Electric Power: 220V vs. 110V

Aaahhh you made a special request to have the neutral going to your house and VECO did

interresting

do you have your own private pole transformer ??   no one else supplied from that transformer ??

I can tell you that this is NOT a normal VECO installation

That can be. We used to have our own transformer ( when the house belomged to my brother in law) - now no more, Veco. However, as I drew to the airport I kept on looking at the poles (not recommended :)). Anyway, i noticed both installation, 3 wires and 2 wires. So they do both Anyway, for Veco it should not be a big job to get you the grounded neutral down. Then you can have a proper installation ( and also your grounding can be cleanly installed). Make sure that you abground pole attached atbthebheutral by the poleb and house. In this case you can also install a good grounding system (I do not have a grounding, just grounded).

Anyway, I try to take picture tomorrow.

According to my brother in law in Manila they have 3 phase as well, so people in Manila might have to check which system they use. Philippines is complex...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woolf

• Cgu

• Paul

• GoHuk

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That sounds like nonsense. A brownout is a brownout. The conversion between 220v and 110v is likely done inside each house.   Also, there should be no significant difference with regards to costs, o

220-240 VAC appliances, conductors and supply lines are far better than 110-120 VAC. For a start the transmission resistance is halved with 220-240 VAC and there is similarly less stress on components

Personally I think if you plan to live here long time it's better to leave the 110V stuff in the U.S.  If you go to 110 you will need a transformer, on a pole, big enough to handle the load/ Eventuall

Posted Images

According to my brother in law in Manila they have 3 phase as well

Veco has 3 phase installations

The land my subdevision was build on was earlier used for a furniture factory

there was a 3 phase installation here, I believe that the transformers has been taken down now

http://www.veco.com.ph/page.html?main=clients&sub1=service%20requests&sub2=start%20service&sub3=industrial

Customers applying for manufacturing or processing plant, air-conditioned theaters and buildings, which requires three-phase electric power with a minimum load of 75kW belong to Industrial category.

Edited by Woolf

More from VECO

http://www.veco.com.ph/page.html?main=clients&sub1=service%20requests&sub2=start%20service&sub3=general%20services

3. Special Loads

Applied loads with any of the following loads require solo transformers:

bullet3.jpg sensitive loads like electronic devices and telecommunication equipment  

bullet3.jpg single unit motor loads bigger than 5hp  

bullet3.jpg welding machines, equipment with high and intermittent amperage requirements and those that can cause severe voltage fluctuation, unbalance and harmonics to the system  

bullet3.jpgloads with voltage ratings other than 230V  

bullet3.jpgcellular tower sites

Edited by Woolf
smokey

smokeys electric 

post-35-0-44731900-1389533580_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul

I took some hastly pictures, try to take more from the weather heas (it is raining...hard).

You see the transformer, center is tapped and grounded. This center tap can be only clamped and is not insulated.

The bad picture you see the 3 cables coming from the meter (through the wall, made by our electrician). Anyway, we combined the neutral going to the house in one tube and splitted it out by the house...will try to take picture from there).

So, if you not sure check your pole , if it is grounded and center tap and if have not 3 wires to your, just clamp it and get it :) - joking, please do not do that, even it is safe. The neutral has never electricity and if it is has, there is some "dirt" (they say that the transformer does not float - neutral - but this outside my expertise).

I took some hastly pictures, try to take more from the weather heas (it is raining...hard).

You see the transformer, center is tapped and grounded. This center tap can be only clamped and is not insulated.

The bad picture you see the 3 cables coming from the meter (through the wall, made by our electrician). Anyway, we combined the neutral going to the house in one tube and splitted it out by the house...will try to take picture from there).

So, if you not sure check your pole , if it is grounded and center tap and if have not 3 wires to your, just clamp it and get it :) - joking, please do not do that, even it is safe. The neutral has never electricity and if it is has, there is some "dirt" (they say that the transformer does not float - neutral - but this outside my expertise).

post-15665-0-66030400-1389581795_thumb.jpg

post-15665-0-08280200-1389582121_thumb.jpg

post-15665-0-78089000-1389582235_thumb.jpg

It seems that the ransformer was requested by my brother in law... By the time we bought the plot, it was paid. The transformer is new, as 2-3 years ago the pole came down with a big bang and they put a new one there. So it could be that they did not used to ground it, but now do - just a guess.

• Like 1
Humboldt

I'm sure its better just to hard wire house 220/110

but on a low tec note , I just purchased   a few voltage converter's at radio shack 85 watts 110 to 220 ... 40 bucks each 

also surge suppressers ,,as I worry about when the power  does come back on  it race's thru the wiring and can blow-out my electronics

If you want to have a neutral/ground then you need to install a grounding rod.

You will not get a neutral, by installing a ground rod, what you get is ground.

If you are thinking of using the ground rod as a return path for 110/120, do NOT do it.

Check this thread:

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/57454-veco-power-110v-test-report/#entry624397

Agreed Woolf, I should not have mentioned neutral and I apologise if I have caused any confusion.  I'm well aware of the difference between a neutral and a ground as my comment about the UK supply indicates.  No a ground return will not give a 110v supply.

Mikala

For safety, never touch the neutral or ground wires as there might be voltages present. If the phases have an imbalance, there might be voltage present on the neutral. If one of your devices has some (electrical) leakage, there could be voltage present on the ground wire. That's per design for your safety.

I once had a customer that had a 400 USD per month electric bill (back in Hawaii) and only was running lighting. We determined that she had faulty wiring and the power was being shunted to ground. Of course we did not refund the money to her as it's always the customer's responsibility to maintain their own wiring.

Also keep in mind that ground rods corrode and eventually will need replacement. A better option is to install 3 ground rods (spaced several feet apart) to ensure you have a solid ground for a few decades.

• 3 weeks later...

Will a 220 volt welder made for us power work on veco and cebeco or neither and if it will how will each be wired?

Here is a picture of my distribution panel

The 2 black wires comes from the meter

and goes to the main breaker seen at the top left

There is NO 3rd wire and NO neutral bar

Why are you using green wire for power ? That goes against all electrical codes everywhere around the world !

Conductors with insulation that is green or green with one or more yellow stripes CANNOT be used for an ungrounded or grounded (neutral) conductor

That would NEVER pass a basic inspection. Who ever did that obviously did not know what they are doing ?  

Why are you "trying" to use a yellow  wire as a ground. I say "trying", because unless the panel box is bonded, ( which it is clearly NOT ), Wrapping the yellow wires around the screw is doing nothing. 

Why did'nt you use pipe connectors and lock nuts ? 

Are you using #8 wire for your main ? What is your main breaker ?