Renting motorcycles -pitfalls and dangers

spritsail

Probably 90% of resorts in the Visayas rent out motorcycles, and to my knowledge there are few problems, however, just a few warnings to note.

My wife has been renting out motorcycles and jeeps to our guests for over a year with few problems. Unfortunately a young foreign couple staying at our resort was in collision with a young, unlicensed filippino motorcyclist.

The couple suffered extensive cuts and bruises and were immediately sent to the A & E at the local hospital, along with the young filippino who suffered head cuts as he was not wearing a helmet. My wife was summoned to the hospital as the couple had insufficient funds to cover the treatment and medication costs. She ended up having to pay the costs but was reimbursed later.

When sufficiently recovered they were all summoned to the local police station to make statements. The police apportioned blame equally on both parties involved, The young foreign couple were at fault for not paying sufficient attention to other road users, and the young pinoy for being unlicensed and for not paying due care and attention . As the young lad was from a poor family unable to pay for any damages, the foreign couple were told to pay.

Indignant that they were not totally at fault my wife offered to cover part of the costs and claim on our insurance. The young couple had to cut short their holiday and head for a better equipped hospital than our provincial hospital.

So as a word of warning, if renting a motorcycle, always make sure:

You wear and fasten an approved helmet

Do not take for granted what other road users will do as in your country of origin

Have some cash and documents when travelling even short distances

Have accident travel insurance that is valid in all areas of the Philippines, and covers road accidents.

If you are renting out motorcycles, make sure

Your insurance covers 3rd party liability, and accident damage

Be prepared to pick up some costs at short notice

This is only what I can think of at the moment, and if anyone has experience of accidents involving motorcycles, either renting them out or renting them, kindly subscribe to this thread.

• Like 5
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• Dolsos

• udonthani

• Canuck Joe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably 90% of resorts in the Visayas rent out motorcycles, and to my knowledge there are few problems, however, just a few warnings to note. My wife has been renting out motorcycles and jeeps to o

Good OP.   I have to say that the quality of bike rentals in Camiguin was amongst the best in the Visayas - but the price did reflect this.  Personally, I always pay the extra for good tyres and mir

it's actually more like 1%, or maybe 5%. You are doing it, but not all that many other resort owners are. The Philippines is not like Thailand where yes, it is common for resorts and guesthouses, even

Posted Images

David Kennedy

A lawyer who was head of Midtown hotel security at the time told me the police cannot force you to pay or hold you until you promise to pay etc.  Once the incident has been recorded on the police blotter you are free to go.  That was 13yrs ago though..?

spritsail

Personally, i think the foreign couple were lucky that they were renting from the resort with cash resources. many tourists rent from guys hanging around the quay who do not have any financial resources. Had this been the case the foreign couple would not have been able to pay their medical costs at the hospital as here on camiguin credit cards are not accepted, and one must have cash for emergencies .

I can't immagine if I was renting in bantayan with just habal habal drivers.. lol

A_Simple_Man

I thought about renting my bike to tourists.  Its a cheap scooter and I don't use it much.  Because it is cheap it has a front disc brake and a rear drum brake, both operated by handlebar levers.  It means going down a gravel road hill with 2 on the bike is extremely difficult.  The back brake will not go on hard enough to stop the bike (unless you have a superman grip perhaps) so you need to use the front brake too.  The front brake caused the wheel to lock up on me last Sunday so the wife and I spilled onto the ground.  No damage to ourselves or the bike.

But this thread got me thinking if I rent that out to someone who spills it and goes to hospital, it sounds like I could have to pay the hospital bill AND repair the bike?  I think I'll sell it and get one with front and back disc brakes.

KennyF

One of the problems with driving on a small island is that the locals don't even have the small amount of street experience that city dwellers have.

I found on Camiguin island that the locals tend to drive and ride the same way as one would walk.

And 'excuse me' doesn't cut it when they bang into you on a bike.

Much more often than in say, Cebu, riders will pull out onto the road without looking to check what was coming.

Bike riders will ride across cross roads with nary a glance left or right.

Then there's island kids who consider any flat surface a play ground.

Add to that the ten wheeler trucks that roar around the island demanding right of way.

I have friends and acquaintances who have paid out large sums of money in accident cases where they were not to blame.

YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN THE WRONG. YOU WILL ALWAYS PAY.

I kid you not. If a car smashes your motorbike while it's parked at the supermarket, YOU WILL END UP PAYING.

If you're on holiday, my advice is to get the cell number of a tuktuk driver and use him to take you everywhere.

I'm sure that locals like Spritsail and many other local expats on these islands will find a driver for you.

KonGC

udonthani

Probably 90% of resorts in the Visayas rent out motorcycles, and to my knowledge there are few problems, however, just a few warnings to note.

it's actually more like 1%, or maybe 5%. You are doing it, but not all that many other resort owners are. The Philippines is not like Thailand where yes, it is common for resorts and guesthouses, even budget ones, to rent out bikes as an ancillary sales line. Ask at the desk at pension houses and guesthouses in 90% of places in the Philippines, and all you will receive is a blank stare. It will be outside the field of experience of the reception staff. The number of places where you actually see a variety of motorbike rental places in visible competition with one another in the Philippines renting out bikes is low. Dumaguete. Siquijor. Bantyan. Panglao. Angeles. Camiguin is one place where it is easy to hire a bike but there are other islands just like it where it is not. Nobody is renting out bikes properly on the Camotes, for example. People have rented out bikes there, but it is intermittent and nobody is doing it properly. And nobody at all, nobody as in zilch, not even A_Simple_Man, or a busy resort like Marvin's in Naval, is doing it on Biliran.

Camiguin is one of the more difficult islands to drive. A lot of hilly, bendy roads. Dogs (which is what caused a spill I had there, whilst staying at Spiritsail's place). Unschooled peasant drivers and pedestrians that don't bother to look at or listen to anything and just wander into the highway randomly. As anywhere else slow right down whenever you come towards a settlement/town of some kind, where you can expect plenty of kids, even quiite tiny ones around the roadside at all hours. And then there is foreigner drivers like me who sometimes drive with alcohol in their system over and above what be called 'the limit' in the UK - although I have almost never drunk-driven to a ridiculous level and used to pay extra for a room to stay in Mambajao overnight if I'd had one too many beers there rather than drive the 17km back to Benoni. The two minor bike spills I have had in the Philippines involved no other vehicles.

• Like 1
Paul

a tuktuk driver

Don't you mean a tricycle or habal habal driver? :D

--------

To the topic, I rented motorbikes while I lived in Carcar. I had a contract signed by the parties involved, that they would be held responsible for any / all damages, loss due to theft, etc., of the bike while in their care.

They signed the agreement, left a Php 10,000 bond, along with their passport, and went on their way. I never had any issues with renting.

SkyMan

it's actually more like 1%, or maybe 5%. You are doing it, but not all that many other resort owners are.

Yeah, I don't think there are many resorts at all in the RP that rent bikes.  However, they almost always have the number of someone who does if there isn't a dealer hanging around outside the gate for that purpose.  The place we stayed in Bantayan, Kota Beach Resort, had a guy at the gate to rent scooters and arrange a banka day trip for us.  A TShirt and Flip Flop concierge if you will.

Camiguin is one of the more difficult islands to drive

Then you better just stay off scooters in the RP in general cause you ain't seen nuthin if you think Camiguin is a difficult ride. 
  • Like 1
KennyF

Yes, locals call them habal habal or trikes (maybe tricycle). I call them tuk tuks because I was living in Thailand for many years prior to Camiguin..

There's a name for the motor bike for hire too but for the life of me I can't remember what it is.

Most hubal hubal head for home after dark so it can pay to have one organized if you stay out late.

You can get a motorbike taxi after dark but I've noticed they're often a bit pissed  by then.

>>> along with their passport

I'm not sure if it's RP, Cambodia or Thailand but some embassies are getting upset about leaving passports with hire companies.

Their point is that the passport does not belong to the holder but rather to the government of the issuing country.

I've never hired a bike so I don't know from personal experience.

KonGC

shadow

Yes, locals call them habal habal or trikes (maybe tricycle). I call them tuk tuks because I was living in Thailand for many years prior to Camiguin..

There's a name for the motor bike for hire too but for the life of me I can't remember what it is.

Most hubal hubal head for home after dark so it can pay to have one organized if you stay out late.

You can get a motorbike taxi after dark but I've noticed they're often a bit pissed  by then.

I'm not sure if it's RP, Cambodia or Thailand but some embassies are getting upset about leaving passports with hire companies.

Their point is that the passport does not belong to the holder but rather to the government of the issuing country.

KonGC

KonGC

Habal habals are not trikes, they are a motorcycle with an extended seat etc... No sidecar.

Woolf

habal habal

pedicab

tricycle

skylab

post-6705-0-01143200-1369820309_thumb.jpg

post-6705-0-41874900-1369821128_thumb.jpg

post-6705-0-97100200-1369821210_thumb.jpg

post-6705-0-67947000-1369821517_thumb.jpg

KennyF

Habal habals are not trikes, they are a motorcycle with an extended seat etc... No sidecar.

Ah, it's amazing what two bottles of red and a couple of XXXX will do.

OK. Start again. On Camiguin (but not necessarily anywhere else).

A regular motorbike with a rider is a habal habal.

Similar to a Thai tuk tuk is called a motorila.

This is a motorila....

post-4822-0-48669000-1369821414_thumb.jpg

I personally have been known to call them tuktuks and trikes.

(even thought they have 4, not three, wheels)

Sorry for the confusion, I was getting......SQUIRREL!!!!