SkyMan

you just need to decide what kind of machine gun you'll be putting in the turret

Just one?

• Like 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• philuk

• Headshot

• SkyMan

• USCebuana

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the final design for the house i intend to build when the time comes,   It is shown  sitting on the 336 squre metre lot we have bought   Planned with chief architect X5 software, has livi

Philuk, here are my house plans. These plans are just the simplified floor plans. Everything on the first floor (with the exception of the garage, stairways and larger main bath are existing, We will

Verandahs and yards are great.   I find this is where you spend most of your time in a tropical environment.   We only get in the house to sleep.   But I'm a nature kinda guy.

Posted Images

philuk

A cavity wall is a double skin wall with a layer of insulation between

Knauf_Insulation_Mc01_masonry_cavity_wal

houses have been bilt this way for years in the UK,,  keeps the cold out in the winter and the heat out in the summer,,   works much like a thermos flask.

Though now domestic buildings are being built with a timber frame interior with a brick skin, for the simple reason of speed of bulid...

Headshot

You can have openings and windows on the sun side 

Which side of the house is the sunny side on Cebu? A third of the year, the sun is north of us. Two-thirds of the year, the sun is south of us. In the morning, the sun is east of the house, and in the afternoon, the sun is west of the house. All sides are sunny sides at some point.

What is a cavity wall? I'm not familiar with the term. 

Here is your answer...

Cavity walls consist of two 'skins' separated by a hollow space (cavity). The skins are commonly masonry such as brick or concrete block. Masonry is an absorbent material, and therefore will slowly draw rainwater or even humidity into the wall. The cavity serves as a way to drain this water back out through weep holes at the base of the wall system or above windows. A cavity wall with masonry as both inner and outer skins is more commonly referred to as a double width masonry wall.

The reason cavity insulation keeps heat in is that the polymer and air in the cavity are good insulators. This is because the distance between the particles in the air is greater than in a solid. Other benefits of cavity walls are their resistance to moisture from the outer side to the inner wall and the increase of sound proofing.

The cavity wall method of construction was introduced in Northwest Europe during the 19th century and gained widespread use from the 1920s. In some early examples stones were used to tie the two leaves of the cavity wall together. Initially cavity widths were extremely narrow and were primarily implemented to prevent the passage of moisture into the interior of the building. The widespread introduction of insulation into the cavity began in the 1970s with it becoming compulsory in building regulations during the 1990s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavity_wall

If the inner skin is framed (such as with lightweight steel framing), then the framing is normally insulated (fiberglass, foam, etc.) and the air space between skins is left untouched. If both skins are masonry, then there is usually sheet foam adhered to the cavity side of the inner skin with a smaller air separation between the foam and the outer skin to allow condensation to run out.

USCebuana

Which side of the house is the sunny side on Cebu? A third of the year, the sun is north of us. Two-thirds of the year, the sun is south of us. In the morning, the sun is east of the house, and in the afternoon, the sun is west of the house. All sides are sunny sides at some point.

Here is your answer...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavity_wall

If the inner skin is framed (such as with lightweight steel framing), then the framing is normally insulated (fiberglass, foam, etc.) and the air space between skins is left untouched. If both skins are masonry, then there is usually sheet foam adhered to the cavity side of the inner skin with a smaller air separation between the foam and the outer skin to allow condensation to run out.

Thank you. It seems a bit of an overkill in the Philippine tropical setting. Are there any local houses built with those walls?

Regarding the solar orientation, I don't really know which side that's why you have to be aware of site conditions. Microclimate conditions also vary widely even on the same island.

Edited by Headshot
Removed duplicate quote
Headshot

The building that Wombat's Womb (on Mactan) was in was built in this way (with two layers of CHB). I believe Phil just left the area between the layers empty though (no insulation). Something similar to this is how we are building the outside walls on the second floor of my home. We are using a foam-core sheeting product with expanded steel mesh on both faces. Then, you apply cement to both faces (which is held together by the expanded steel mesh), which gives you two layers of cement stucco separated by foam insulation. It is a much simpler method than building up two masonry walls.

• Like 1
philuk

The building that Wombat's Womb (on Mactan) was in was built in this way (with two layers of CHB). I believe Phil just left the area between the layers empty though (no insulation). Something similar to this is how we are building the outside walls on the second floor of my home. We are using a foam-core sheeting product with expanded steel mesh on both faces. Then, you apply cement to both faces (which is held together by the expanded steel mesh), which gives you two layers of cement stucco separated by foam insulation. It is a much simpler method than building up two masonry walls.

I and i think many others would be interested in the cooling effect of this method headshot,

How about some pictures along the way, maybe a weekly report..

Having an aircon unit in every window is more overkill than cavity wall insulation and more costly in the longrun

SkyMan

You're talking about the Tri-D panels right?

Headshot

You're talking about the Tri-D panels right?

Yeah, I think that's what they're called. Except it's spelled TridiPanels. It's wire mesh on the outside, and not expanded steel...my mistake. They are from 3M, and this link shows how they are installed.

http://www.3dsmartstructures.com/tridipanel_procedure.html

We won't be using any wood in the structure, so window openings and door openings will be framed in steel. We will have heavy steel columns and beams, so the TridiPanels won't be bearing any load

Edited by Headshot
USCebuana

It's good to know there are a lot more materials available there now. How does it compare with gyp board price wise? Is gypsum board available locally? Can you make this load bearing?