Renting motorcycles -pitfalls and dangers

Topper

Personally, i think the foreign couple were lucky that they were renting from the resort with cash resources. many tourists rent from guys hanging around the quay who do not have any financial resources. Had this been the case the foreign couple would not have been able to pay their medical costs at the hospital as here on camiguin credit cards are not accepted, and one must have cash for emergencies .

Thanks for the heads-up on the bike rentals and the part about having extra cash with you just in case. We will be headed your way in August and plan to spend a couple of days at your place, so the information about the foreign tourists renting a motor bike really came in handy. I think we will just rent a trike with a driver after reading about the accident. Better safe than sorry I say.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• Dolsos

• udonthani

• Ronin

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably 90% of resorts in the Visayas rent out motorcycles, and to my knowledge there are few problems, however, just a few warnings to note. My wife has been renting out motorcycles and jeeps to o

Good OP.   I have to say that the quality of bike rentals in Camiguin was amongst the best in the Visayas - but the price did reflect this.  Personally, I always pay the extra for good tyres and mir

it's actually more like 1%, or maybe 5%. You are doing it, but not all that many other resort owners are. The Philippines is not like Thailand where yes, it is common for resorts and guesthouses, even

Posted Images

shadow

habal habal

pedicab

tricycle

skylab

In this area at least, pic number two would be called a tricycab, and number three would be called a pedicab, or less common,  a tricycle.

thebob

Yes, I've noticed that in Negros a motorcycle and sidecar (or combination in the UK) is often called a pedicab. In Cebu, pedicab or trisikad is usually peddled, and tricycle has a motor. 

I don't rent out motorcycles, but I would be very careful if I did. The tourists around Moalboal are far more dangerous than the locals, kids seem to be the safest, although they are fast they have better reactions.

I ride a lot of KM on 2 wheels and would say that well positioned mirrors are more necessary than a horn, but only marginally.

Edited by thebob
udonthani

names vary according to province. In fact I have found that habel habel or hubel hubel to refer to a motorcycle taxi is less common than just motor, with the emphasis on the last syllable, so it is prounced not motER but motOR. I would just say motor these days if I was asking for a lift on somebody's scooter. Everyone knows what it means. You should also be careful to say motor and not bike when asking about prices on a ferry. Bike means pedal cycle. Motor means motorbike.

smokey

I thought about renting my bike to tourists.  Its a cheap scooter and I don't use it much.  Because it is cheap it has a front disc brake and a rear drum brake, both operated by handlebar levers.  It means going down a gravel road hill with 2 on the bike is extremely difficult.  The back brake will not go on hard enough to stop the bike (unless you have a superman grip perhaps) so you need to use the front brake too.  The front brake caused the wheel to lock up on me last Sunday so the wife and I spilled onto the ground.  No damage to ourselves or the bike.

But this thread got me thinking if I rent that out to someone who spills it and goes to hospital, it sounds like I could have to pay the hospital bill AND repair the bike?  I think I'll sell it and get one with front and back disc brakes.

so that is why i keep falling ... i had a mio and it was set up that way and if you lock the front on the sand its going down often 

Bonjon

Good OP.

I have to say that the quality of bike rentals in Camiguin was amongst the best in the Visayas - but the price did reflect this.  Personally, I always pay the extra for good tyres and mirrors and generally newer bike. 

Have accident travel insurance that is valid in all areas of the Philippines, and covers road accidents.

There are very few policies that do cover motorbikes - none I know of for over 125cc.  The policies are worded very tightly.  Bike has to be roadworthy; helmets must be worn and rider must be licensed to ride the bike in his home country.  The list goes on.  Then you are most likely only covered for third party liability and no personal injury.  The policies that do cover bikes are much more expensive and it's really important to read the small print before you travel.  Check the position re cover for a pillion too.

I could write a whole thread on travel insurance.  In fact I might start one....... 

• Like 2
A_Simple_Man

i had a mio and it was set up that way and if you lock the front on the sand its going down often 

And its worse when you have the full automatic because when going slow the engine cuts out and does not slow you in the slightest.  I am going to look for a better motorcycle today.  Tired of that shit.

Canuck Joe

Habal habals are not trikes, they are a motorcycle with an extended seat etc... No sidecar.

habal habal half off

Canuck Joe

And its worse when you have the full automatic because when going slow the engine cuts out and does not slow you in the slightest.  I am going to look for a better motorcycle today.  Tired of that shit.

lol

sounds like you guys need ABS on the front....and yes there is a simple inline mechanical version for most scoots.

Chicken Stop brand rear brake pads are a big step up power wise but still lacking compared to rear disks,

auto clutch can be tuned so it stays engaged at lower rpm to give you a little engine braking.

new bike would be nice though!

Edited by Canuck Joe
Dolsos

I imagine one of the "sportier" scooters would have a better braking system, we're looking at getting a Hayate Fi or Mio Mx but no idea if the brakes are better or if its wishful thinking. 

If you buy new Honda has increased the warranty to 3yr/20k km which is pretty nice.

Edited by Dolsos
Canuck Joe

I imagine one of the "sportier" scooters would have a better braking system, we're looking at getting a Hayate Fi or Mio Mx but no idea if the brakes are better or if its wishful thinking. 

If you buy new Honda has increased the warranty to 3yr/20k km which is pretty nice.

the rear are still drum and just as weak on those bikes,

80% of a motorcycles stopping power comes from the front brake best to just learn how to use it properly.

Although Mio has an FI version, the twin shock on the Hayate would be better for full size kanos...if you want to stick to a scooter.

Of the the top of my head Honda XRM and Suzuki Raider 150r have rear disks....you could skid your back tire all over the place  :yahoo:

Edited by Canuck Joe
Dolsos

the rear are still drum and just as weak on those bikes,

80% of a motorcycles stopping power comes from the front brake best to just learn how to use it properly.

Although Mio has an FI version, the twin shock on the Hayate would be better for full size kanos...if you want to stick to a scooter.

Of the the top of my head Honda XRM and Suzuki Raider 150r have rear disks....you could skid your back tire all over the place  :yahoo:

Yeah, we were looking for a 125 for the heftier weight of me.  The mio mx is Fi, I had thought it was rear disc but been a while since I looked at it.  The Honda XRM's are extremely popular but I can't see why, they are hideous.  I guess they are pretty good bikes from a technical standpoint though.  I'd really like a Rouser220 or CBR150 (or really a ninja250) but can't really justify spending that much and probably not the best bikes to learn a clutch with.

shadow

Yeah, we were looking for a 125 for the heftier weight of me.  The mio mx is Fi, I had thought it was rear disc but been a while since I looked at it.  The Honda XRM's are extremely popular but I can't see why, they are hideous.  I guess they are pretty good bikes from a technical standpoint though.  I'd really like a Rouser220 or CBR150 (or really a ninja250) but can't really justify spending that much and probably not the best bikes to learn a clutch with.

XRMs are extremely durable. You might consider the Yamaha YBR 125, or the Yamaha FZ/SZ 150 series, great bikes and cheaper than the Rouser or Honda.

I've had the YBR125 for two years now. 20 thousand km and all that has been done is tires and replaced the chain. 50+ Km/liter and outruns most 150s. Am thinking now about the new SZ150 and renting out the YBR.

• Like 1
Dolsos

XRMs are extremely durable. You might consider the Yamaha YBR 125, or the Yamaha FZ/SZ 150 series, great bikes and cheaper than the Rouser or Honda.

The SZ16 is an option, I googled it a few times when I first saw it (its fairly new here I think) and saw a couple reviews of it in India, one of the biggest complaints was weak brakes. 

Rouser 135 is on sale for 64k or so, not a bad price and probably a safer bike to learn on, I saw a dealer on the way back from Cebu that had a sign "0% financing is back!" but I think it was suzuki, need to go back and check it out and see what the deal on that is.

shadow

The SZ16 is an option, I googled it a few times when I first saw it (its fairly new here I think) and saw a couple reviews of it in India, one of the biggest complaints was weak brakes. 

Rouser 135 is on sale for 64k or so, not a bad price and probably a safer bike to learn on, I saw a dealer on the way back from Cebu that had a sign "0% financing is back!" but I think it was suzuki, need to go back and check it out and see what the deal on that is.

I'm guessing the SZ16 has the same rear brakes (drum) as the YBR. Mine is not what I would consider weak at all, it will easily lock the rear wheel at highway speeds on dry pavement with 170 kilos on board.