBK from CDO, I don't understand that at all. What was the airline?

Edited by johnrainey

retired
They don't seem to be interested at imigration whether you have a ticket or not. I understand it is the airlines who enforce this rule if you start outside the RP but if he got a return ticket to BBK from CDO, I don't understand that at all. What was the airline?

Clarification:

My friend lives in CDO . He flew rt Manila - Bangkok but also had to have an ongoing ticket before being allowed to board in Bangkok for Manila via Philippine Air. But same happened to another guy that flew out of Singapore . Think he flew Cebu Pacific .

Alan

tom_shor

Clarification:

My friend lives in CDO . He flew rt Manila - Bangkok but also had to have an ongoing ticket before being allowed to board in Bangkok for Manila via Philippine Air. But same happened to another guy that flew out of Singapore . Think he flew Cebu Pacific .

Alan

I think mostly the airlines enforce this because if you are denied entry and don't have a ticket they might have to fly you out on their dime.

Bob Ward

You know it's odd in some ways why this subject keeps coming up over and over. The main reason for the confusion is the sporadic enforcement by the airlines. For the record, it's not immigration that will be interested in an ongoing ticket. It is the airline flying you into the country.

That being said, I'm going to research the regulations and find out more.

Lee

I have never had immigration check my return flight and we travel a lot, but the airlines always check to make sure we have return or exit tickets.

Steve

I have checked several Philippine Consular sites and keep coming up with the same thing. The guidelines section is also posted on the Philippines Immigration website.

http://immigration.gov.ph//index.php?optio...6&Itemid=37

What is a Philippine Visa?

A Philippine Visa is an endorsement made on a travel document by a consular officer at a Philippine Embassy or Consulate abroad denoting that the visa application has been properly examined and that the bearer is permitted to proceed to the Philippines and request permission from the Philippine Immigration authorities at the ports of entries to enter the country. The visa thus issued is not a guarantee that the holder will be automatically admitted into the country, because the admission of foreign nationals into the Philippines is a function of the immigration authorities at the port of entry.

Guidelines on the Entry of Temporary Visitors to the Philippines

Nationals from countries listed below who are traveling to the Philippines for business and tourism purposes are allowed to enter the Philippines without visas for a stay not exceeding twenty-one (21) days, provided they hold valid tickets for their return journey to port of origin or next port of destination and their passports valid for a period of at least six (6) months beyond the contemplated period of stay. However, Immigration Officers at ports of entry may exercise their discretion to admit holders of passports valid for at least sixty (60) days beyond the intended period of stay.

Nationals from the following countries are allowed to enter the Philippines without a visa for a period of stay of twenty-one (21) days or less:

1 Andorra

2 Angola

3 Antigua and Barbuda

4 Argentina

5 Australia

6 Austria

7 Bahamas

8 Bahrain

9 Barbados

10 Belgium

11 Benin

12 Bhutan

13 Bolivia

14 Botswana

15 Brazil*

16 Brunei Darussalam

17 Bulgaria

18 Burkina Faso

19 Burundi

20 Cambodia

21 Cameroon

22 Canada

23 Cape Verde

24 Central African Republic

25 Chad

26 Chile

27 Colombia

28 Comoros

29 Congo

30 Costa Rica

31 Cote d

Tatoosh

Well, to add to the confusion, when I arrived on a tourist visa in March 2007 at Mactan, immigration very much did want to see my ongoing ticket. It was just a paper confirmation of a ticket printed from a computer and it was over the 21 day limit. The immigration officer warned me to get a visa extension, I thanked him and exited into the dark of the Philippine night, one very tired guy after flying in via Hong Kong from Seattle.

So different people have had different experiences. If it were me, I'd be ready to handle the question if it came up, whether it was an airline employee or an immigration officer asking it. I'd have my ongoing ticket requirement met somehow.

As for printing a bogus ticket/reservation, while it is tempting to save the 30 to 50 dollars (US) by doing that, if something goes wrong, it can be a ticket to trouble. I don't mean they will inquire into the ticket itself, at least initially. But if you get sideways with customs for some reason, if someone takes a swing at you in the airport (unlikely, I realize) and the authorities investigate, that is when your ticket might get moved from the frying pan directly into the fire. Since we are talking about long flights that cost a chunk of change and real vacations if not longer stays, saving 30 bucks or a bit more by creating a bogus ticket is a foolish economy in my opinion.

Lee

Hey all, once you are foreigner man married to a Filipina or a foreigner woman married to a Filipino or a returning Filipino, all the problems go away and you become a balikbayan and can stay a year at a time without any other visa, as long as you enter the Philippines with your Philippine spouse or have proof that you are of Filipino decent. The immigration then will stamp your passport BB for balikbayan and that stamp means you can stay for up to one year.

Maybe that is why they never check to see if we have return tickets? Just a guess.

twostrokes
Hey all, once you are foreigner man married to a Filipina or a foreigner woman married to a Filipino or a returning Filipino, all the problems go away and you become a balikbayan and can stay a year at a time without any other visa, as long as you enter the Philippines with your Philippine spouse or have proof that you are of Filipino decent. The immigration then will stamp your passport BB for balikbayan and that stamp means you can stay for up to one year.

Maybe that is why they never check to see if we have return tickets? Just a guess.

Like many things in the PI, many in jobs, don't know the rules they are there to enforce.....the on going ticket thing is actually only supposed to be for tourist or business people that come in "WITHOUT" a visa at all utilizing the 21 day stay. All others like those who have 59 day stay multiple entry visa, should not have to show an ongoing ticket....It has been a while since I have traveled there, but in that area, I can't find any changes in the requirements....I have flown into the country many times with a 1 year multiple entry via (good initially for 59 days), and never been ask about a exiting ticket. All my trips were with one way tickets...

So if it is the airlines doing this, it is from their own paranoia or a conspiracy among all airlines to force people with one way tickets to purchase at least something else and making it seem as if it is an immigration issue...Sounds like something PAL would start, others followed because they benefited in the long run.

Jim

Edited by twostrokes

aka

I have flown here 4 times now from Australia via Singapore with PAL, Cebu Pacific and Tiger Air and i have never been asked to show ongoing flight. Must be my honest face hehehe