Renting motorcycles -pitfalls and dangers

Runian

left a Php 10,000 bond, along with their passport, and went on their way. I never had any issues with renting.

what is this bond u speak of ? 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• Dolsos

• udonthani

• Ronin

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably 90% of resorts in the Visayas rent out motorcycles, and to my knowledge there are few problems, however, just a few warnings to note. My wife has been renting out motorcycles and jeeps to o

Good OP.   I have to say that the quality of bike rentals in Camiguin was amongst the best in the Visayas - but the price did reflect this.  Personally, I always pay the extra for good tyres and mir

it's actually more like 1%, or maybe 5%. You are doing it, but not all that many other resort owners are. The Philippines is not like Thailand where yes, it is common for resorts and guesthouses, even

Posted Images

Paul

Bond, or funds deposited, in case of anything being damaged on the motorbike, prior to its return. I had a contract they had to sign too.

udonthani

Filipinos hiring bikes never ask for any bond. Never. And they never ask for a passport, not even a copy usually though I would usually have one with me so they can know my identity if need be. Being asked for a passport even for them to just make a photcopy of it, has only ever happened to me in Angeles and Subic. On all the islands, they don't even ask for a photocopy. Only foreigner bike hirers have ever requested my passport - Stewart in Argao did, and Paul Whiteway in Cebu does as well when hiring bikes to people he doesn't already know.

Edited by udonthani
johnboy999

Think of it as equivalent to paying a deposit when you rent a house. At the end of the rental, if there's no damage you get your deposit (or bond) returned. If however you cause damage, the owner can pay for repairs from that deposit/bond.

Runian

Think of it as equivalent to paying a deposit when you rent a house. At the end of the rental, if there's no damage you get your deposit (or bond) returned. If however you cause damage, the owner can pay for repairs from that deposit/bond.

ah yeah :) deposit I understand, bond not so much 

smokey

Drunk drivers face stiffer fine

By Joyce Pangco Panares | Posted on May. 31, 2013 at 12:02am | 659 views

President Aquino has signed a new law imposing maximum fine of up to P500,000 and revocation of license of persons driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, presidential deputy spokesperson Abigail Valte said on Wednesday.

She said drivers suspected of being drugged or drunk will be pulled to the side of the road by law enforcement officers to undergo sobriety tests, breath analyzer or drug testing.

“A driver who refuses to undergo testing will be penalized. The license will be confiscated and revoked,” Valte said.

Republic Act 10586, or the Anti-Drunk and Anti-Drugged Driving Act of 2013, cites the following as signs of drunk or drugged driving: overspeeding, weaving, lane straddling, sudden stops, swerving, and poor coordination.

Law enforcers include the Land Transportation Office, the Philippine National Police and the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority. The LTO may also deputize traffic officers in towns and cities across the land.

Valte said the minimum penalty for drugged or drunk drivers involved in accident  will be three months imprisonment and fine ranging from P20,000 to P800,000, but if the accident resulted in physical injuries, the fine will be from P100,000 to P200,000.

If the accident resulted in homicide the fine will go up from P300,000 to P500,000 in addition to imprisonment, Valte said.

The license of non-professional drivers will be conrfiscated and suspended for 12 months for the first conviction and perpetually revoked after the second conviction, Valte said.

She said the new law is strict on professional drivers and warned them that on their first conviction their license will be confiscated and immediately revoked and they will be perpetually banned from driving.

Valte said owners of vehicles driven by offenders will also be held liable unless they can show that they “exercised extraordinary diligence in choosing the driver.”

Applicants for driver’s license will be required to complete an instruction course that provides information on safe driving, including the effects of alcohol on the ability of a person to drive, Valte said.

Professional drivers must take the course each time they renew their license, Valte said.

shadow

Drunk drivers face stiffer fine

By Joyce Pangco Panares | Posted on May. 31, 2013 at 12:02am | 659 views

President Aquino has signed a new law imposing maximum fine of up to P500,000 and revocation of license of persons driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, presidential deputy spokesperson Abigail Valte said on Wednesday.

She said drivers suspected of being drugged or drunk will be pulled to the side of the road by law enforcement officers to undergo sobriety tests, breath analyzer or drug testing.

“A driver who refuses to undergo testing will be penalized. The license will be confiscated and revoked,” Valte said.

Republic Act 10586, or the Anti-Drunk and Anti-Drugged Driving Act of 2013, cites the following as signs of drunk or drugged driving: overspeeding, weaving, lane straddling, sudden stops, swerving, and poor coordination.

Law enforcers include the Land Transportation Office, the Philippine National Police and the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority. The LTO may also deputize traffic officers in towns and cities across the land.

Valte said the minimum penalty for drugged or drunk drivers involved in accident  will be three months imprisonment and fine ranging from P20,000 to P800,000, but if the accident resulted in physical injuries, the fine will be from P100,000 to P200,000.

If the accident resulted in homicide the fine will go up from P300,000 to P500,000 in addition to imprisonment, Valte said.

The license of non-professional drivers will be conrfiscated and suspended for 12 months for the first conviction and perpetually revoked after the second conviction, Valte said.

She said the new law is strict on professional drivers and warned them that on their first conviction their license will be confiscated and immediately revoked and they will be perpetually banned from driving.

Valte said owners of vehicles driven by offenders will also be held liable unless they can show that they “exercised extraordinary diligence in choosing the driver.”

Applicants for driver’s license will be required to complete an instruction course that provides information on safe driving, including the effects of alcohol on the ability of a person to drive, Valte said.

Professional drivers must take the course each time they renew their license, Valte said.

Would this  not be worthy of a new subject?

Dolsos

Would this  not be worthy of a new subject?

If you rent a vehicle you own to a drunk driver you can be held liable under the proposal, how does that not fit under "pitfalls and dangers"? 

• Like 1
udonthani

what they are getting at I think is owners and managers of fleets like taxi firms and truck companies who know their cousin or friend who is a driver for them likes to sink a few before he drives but don't do anything about it. They're saying it's not just him, the driver, we can hit you, the company too if you can't show that you've been diligent about it. Not the miniscule number of foreigners who rent out vehicles, to other foreigners who don't matter.

Dolsos

Not the miniscule number of foreigners who rent out vehicles, to other foreigners who don't matter.

So you're saying if a foreigner rents a car or bike to another foreigner and eh drives drunk and rams a tricycle with a family with small children severely injuring or killing one or more of them the cops will say "well we could go after the owner but since he's a foreigner we won't".

Riiiiigggghhhhhttttttt.

• Like 1
udonthani

no of course I'm not, only the proposed legislation is not aimed in any way, at foreigners at all who were probably not even considered drawing it up and probably won't be in whatever shape it eventually becomes law. Because in Filipino legislative terms, foreigners like the small number who hire out motorbikes and other vehicles to other foreigners and never Filipinos, are totally irrelevant.

Dolsos

only the proposed legislation is not aimed in any way, at foreigners

I agree they aren't targetting foreigners but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be aware of it and the potential consequences.  I think its more aimed at businesses with drivers who are drinking on duty then tourist rentals because after I rent you my bike you can go get as blitzed as you want and how would I know or have control over it?  Or any way to check your history of drunk driving to not rent to you?

But I don't think they'll put in safeguards to protect businesses so its one more thing to be wary of.

udonthani

they are in the same place they were in the west about 40 or 50 years ago. They know that there are managers out there responsible for even quite large fleets who basically just give a nod and a wink to their drivers when they go out half drunk and they want to crack down on it.

Dolsos

Some of the drivers here will drink beer on their break while they unload the trucks.  I always thought that was quite safe but I suppose they're working hard enough they probably burn most of the alcohol off before they leave again... But still unusual for me to see it.

smokey

what they are getting at I think is owners and managers of fleets like taxi firms and truck companies who know their cousin or friend who is a driver for them likes to sink a few before he drives but don't do anything about it. They're saying it's not just him, the driver, we can hit you, the company too if you can't show that you've been diligent about it. Not the miniscule number of foreigners who rent out vehicles, to other foreigners who don't matter.

sure they would not be interested in arresting any foreigner when they can go after the locals ... ha ha ha 

• Like 1