• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• philuk

• Headshot

• SkyMan

• USCebuana

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the final design for the house i intend to build when the time comes,   It is shown  sitting on the 336 squre metre lot we have bought   Planned with chief architect X5 software, has livi

Philuk, here are my house plans. These plans are just the simplified floor plans. Everything on the first floor (with the exception of the garage, stairways and larger main bath are existing, We will

Verandahs and yards are great.   I find this is where you spend most of your time in a tropical environment.   We only get in the house to sleep.   But I'm a nature kinda guy.

Posted Images

sperry

sorry to say but I dont like the plan for the following reasons:

1: front door straight into living room

2: long way from garage to kitchen when ur bringing in the groceries and u can get wet

3: you dont show north on the plans so its impossible to know if the house is well oriented

4. you will never use the veranda, especailly in the mornings. Once you gone downstairs to make tea, you will go outside on the patio. You wont go upstairs to the veranda which will never get much sun.

5. swap the upstairs bathroom so it between the bedroom and the veranda. this will give you space to put a proper window in the bedroom.

6. put the cuboards between the bedrooms so they provide soundproofing, and build them slightly in out ie 50% in bedoom and 50% in other so the wall is almost straight. this will stop them looking so massive in the smallish bedrooms

7. i think ventilated cavities will keep the house cooler than insulated cavities

8. i doubt if your eaves stick out enough for them to keep the sun off the windows. you will pay for this mistake in aircon charges

9. if u do put a pool table on the veranda, make sure you have  bar with sink and fridge so ur not constantly crossing the whole house to get a beer glass

10. you have wasted space near the entrance to the veranda

11. your upstairs hall is long boring badly shaped and will be probably be quite dingy. leaving the master bedroom to go downstairs will be like walking through a maze

12. dont know ur family size but 4 beds is big.  if one is for visitors reduce number of bedrooms, and put the visitors up in a hotel

13. whats the space bewteen the master bedroom and the other bathroom for? its too big to be a cupboard and too small to be a dressing room. get rid.

14. if u want dressing room, put between the bedroom and the en suite. that way you wont get to hear ur loved one taking a dump and accompanying lbm splatters. and allows her to chnage into something comfortable after cleaning naughty bits but before u see her which is a lot more romantic.

15, if u really need 4 bedrooms u really need a bigger fridge

16. the toilet is too inaccessible. create an entrance hall, and put the toilet in there

thats enough for now.

philuk

sorry to say but I dont like the plan for the following reasons:

1: front door straight into living room

2: long way from garage to kitchen when ur bringing in the groceries and u can get wet

3: you dont show north on the plans so its impossible to know if the house is well oriented

4. you will never use the veranda, especailly in the mornings. Once you gone downstairs to make tea, you will go outside on the patio. You wont go upstairs to the veranda which will never get much sun.

5. swap the upstairs bathroom so it between the bedroom and the veranda. this will give you space to put a proper window in the bedroom.

6. put the cuboards between the bedrooms so they provide soundproofing, and build them slightly in out ie 50% in bedoom and 50% in other so the wall is almost straight. this will stop them looking so massive in the smallish bedrooms

7. i think ventilated cavities will keep the house cooler than insulated cavities

8. i doubt if your eaves stick out enough for them to keep the sun off the windows. you will pay for this mistake in aircon charges

9. if u do put a pool table on the veranda, make sure you have  bar with sink and fridge so ur not constantly crossing the whole house to get a beer glass

10. you have wasted space near the entrance to the veranda

11. your upstairs hall is long boring badly shaped and will be probably be quite dingy. leaving the master bedroom to go downstairs will be like walking through a maze

12. dont know ur family size but 4 beds is big.  if one is for visitors reduce number of bedrooms, and put the visitors up in a hotel

13. whats the space bewteen the master bedroom and the other bathroom for? its too big to be a cupboard and too small to be a dressing room. get rid.

14. if u want dressing room, put between the bedroom and the en suite. that way you wont get to hear ur loved one taking a dump and accompanying lbm splatters. and allows her to chnage into something comfortable after cleaning naughty bits but before u see her which is a lot more romantic.

15, if u really need 4 bedrooms u really need a bigger fridge

16. the toilet is too inaccessible. create an entrance hall, and put the toilet in there

thats enough for now.

Wow, where do we start,, number 1 perhaps

1, and 16,  the front door has to go somewhere, front of the  house seems to be a good place, just happens that is where the living room is, an entrance hall would mean more walls and less space in the diownstairs rooms, how would you propose to get the soil pipe from the toilet in the front of the house to the rear of the house where the septic tank will be, again same question if i swap the upstairs bedroom for the bathroom,,   where would you run the soil pipe,,, or perhaps a bucket,,         It is good practice when designing a house that you have a wet wall with all the water stuff as close together a possible,,  

2 if you had bothered to read the thread, you would know the garage is a fake and is a hobby room more than a garage, also the rear veranda roof would stop me from getting wet, twelve steps is not too far, i can still manage that distance

3 The front of the house is just shy of north so the sun will come up over the garage end of the house and set the veranda side of the house so no direct sun will be scorching through any windows,,,   :dance:

4. there will be a small bar up there with a kettle and all the makings for a cuppa so would be no need to go downstairs,,  as for sun, how many verandas have you been on in direct sun  in the philippines,   It would be more comfortable to pour petrol on myself and strike a match,  again please read previous posts

5. see number 1 regards plumbing,,,,  please explain proper window, 

6.  fitted wardrobes is not a bad idea but constricts the room and cannot be changed,,, Have you not heard of soundproofing,, egg trays between wall skins is probably one of the most efective methods, and the cheapest...

7. Explain a ventilated cavity ?  ...  If the heat cannot pass through a wall then the inside and outside temperatures will remain different,

8. see 3, the sun will not be shining through any windows due to perfect orientation of the house

9. see 4

10. dont worry the wife has her eye on that area for a linnen cupboard

11. no other way i can do it and connect all the rooms unless i make it diagonal and the rooms triangular, if i move the master bedroom door to where i think you would have it, it would mess up the wall i will be putting the tv on directly in front of the bed,

12. four beds is pretty average, some houses smaller than this in the phil's would have five beds and six bathrooms,

13. third guess would be a walk in wardrobe,,,,

14. I normaly help with all of the above so no prob.. and besides its coming up to seven year aniversary, there is nothing i have not seen or heard

15, fridge is hidden behind a door in the kitchen so could be big enough

16. perhaps the toilet should have a wider door...  to make it more accessible, most of the time will be spent at the back of the house, why would you want the toilet at the front, and again problem with the plumbing,

Thats enough for now,,,  Dont like the sound of this,,,   not feeling the love,,    cant wait for part two

Edited by philuk
Dolsos

Didn't work.  :(

I downloaded x3 from a torrent, if you're interested I could probably find x5 and burn you a copy.  

I didn't get the tutorials with mine though, I can get floor plans done pretty well but I definitely can't get the renderings to look as good as he did.

SkyMan

I downloaded x3 from a torrent, if you're interested I could probably find x5 and burn you a copy.

Thanks, I could do that too if I needed it.  Just figured I'd grab the latest if it was right there already available. When I need to do another I'll look for the latest torrent.

I didn't get the tutorials with mine though, I can get floor plans done pretty well but I definitely can't get the renderings to look as good as he did.

I think the tutorial was on the CA site.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
Dolsos

Thanks, I could do that too if I needed it.  Just figured I'd grab the latest if it was right there already available.  When I need to do another I'll look for the latest torrent.

Maybe he can upload it to that cloud service Paul mentioned a couple days ago, seems to be alot of interest for it here.  

Bill H

The coolest non A/C house I have ever been in here had two things this house does not have:

1.  High ceilings with vents in the ceiling for heat to escape the room.

2.  An atrium structure in the center of the house that goes all the way to the roof with vents at the top to give the heat an escape point.  I've spent some time in a house using this design and found it wonderfully cool, even in the heat of the day.

Like boats, house are naught but compromises.  If I were going to build here though, I'd follow the above design and use a lot of insulation and venting.

• Like 2
SkyMan

Actually I think your biggest design flaw is:

Will be Angeles City, luzon, got family there

But that does work for some people.

philuk

I have just tried the links, and it takes me straight to the download, and downloads

If anyone wants it I can email the the links to them just pm me your email

or for the torrent downloaders, go to extra torrents and search for chief architect x5,     there is only one on there to choose from

Actually I think your biggest design flaw is:

But that does work for some people.

works for me, they are a great family,  helped us a lot, in many ways

sperry

Wow, where do we start,, number 1 perhaps

1, and 16,  the front door has to go somewhere, front of the  house seems to be a good place, just happens that is where the living room is, an entrance hall would mean more walls and less space in the diownstairs rooms, how would you propose to get the soil pipe from the toilet in the front of the house to the rear of the house where the septic tank will be, again same question if i swap the upstairs bedroom for the bathroom,,   where would you run the soil pipe,,, or perhaps a bucket,,         It is good practice when designing a house that you have a wet wall with all the water stuff as close together a possible,,  

2 if you had bothered to read the thread, you would know the garage is a fake and is a hobby room more than a garage, also the rear veranda roof would stop me from getting wet, twelve steps is not too far, i can still manage that distance

3 The front of the house is just shy of north so the sun will come up over the garage end of the house and set the veranda side of the house so no direct sun will be scorching through any windows,,,   :dance:

4. there will be a small bar up there with a kettle and all the makings for a cuppa so would be no need to go downstairs,,  as for sun, how many verandas have you been on in direct sun  in the philippines,   It would be more comfortable to pour petrol on myself and strike a match,  again please read previous posts

5. see number 1 regards plumbing,,,,  please explain proper window, 

6.  fitted wardrobes is not a bad idea but constricts the room and cannot be changed,,, Have you not heard of soundproofing,, egg trays between wall skins is probably one of the most efective methods, and the cheapest...

7. Explain a ventilated cavity ?  ...  If the heat cannot pass through a wall then the inside and outside temperatures will remain different,

8. see 3, the sun will not be shining through any windows due to perfect orientation of the house

9. see 4

10. dont worry the wife has her eye on that area for a linnen cupboard

11. no other way i can do it and connect all the rooms unless i make it diagonal and the rooms triangular, if i move the master bedroom door to where i think you would have it, it would mess up the wall i will be putting the tv on directly in front of the bed,

12. four beds is pretty average, some houses smaller than this in the phil's would have five beds and six bathrooms,

13. third guess would be a walk in wardrobe,,,,

14. I normaly help with all of the above so no prob.. and besides its coming up to seven year aniversary, there is nothing i have not seen or heard

15, fridge is hidden behind a door in the kitchen so could be big enough

16. perhaps the toilet should have a wider door...  to make it more accessible, most of the time will be spent at the back of the house, why would you want the toilet at the front, and again problem with the plumbing,

Thats enough for now,,,  Dont like the sound of this,,,   not feeling the love,,    cant wait for part two

no need to get shirty. you asked for constructive cticism; i gave you some.

ventilated cavities - dont put insulation inside, include ventilation bricks top and bottom which creates airflow in the cavity and will keep it cooler. it also reduces chance of water transfer across cavity and reduces humidity problems

if you have cavity walls you can put the drain pipes in the cavity, and do the horizontal runs underground outside the house

if you have a kettel on the veranda, you will need clean cups, so u will want a sink, and that means water supply and drainage

but in a nutshell, you have designed a british style house for the philippines. if i was gonna build i would concentarte far more on cooling, and have a house where the inside/outside were more integrated.

you have designed a bad weather house for a good weathercountry which i think ultimately will not give you the satisfaction you hope for.

what you should look for is easy access from kitchen to outside, make it as easy to eat outside as inside. pan on main dining is outside in shade with fans for cooling, in a green patio where neighbours cant see  think about making the kitchen the hub, where the patio and living areas blend into one.

and if u r in angeles think about security. a lotta baddies up there.

but do what you want. im never going to see the place so i dont really care

though having said that qatar are going to start flying into clark (god knows why) so maybe i will but only from b5k feet

Edited by sperry
  • Like 1
philuk

no need to get shirty. you asked for constructive cticism; i gave you some.

ventilated cavities - dont put insulation inside, include ventilation bricks top and bottom which creates airflow in the cavity and will keep it cooler. it also reduces chance of water transfer across cavity and reduces humidity problems

if you have cavity walls you can put the drain pipes in the cavity, and do the horizontal runs underground outside the house

if you have a kettel on the veranda, you will need clean cups, so u will want a sink, and that means water supply and drainage

but in a nutshell, you have designed a british style house for the philippines. if i was gonna build i would concentarte far more on cooling, and have a house where the inside/outside were more integrated.

you have designed a bad weather house for a good weathercountry which i think ultimately will not give you the satisfaction you hope for.

what you should look for is easy access from kitchen to outside, make it as easy to eat outside as inside. pan on main dining is outside in shade with fans for cooling, in a green patio where neighbours cant see  think about making the kitchen the hub, where the patio and living areas blend into one.

and if u r in angeles think about security. a lotta baddies up there.

but do what you want. im never going to see the place so i dont really care

though having said that qatar are going to start flying into clark (god knows why) so maybe i will but only from b5k feet

I was not getting shirty, i was taking the piss,

constuctive critisism is one thing, some of your sugestions were not,

as for this latest offering,

Ventilated cavities don't work, the hot air cannot vent quickly enough to stop transfer of heat to the inner wall,

and who in thier right mind would put a sewer pipe in a closed cavity, what hapens if you get a leak ???? and the run from the front door all the way around the house would require a fall of at least  1 in 80, also would require manhole covers at every bend, the septic tank would need to be very deep in the ground.

In a nutshell, we brits have learned that what keeps it in will keep it out, It is all about heat transfer, if you can stop it problem solved

A house designed to keep heat in, will also keep the heat out, much like a thermos flask...  so a bad weather house is ideal for a very hot country

philuk

The coolest non A/C house I have ever been in here had two things this house does not have:

1.  High ceilings with vents in the ceiling for heat to escape the room.

2.  An atrium structure in the center of the house that goes all the way to the roof with vents at the top to give the heat an escape point.  I've spent some time in a house using this design and found it wonderfully cool, even in the heat of the day.

Like boats, house are naught but compromises.  If I were going to build here though, I'd follow the above design and use a lot of insulation and venting.

great coments bill

The cielings upstairs will be vented through the roof space, with an extractor in the roof space,

An atrium is a great idea, and believe me i did think about it,, would work great in a much larger house, but in a house of this size would mean loosing one of the upper rooms,

It is all about balance of sizes, I could have made the house fit the lot, but i would like some outdoor space at the back.

and you are 100% right about the insulation,   This house will be cavity and attic insulated and ventilated roof space,

Oh man if only money was no object

Headshot

Philuk, here are my house plans. These plans are just the simplified floor plans. Everything on the first floor (with the exception of the garage, stairways and larger main bath are existing, We will tear out a bedroom to make room for the inside stairs and larger bath. Everything on the second floor is new construction.

post-6379-0-39397600-1369896959_thumb.jpg 

post-6379-0-19702600-1369896978_thumb.jpg

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3
philuk

Hi hshot email me the file

I would be very interested to see it up close.

Aparently the linjs i have posted dint work fo you guys over there. if someone can find somewhere to put them where you can get them i will gladly upload them.

Would be great if paul could set up some sort of file sharing on the site. perhaps in the hidden.