Sign in to follow this  
kemika3

Deep Sea Fishing out of Cebu

kemika3

I want to go deep sea fishing. Does anyone know a good outfit that provides deep sea fishing trips? How often do they have deep sea fishing trips out of Mactan Island? I didn't have a chance to go my many times before in Cebu. Let me know the days, rates, etc. per person for the deep sea fishing trips. Thanks.

Wolfpack

I want to go deep sea fishing. Does anyone know a good outfit that provides deep sea fishing trips? How often do they have deep sea fishing trips out of Mactan Island? I didn't have a chance to go my many times before in Cebu. Let me know the days, rates, etc. per person for the deep sea fishing trips. Thanks.

I have brought my deep sea fishing gear and hoped on a hopped on a boat with some local fishermen that use nets...

I have not seen chartered fishing boats here like in the USA...

• Like 1

mactanfamily

There is nothing left. Virtually fished out besides some bottom fishing off of the double reef N of Bohol. Fly out to Siargao and fish with Junior or Steve Brown out of Pillar.

You'll catch plenty of plastic bags though. About one per 30 seconds. Even out half way to Leyte.

• Like 1

Knowdafish

There is a local guy, here in Dumaguete, that is a member of a Philippine angling club. I think it is based in Cebu. 

Here is a thread about his exploits, proving there are still fish to be caught in the Philippines.

http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/board/general-chat/dumaguete-angler-8495.html

Of course, his latest exploits are toward the end of the thread. 

You just have to know where to go. He fishes in both salt and freshwater all over the Philippines. You might want to contact him. 

While I agree that the Philippines is highly over fished, there are still decent fish to be caught!

Hmmm......I wonder where all of the fish come from in the grocery stores and the fish markets if they don't come from the Philippines??  :D

• Like 4

mikewright

Hmmm......I wonder where all of the fish come from in the grocery stores and the fish markets if they don't come from the Philippines??

Possibly from some of the more remote, less populated islands? Was surprised at the large number of fish when snorkelling around Linapacan Island.  There is a large boat which takes fish from Linapacan to Manila once a week, so I guess they must be catching plenty to make that trip worthwhile.  It might also explain why I could but a whole cooked fish there for 25 pesos, or whole steamed lapu lapu for 55 pesos.

• Like 2

spritsail

Lots of large large tuna, billfish, barracuda round Caamiguin, especially south Guinsiliban. Theres a guy in Magting with a banca takes anglers and catches big tanigue (spanish Mackeral)

• Like 1

ahoy53

I believe  tanique is wahoo

BossHog

I believe tanique is wahoo

More like a Spanish mackerel.

But the names are very fluid depending on local nomenclature.

RogerDuMond

I believe  tanique is wahoo

I believe that Tanigue is King Mackerel and not Spanish Mackerel, but Wahoo, Spanish Mackerel and Kingfish (King Mackerel) are all closely related and could be mistaken for each other.

Edited by RogerDuMond
  • Like 1

BossHog

My team caught a ten kilo wahoo in the Siargao game fishing tourney this year,

Not sure of the english name but made for good eating on the bbq.

Let me know if y'all wanna fish here. Got a good hook-up.

8.000 per day for the boat. 4-6 guys.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 5

BFHammer

There is nothing left. Virtually fished out besides some bottom fishing off of the double reef N of Bohol. Fly out to Siargao and fish with Junior or Steve Brown out of Pillar.

You'll catch plenty of plastic bags though. About one per 30 seconds. Even out half way to Leyte.

That island looks like a great place to spend a week or two as well.  Do they have a website?  I'm seeing some beach cottages for 17 us a night ran by a brit

http://wikitravel.org/en/Siargao  They should add their info to the wikitravel.  That island sounds great!

Edited by BFHammer

redman69

Wahoo, or King Mackeral is cut into steaks at the best tasteing fish I have ever ate. For me I would eat these any day rather than blue fin tuna or Mahi Mahi or dolpin that we call them. Or even sword fish. Wahoo is the best. Soft white meat. the best.

• Like 1

Half Baked

My team caught a ten kilo wahoo in the Siargao game fishing tourney this year,

Not sure of the english name but made for good eating on the bbq.

Let me know if y'all wanna fish here. Got a good hook-up.

8.000 per day for the boat. 4-6 guys.

Boss, is that for everything ex. captain, deckhand, fishing gear, bait, etc? 

BossHog

Boss, is that for everything ex. captain, deckhand, fishing gear, bait, etc?

Yeah, everything. Except your lunch and beer or whatever for the day.....

It's not my business, but highly recommended.

• Like 1

JamesMusslewhite

Junior Gonzalez is still fishing I believe. There is a policy about giving out phone numbers on this forum but his number is included in this Lonely Planet posting http://www.lonelyplanet.com/philippines/mindanao/siargao/activities/other/deep-sea-fishing  Steve Brown is a close friend and to the best of my knowledge he does not really go out fishing much anymore. 

There is a reason the area is so well known and hold an annual international fishing competition...  marlin, broadbill swordfish, sailfish, dorado, yellow-fin tuna, wahoo, Spanish mackerel, giant and golden trevalle, oilfish, grouper, snapper, coral trout, and at least another dozen varieties..  Just yahoo or google "deep sea fishing Siargao" and you can find charters and services.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 2

Knowdafish

Wahoo, or King Mackeral is cut into steaks at the best tasteing fish I have ever ate. For me I would eat these any day rather than blue fin tuna or Mahi Mahi or dolpin that we call them. Or even sword fish. Wahoo is the best. Soft white meat. the best.

True, but F-R-E-S-H is the key. Frozen just doesn't cut it. 

• Like 1

Joyce yip

I am going to Cebu for fishing.

I have no idea where to go bottom fishing.

And I read the adv.of KI diving center .

It looks attractive to join their fishing trip, but costs 3000php.

Is it too expensive?

Anyone can help ?

I am a girl from Hong Kong .

Many thanks!