Retire to Cebu - Tonyji

Hello everyone,

I retired last year and now I'm thinking of moving to Cebu. I have been to Cebu in the past several times, each visit  being about 5 weeks each. My question to the forum is, what is the easiest way in which I can apply to stay there as a retired person? should I apply through the consulate here in New York before I leave or can I do the paperwork after arriving there? 

Thank you,

Tonyji

Headshot

Welcome Tony. I split your post off and gave you your own introduction thread. If you are single, probably the easiest way to stay here is just with a tourist visa. If, after you stay a while (like maybe a year), and you decide you really do want to make this your home, then you might want to think about an SRRV visa. I wouldn't do that unless you have been here long enough to know whether you can handle such a different culture. Of course, if you get married to a Filipina, then other avenues open up to you (like a 13A visa or a Balikbayan stamp...but both of those have requirements).

tomaw

Welcome Tony. I split your post off and gave you your own introduction thread. If you are single, probably the easiest way to stay here is just with a tourist visa. If, after you stay a while (like maybe a year), and you decide you really do want to make this your home, then you might want to think about an SRRV visa. I wouldn't do that unless you have been here long enough to know whether you can handle such a different culture. Of course, if you get married to a Filipina, then other avenues open up to you (like a 13A visa or a Balikbayan stamp...but both of those have requirements).

..........Hi Headshot. For a guy married to a Filipina like you and I, which is better, 13A or Balikbayan Stamp? If you don't mind my asking, which do you have? Edited by tomaw
Half Baked

Welcome Tony. I split your post off and gave you your own introduction thread. If you are single, probably the easiest way to stay here is just with a tourist visa. If, after you stay a while (like maybe a year), and you decide you really do want to make this your home, then you might want to think about an SRRV visa. I wouldn't do that unless you have been here long enough to know whether you can handle such a different culture. Of course, if you get married to a Filipina, then other avenues open up to you (like a 13A visa or a Balikbayan stamp...but both of those have requirements).Amen

Amen to that, Headshot!

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

..........Hi Headshot. For a guy married to a Filipina like you and I, which is better, 13A or Balikbayan Stamp? If you don't mind my asking, which do you have?

This would depend pn length of stay in country. 13a is better if you never up root. BB is better if you are flying in and on a constant basis or less then yearly.

Half Baked

Personally, I'm doing the BB stamp. Heck, I can use the 'once a year break' to get a change of scenery from Cebu!

Plus, I save a crap-load of money and headache by not going the 13A route. I would have HAD to taken the vacation away from Cebu, anyway!

Just my opinion, of course.

tomaw

This would depend pn length of stay in country. 13a is better if you never up root. BB is better if you are flying in and on a constant basis or less then yearly.

.......... Go it. Thanks.
Headshot

..........Hi Headshot. For a guy married to a Filipina like you and I, which is better, 13A or Balikbayan Stamp? If you don't mind my asking, which do you have?

I have a 13A. It's been two years since I've been out of the country, and I'm not planning a trip until next year, so that will make three years between exit fees. If you are planning to really settle down here, then it makes sense. If you are going to bounce back and forth between the US and the Philippines with your wife, then probably not so much. At that point, a BB Stamp would probably be much better for you.

Edited by Headshot