philuk

Philuk, here are my house plans. These plans are just the simplified floor plans. Everything on the first floor (with the exception of the garage, stairways and larger main bath are existing, We will tear out a bedroom to make room for the inside stairs and larger bath. Everything on the second floor is new construction.

attachicon.gifFloor Plan 1.jpg 

attachicon.gifFloor Plan 2.jpg

Is this how you want the design to be. or is it your architects plan you had him do.

i like the big family room with access out onto the terrace

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• philuk

• Headshot

• SkyMan

• USCebuana

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the final design for the house i intend to build when the time comes,   It is shown  sitting on the 336 squre metre lot we have bought   Planned with chief architect X5 software, has livi

Philuk, here are my house plans. These plans are just the simplified floor plans. Everything on the first floor (with the exception of the garage, stairways and larger main bath are existing, We will

Verandahs and yards are great.   I find this is where you spend most of your time in a tropical environment.   We only get in the house to sleep.   But I'm a nature kinda guy.

Posted Images

Headshot

Is this how you want the design to be. or is it your architects plan you had him do.

i like the big family room with access out onto the terrace

This was my design from the beginning...although the plans originally had first and second floor arched verandas around much of the house. The interior design hasn't changed. The architect was just copying my design and flushing it out (structural drawing and concrete details).  

Here are my original plans...

post-6379-0-55045700-1369923136_thumb.jpg

post-6379-0-75366500-1369923139_thumb.jpg

You can see the original plans were more complex (and way more expensive) even though it was essentially the same layout. The only thing we lost was some roof over some areas and the narrow veranda and balcony around the back and sides of the house on the second level. Cutting out those few things reduced the price tag by a third.

Edited by Headshot
sperry

I was not getting shirty, i was taking the piss,

constuctive critisism is one thing, some of your sugestions were not,

as for this latest offering,

Ventilated cavities don't work, the hot air cannot vent quickly enough to stop transfer of heat to the inner wall,

and who in thier right mind would put a sewer pipe in a closed cavity, what hapens if you get a leak ???? and the run from the front door all the way around the house would require a fall of at least  1 in 80, also would require manhole covers at every bend, the septic tank would need to be very deep in the ground.

In a nutshell, we brits have learned that what keeps it in will keep it out, It is all about heat transfer, if you can stop it problem solved

A house designed to keep heat in, will also keep the heat out, much like a thermos flask...  so a bad weather house is ideal for a very hot country

there a lot of papaers on the net hat say that ventilated cavities do work.  it depends on wind direction, cavity width, air inlets/outlets etc. Your blanket statement is bunkum.

pplenty of people in their right mind put pipes in a bricked cavity - what do you think a pipe chase is?

you can do without manhole covers at each bend if you use a wider radius, well placed rodding eyes and a karcher to deal with blockages. just because they may be british buildings reg doesnt mean they are necessary

at 1 in 80, 10 metres of drain needs about 12.5 cm of incline. this will make no real difference to your sepric tank. ut talking crap hahaha

with all due respect (which in practice is none) brits know sweet FA about house cooling.

anyway you will have loads of problems with your plumbing if you dont change your design or take great care.

but i cant be bothered telling you all the other stuff that sucks with your design. your just spitting ur dummy cos someone told you the truth about ur design.

philuk

This was my design from the beginning...although the plans originally had first and second floor arched verandas around much of the house. The interior design hasn't changed. The architect was just copying my design and flushing it out (structural drawing and concrete details).  

Here are my original plans...

attachicon.gifOriginal Floor 1.jpg

attachicon.gifOriginal Floor 2.jpg

You can see the original plans were more complex (and way more expensive) even though it was essentially the same layout. The only thing we lost was some roof over some areas and the narrow veranda and balcony around the back and sides of the house on the second level. Cutting out those few things reduced the price tag by a third.

Hi HS,  Its a shame the budget wont allow for the veranda's, can imagine it would look great,

if the budget allows in the future, then roofs could be added over the garage balcony,

The only thing i would be tempted to change would be the stairs in the main house,  Instead of hiding them behind a wall as in the plan, I would turn them 90 degrees clockwise

and make them more of a feature in the dining room and they would finish up in the living room, right close to the doors for the balcony, with some nice balustrades and handrails they would

make a nice feature in the family room 

But at the end of the day, if it works for you and yours then it is all good 

philuk

familyroom_zps4f528c99.jpg

openstair_zps15488d00.jpg

kind of like this ,  or if you want the cupboard under the stairs then like this

closedstaircase_zps448212e8.jpg

This way will give you more natural light down the hallways  downstairs and especially upstairs

this is just my input as to what i would change to your design, but your plan is great and it works

Edited by philuk
Headshot

Turning the stairs and opening them up would make the dining room the most traveled location in the house, with the stairs emptying out into the dining room table. I actually looked at that and decided against it...mostly for the following reasons...

There are two steps up from the dining room to the hall, which I calculated into my staircase. Starting in the hall allows me to have two less stairs in the staircase to the second floor. My ceilings are 9 1/2 feet high, so it is already a stretch to reach the second floor in that area.

The first floor is existing, and the area where the stairs will be is at the bedroom grade rather than at the dining room grade, which means the foundation under it would have to be redone.

Even my interior walls in the existing first floor are steel reinforced concrete. Because of that, I would prefer to do the least amount of demolition that I can get away with (especially since the first floor is already pretty much finished in)...so tearing out the walls around the staircase is not going to happen.

This may make it look like I don't appreciate the input, and that isn't true. I DO appreciate that you looked at the plans to find some alternative ways to do things, and if you see anything else, I would like to hear about it. The blueprints have already gone in to the City Engineer for approval and I have already approved my contractor's bid for the work based on those plans, so I can't really change anything major, but I can still tweak things a bit. We should start work on the addition within a week or so...I'm hoping. We have already wasted the entire dry season when this project should have been underway. Now, we will get a lot more rain delays during construction. I'm not very happy about that. The design phase took way too long on this project.

philuk

no probs headshot, you know your house better than anyone,  and i get it now that the downstairs is prety much set in stone/concrete

and like i said, its a great layout and if it works for you then it is 100% right,

bedroom in each corner,  the bathrooms are well placed above each other making a wet wall at that side of the house which will greatly reduce plumbing costs, (unlike that which has been sugested elswhere in this thread), 

You know what you want and how to work the building, the best way to suite your needs,

i just hope the build goes well for you and you dont get too many rained off days

Headshot

Hi HS,  Its a shame the budget wont allow for the veranda's, can imagine it would look great,

if the budget allows in the future, then roofs could be added over the garage balcony.

If you notice, the roof in the original plans extended out over the veranda and the balcony, which created a lot more stresses all the way down to the foundation. By removing the verandas and the covered balcony, it allowed me to narrow the roof considerably and reduce the stresses (which was how I reduced the budget so much). The balconies on the other side of the house and in the back (with the exception of what is already there over the changing room that we now use for storage) will also never happen. That's OK. They were going to cause me a lot of problems in getting the building permit because they went all the way to my boundary wall (even though it is actually on my property.

Because we won't be beefing foundations and columns up to take the additional stresses and loads of the heavier roof and floors, the roof over the balcony will never happen (and the verandas will never happen either). However, like I said, I can have a barangay tent made for not very much money to give me shade over that area if we decide we need it. I'm a big believer in trees for shade (as well as fruit), So I'm hoping that will at least help on the balcony. We already have a large mango tree in our yard, and we will plant several more trees next year when we put in the pool and landscaping.

I'm actually happier with the new plan than with the original plan with the exception of the shade issue for the exterior walls of the house. The design is much cleaner now, and the verandas and additional balconies would probably see limited use.

Headshot

no probs headshot, you know your house better than anyone,  and i get it now that the downstairs is prety much set in stone/concrete

and like i said, its a great layout and if it works for you then it is 100% right,

bedroom in each corner,  the bathrooms are well placed above each other making a wet wall at that side of the house which will greatly reduce plumbing costs, (unlike that which has been sugested elswhere in this thread), 

You know what you want and how to work the building, the best way to suit your needs,

i just hope the build goes well for you and you dont get too many rained off days

You should have seen it when we bought the house. What is now the master suite was then three smaller bedrooms, with what is now the closet as one bedroom and the master bedroom cut in two. Also, it had parquet flooring that was lifting up everywhere, so I ripped it out and replaced it with large (2'x2') marble tiles set at a 45 degree angle to the walls. It completely changed the appearance of the interior of the house. The only rooms we didn't touch in our original remodel were a bedroom where the stairs will be and the main bath, which will be larger since the stairs don't need all of the space occupied by the bedroom that is there now. So, those two rooms get gutted and repurposed with the new design, but there shouldn't be much other impact on the first floor due to this project.

On the wet wall, if you look at the floor plan of the first floor bath, you will see a void behind the linen storage (next to the bathtub) where water lines and sewer lines can connect the first and second floor baths. That way, I don't have to damage existing walls. There will be a vent pipe that goes up through the wall between the stairs and the second floor bath and out through the roof, which is something you don't see much of here (proper venting).

philuk

Sounds like great project headshot. and i agree totally with the venting of the waste pipe. most toilets i have used over there have have the dreaded gurgle as the water in the pan dissapears and reapears.
you have obviously thought this revamp through and you have it all sorted out. .
but i feel sure sperry will have a shit load of great ideas for you to mull over. have fun with the build and try not get too stressed out over it.

Edited by Headshot
Removed duplicate post
Headshot

Stress? What's that?

• 3 weeks later...
USCebuana

So OP did you have construction documents made on your plan already? Just a suggestion, I think you should seek the advise of an architect in the Philippines. Most of them are competent and it's not that expensive. These houses are planned according to aesthetics, function, codes and to fit into the local environment. No disrespect but the house is too closed off for a house in a tropical climate. Have you studied where the prevailing breezes come from or where the midday sun hits the house? Proper orientation and natural ventilation will save you a lot on your cooling bills. There are also problems with traffic and circulation, examples are the location of the stairs being too far back and not centrally located and the kitchen's location relative to the garage. Have you been to the site? Do you know the grade, drainage pattern, location of utility lines? A professional will know how to consider these factors when planning your house. 

Edited by USCebuana
philuk

So OP did you have construction documents made on your plan already? Just a suggestion, I think you should seek the advise of an architect in the Philippines. Most of them are competent and it's not that expensive. These houses are planned according to aesthetics, function, codes and to fit into the local environment. No disrespect but the house is too closed off for a house in a tropical climate. Have you studied where the prevailing breezes come from or where the midday sun hits the house? Proper orientation and natural ventilation will save you a lot on your cooling bills. There are also problems with traffic and circulation, examples are the location of the stairs being too far back and not centrally located and the kitchen's location relative to the garage. Have you been to the site? Do you know the grade, drainage pattern, location of utility lines? A professional will know how to consider these factors when planning your house. 

hi and thanks for the coment, all good and great advice,

yes i have visited the lot, before we purchased it, the front of the house is facing near to perfect north, so the sun comes up over the wall by the garage and obviously sets the other side of the house, where there are no windows either, so for the best part there will be no sun directly on any windows, all walls will be cavity insulated and so will the roof,

The hardest part of designing a house is always the location of the staircase, it should always come up near to centre as possible upstairs, most of the time we will spend on the rear porch or the verandah so for us the location of the stairs is spot on,

if you read back a few posts, you will see i have explained the garage is realy a hobby shop for me, not really a garage, it only has a garage door so that i can build it right up to the boundary, otherwise by the sub divs rules it would have to be set back three metres,

You are not the first to mention about distances between parts of the house, can you explain to me how it would be possible to shorten the distance between point A and B and then C and D without making a house smaller, not everything in a house can be central to everything else,   The furthest i would nave to walk from any outside door to outside door or even outside door to carport or garage / kitchen is roughly  twenty four feet, not a great marathon by any stretch,

as for it fitting in with neighbouring properties i dont think there will be a problem

DSCF0669_zpsff120798.jpg

as can be seen from this picture which was taken early morning where the sun rises over our neighbours house the car is parked oposite the front door the electric pole is also clearly shown on the opposite corner,

f_330618458-3207804333.jpeg     this one is just around the corner from our lot 9 bedrooms 7 bathrooms, has a pool on the market for 33,000,000.

we have shown the outline plan to the sub div engineer, and he has already aproved the design, but i will be getting working drawings made up by an engineer before we break ground

thank you for your great input,     but can you explain "too closed off"  are you refering to ventilation or windows, if it is windows then east / west windows in this orientation would make the house near  to impossible to keep cool

• Admin (Retired)
broden

you just need to decide what kind of machine gun you'll be putting in the turret

USCebuana

Just a suggestion OP. Move the stairs forward in a 2 storey hall or foyer with direct access to the outside and the living room. Move the dining room to the back next to the kitchen. Install sliding doors to have access to the backyard with opportunities for outdoor dining. I would move the hobby room behind  the carport if it does not need direct access to the street.

On the second floor, I would make the veranda smaller and have a family room instead that opens onto a smaller veranda. I would eliminate the hallway that leads to the veranda.

Your house does not need to be that big.There is a lot of not very usable spaces. 

You can have openings and windows on the sun side but you need to install overhangs on the openings. Integrate it into the design of the house. 

What is a cavity wall? I'm not familiar with the term. 

Edited by USCebuana