Electric Power: 220V vs. 110V

Here you have a picture of the meter case

meter not installed yet (my neighbors house)

The 2 green wires are from the pole transformer (not yet connected)

The 2 white wires goes to the distribution panel

post-6705-0-64568800-1389471299_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woolf

• Cgu

• Paul

• GoHuk

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That sounds like nonsense. A brownout is a brownout. The conversion between 220v and 110v is likely done inside each house.   Also, there should be no significant difference with regards to costs, o

220-240 VAC appliances, conductors and supply lines are far better than 110-120 VAC. For a start the transmission resistance is halved with 220-240 VAC and there is similarly less stress on components

Personally I think if you plan to live here long time it's better to leave the 110V stuff in the U.S.  If you go to 110 you will need a transformer, on a pole, big enough to handle the load/ Eventuall

Posted Images

Here is a picture of my distribution panel

The 2 black wires comes from the meter

and goes to the main breaker seen at the top left

There is NO 3rd wire and NO neutral bar

post-6705-0-51853300-1389475303_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
SkyMan

No way. I do not want to lecture you, but go outside your house and count the cables that get into yourbhouse to the main panel (I am not talking about the wiring throughout thebhouse, as here in the Philippines they will only wire the 2 to the outlets). Count the cables at the weather heads that goes into your house and I am 99.999% sure you will have 3 wires. If you have only to then you would have 240 single phase. You will see that one cable is insulated ( the hot one at 240) and one which is not insulated, the neutral. This would mean you have not a split phase. You can even touch the neutral - this is common in the province and you cannot have 120/240 only 240.

Best is you measure each sinlge phase on its own., the volt meter will tell you

Well, I'll just call you Mr. 0.001% now. I don't have to bother counting them. I ran them myself. Two ~120V lines out of phase from the VECO pole to my pole, to my meter, to an outdoor breaker, into GI pipe conduit, into the ground, 70 meters to my house to another breaker. Edited by SkyMan

Yes, 0.01 %..

They did not run the neutral to the load :), unusual, but possible. It is still a split phase like US, without neutral running to the house ( the circuit diagram shows it). You might not have 120 available (or at least not in conventional way), but then you might not need it). On the Veco pole rhey need to run the neutral to the ground.

Your main panel shows yellow cables, are these your ground wires to the circuit? There you would then attach the ground to the neutral bar, which then is bonded to the ground ( maybe it is there and hidden).

( maybe it is there and hidden)

I knew it,    no it is there invisible :fool:

grrrrrr  I give up  :banghead:

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

Never give uo :). Anyway, are your yellow cables the grounding you run yourself to a 3 pronged outlet, if so do you run your grounding in a vommon place, which you then provide yourself?

Here you have a picture of the meter case

meter not installed yet (my neighbors house)

The 2 green wires are from the pole transformer (not yet connected)

The 2 white wires goes to the distribution panel

Here is an interesting diagramm fro Meralco I found, it is in Tagalog, but the pictures are quite clear. It seems Veco does it a little bit different, unless you tell them.

http://www.meralco.com.ph/pdf/consumercare/SA_Diagram.pdf

MERALCO (let's hear it for Manila) supply only two cables, nominally 110v each and I guess 180 degrees out of phase although I've never tested this.  There is no neutral!  There is no neutral on the lines running from pole to pole down the street.  If you want to have a neutral/ground then you need to install a grounding rod.

PS I need a rod - anyone know where I may buy one in the PH?

PPS Just seen Cgu's diagram.  I've never seen a MERALCO installation that conforms to that.  As I said above there is no neutral line on the poles.

PPPS Belay that.  Just walked down my street.  There is a kind of neutral arrangement on some connections whereby a third house cable is strapped to the catenary support cable and thereby to the tensioning cable between each pole; a cable that is anchored to eyes on each pole; a cable I always assumed was for structural purposes only.  The arrangement I'm describing is the same as that shown in the final two diagrams of Cgu's link.  I shall contact MERALCO and ask for such an arrangement myself.  I want them to move the meter anyway.

Edited by GoHuk

Here is an interesting diagramm fro Meralco I found, it is in Tagalog, but the pictures are quite clear. It seems Veco does it a little bit different, unless you tell them.

http://www.meralco.com.ph/pdf/consumercare/SA_Diagram.pdf

I know nothing about how it is done in the Meralco area.

I never said anything about the Meralco installations

What I know about is VECO Cebu area instalations

I have lived now in 3 different houses all supplied by VECO

in all cases I opened up the distribution panel

in all 3 cases it has been as I have indicated

• Like 2

Just had a closer look at those MERALCO diagrams and noted that the 'third cable' arrangement is connected to a grounding rod.  So it's not a supplied neutral; in fact the consumer is grounding MERALCO's metalwork!

Here is a good link tongrounding

http://www.creia.org/files/public/grounding_electrode_locked.pdf

Regarding to neutral not going to the house. We have it here installed, as said before I needed it as I run the ceiling fan 110v and I wanted it. So the contractor installed it (with Veco). It can be done and it is cheaper as a transformer, also it gives you the advantage to run 120/240.

I think sometimes, but I am not sure, they do not ground every pole... Might save on wiring. However, I think the Code PEC would require it.

Just had a closer look at those MERALCO diagrams and noted that the 'third cable' arrangement is connected to a grounding rod.  So it's not a supplied neutral; in fact the consumer is grounding MERALCO's metalwork!

No look at the diagram. The center tap of the transformer is the neutral, as it should be.

The neutral is grounded, that is supposed to be.

Cgu, why don't you post some photos of what you are seeing on your installation? That may make it easier for everyone involved. 

Just a thought.

No look at the diagram. The center tap of the transformer is the neutral, as it should be. The neutral is grounded, that is supposed to be.

True.  Just had another look outside.  There is a strap clamped from the tensioning cable on one side of the pole to the other side, thus presumably completing the circuit back to the central tap of the pole transformer.

Just to be picky: in the UK there's a difference between a neutral and a ground.  Just saying!

Edited by GoHuk

Cgu, why don't you post some photos of what you are seeing on your installation? That may make it easier for everyone involved. 

Just a thought.

Yes, I will, but first I have to go the airport:)... Then hopefully without rain I can take some pics outside

Ground and neutral is confusing. The neutral is "grounded", but the "grounding" is a separate wire, like mentioned by gohuk.

• Like 1

Regarding to neutral not going to the house. We have it here installed, as said before I needed it as I run the ceiling fan 110v and I wanted it. So the contractor installed it (with Veco). It can be done and it is cheaper as a transformer, also it gives you the advantage to run 120/240.

Aaahhh you made a special request to have the neutral going to your house and VECO did

interresting

do you have your own private pole transformer ??   no one else supplied from that transformer ??

I can tell you that this is NOT a normal VECO installation

• Like 1