Top 10 Most Stupid Things About Philippines.

SkyMan

10. Traffic officers standing in the middle of a straight highway, not at any intersection, waving cars in the only possible direction they can possibly go anyway. But 200 meters away there's an intersection that is all fecked up and uncontrolled. [if you are a good driver, you would appreciate what they are doing under the circumstance. In fact, most of them do a good job, really...]

Not that I consider this to be in the top 10 of stupidest things in the RP but I completely disagree that these guys even have a remote clue of controlling traffic. 

These arse clowns will invariably:

1.  Wave violently at vehicles to drive through faster when they are 10 feet behind the bumper of the vehicle in front of them.  You want me to drive over the top of them or what?

2.  Continue to wave cars through an intersection when traffic is backed up to that intersection so those cars have nowhere to go but block off the intersection so no one can go.

3.  Leave 3 directions of traffic full of waiting cars idling tons of pollution into the air in order to wave through some vehicle 100m or farther from the intersection.

If approaching an intersection and traffic is jammed up, you will always find that some CITOM is standing in the intersection misdirecting traffic whether or not the light is functioning.

8. Serving of food at restaurants: Main courses served before appetizers, asking to order dessert before you've even been served your main course, only 1 or 2 ice cubes in your beverage, or glass with ice and ice is half melted, dishes come out one at a time and randomly over the course of your stay instead of all at once like the rest of the world. [Try "good" restaurants and you will be OK ;)]

The majority of the population can't afford the best restos all the time.  When I go to any resto, I order a drink and send them off to fetch it right away.  When they come back I order an appetizer and send them off for it with instructions to bring that right away and no waiting for main courses.  That only works to get the courses in the right order though.  My appetizer will almost certainly arrive after the other's main courses and then I order my main course.  It makes for a very long dinner.
  • Like 1
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• SkyMan

• tokyoman

• A_Simple_Man

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So it makes it ok to make generalizing, racist comments if you have the same heritage?  I think that is a stupid thing to do.  Perhaps one of the 10 most stupid things in the Philippines.

It's really only a pain at times because our own background, in our own Countries is just different. Get over it. We are not in our own Countries anymore.   I have lived in the region for over 10

Judging by her answers, I think your wife has been gone too long or never knew in the 1st place. NOW I know why you're always asking questions here.

Posted Images

mikewright

It's really only a pain at times because our own background, in our own Countries is just different. Get over it. We are not in our own Countries anymore.

How true. I think it has a lot to do with the individual’s own personality and how he or she handles change. People who keep comparing things with “back home” will find a lot of differences, some better, some worse, and it’s their attitude to these differences which will decide how they fare in a new country.

Some people I’ve met love living in the Philippines. They face the same problems as the others, brown-outs, bad traffic, entrées served after mains, etc, but these things don’t seem to worry them.  Not that they think it is all a paradise, but they have adapted to the way of life, and love living here, the friendly people, the beautiful unspoilt islands, the relaxed life style, the family-oriented culture and the ability to live a type of life they could never afford to live back home.

Others I’ve met seem to hate the place.  To listen to them, it’s all poverty, crime, dirty politics, pollution, scheming in-laws, incompetence, laziness, bad traffic, entrées served after mains and sometimes even warm beer.

Same country, same situations, the difference being how they were able to accept and adapt to change.

• Like 2
spydoo

What a great country, where the most stupid things about it are so trivial. I'm greatly looking forward to my immigration.

• Like 3
Paul

I would imagine this Filipino born American is just another person who would not be happy anywhere he went. He just wishes to have something to complain about.

ed villas

you guys should be proud .. a list of the ten most stupid things in the Philippines and not one forum member is mentioned on the list

I have menitoned certain members but my post was deleted,

• Like 1
tokyoman

My comments in [ ] :D

1.     SM Mall security checks. The pseudo-frisk at the waist line and dip of their stick in your bag.

[basically they are checking for a concealed weapon so it serves the purpose.]

2.     PLDT, enough said.

[No complaint, in fact I am a satisfied customer.]

3.     Water pressure

[No complaint, I guess it depends on where you live...]

4.     Power lines and posts

[No complaint re power, never used posts.]

5.     Customer service of any kind

[No complaint, try calling Microsoft in the US... I had good customer supports from SONY Philippines, Fujitsu Philippines (tablet repair), etc.]

6.     Honoring warranties (or rather, NOT)

[This is not my experience. Eletrolux, Nokia, Carrier, some computer parts, furniture repair all promptly taken care of under warranty...]

7.     Filipino drivers, enough said again.

[hehe ;) ]

8.     Serving of food at restaurants: Main courses served before appetizers, asking to order dessert before you've even been served your main course, only 1 or 2 ice cubes in your beverage, or glass with ice and ice is half melted, dishes come out one at a time and randomly over the course of your stay instead of all at once like the rest of the world.

[Try "good" restaurants and you will be OK ;)]

9.     Getting your Filipino employee to actually do the job he was hired to do.

[Not my experience, I hired many workers in the US in the past, their Filipino counterparts are just as knowledgeable and hard workers. I guess it all depends on your screening/managerial ability...]

10.   Traffic officers standing in the middle of a straight highway, not at any intersection, waving cars in the only possible direction they can possibly go anyway. But 200 meters away there's an intersection that is all fecked up and uncontrolled.

[if you are a good driver, you would appreciate what they are doing under the circumstance. In fact, most of them do a good job, really...]

:thumbsup: 

My comments in [ ] 

1.     SM Mall security checks. The pseudo-frisk at the waist line and dip of their stick in your bag.

[At least they are friendly and greet you!]

2.     PLDT, enough said.

[i use Globe 4G and never get cut off - satisfied.]

3.     Water pressure

[i live in a newish condo - no problem.]

4.     Power lines and posts

[i just excercise in my condo gym so no need to worry about running into one.]

5.     Customer service of any kind

[i have 2 or 3 cute girls waiting on me at the local Chinese restaurant - hardly any customers - fanstastic!]

6.     Honoring warranties (or rather, NOT)

[buy all my electronic stuff overseas ..]

7.     Filipino drivers, enough said again.

[but they are dam cheap - pay 7 times more in Oz for a taxi

8.     Serving of food at restaurants: Main courses served before appetizers, asking to order dessert before you've even been served your main course, only 1 or 2 ice cubes in your beverage, or glass with ice and ice is half melted, dishes come out one at a time and randomly over the course of your stay instead of all at once like the rest of the world.

[Explain to them when you order how you want it - no worries)]

9.     Getting your Filipino employee to actually do the job he was hired to do.

[i came here to relax not to run a company...]

10.   Traffic officers standing in the middle of a straight highway, not at any intersection, waving cars in the only possible direction they can possibly go anyway. But 200 meters away there's an intersection that is all fecked up and uncontrolled.

[Take taxis...]

After being here a few months you know what to avoid and what to make use of........

• Like 4
skippy

I have been involved with the Philippines for over 34 years and have seen so many changes,some good,some not so good,i have decided that its the place for me,and i will be coming there permanently to spend the rest of my life in what i consider one of the best places to live in the world. Of course,i have an optimistic view of life,and so,can ignore the shortcomings that exist.It basically comes down to your own attitude on how you look at life,for me,the general goodwill and basic simple decency i have experienced makes up for any minor problems that may or may not exist day to day. Simply put, how you feel ANYWHERE is more to do with your attitude than what is happening around you.

• Like 6
Alan S

No 9 is the big problem. Whilst many have found that SOME Filipinos are hard working, many are not.

The fact that it is often said (that they are lazy and inefficient) is enough to discourage some companies from setting up in the Philippines and the country sorely needs foreign employers, to relieve some of the chronic poverty.

(Foreign companies often / usually pay more than local ones.) 

No 9 is the big problem. Whilst many have found that SOME Filipinos are hard working, many are not.

The fact that it is often said (that they are lazy and inefficient) is enough to discourage some companies from setting up in the Philippines and the country sorely needs foreign employers, to relieve some of the chronic poverty.

(Foreign companies often / usually pay more than local ones.) 

I have been in the Philippines working for a big multinational company.... I have only good memories how hard working the guys were... some are now out in middle east making more for their loved ones...

tomaw

I went over this list with my Filipina wife so she filled in on stuff I hadn't experienced or wouldn't know about. My experience was three visits over 3 years. (1) SM Security. We never had a problem with them but glad they are there. (2) PLDT- My wife had to tell me what this is. Acording to her this is the best but most expensive land-line. They (her family) has no problems with it. (3)Water pressure- None of my trips or my wife's family had any problems with it. (4) Power lines and posts. What about them? (5) Customer service- Better than in the US, although my wife say it's a hassle. (6) Warranties also a hassle according to my wife easpecially with making returns. (7) Drivers-I agree! (8) Service at restaurant- Superior to US including fast food. (9) Employees- Can't say. Neither of us had any. (10) Traffic officers - I had no problem with them. (11) Jeepneys - No worse than buses in Los Angeles and Orange County. Taxies more comfortable and less hassel than either one but costs WAY less in Cebu.

Edited by tomaw
Knowdafish

I went over this list with my Filipina wife so she filled in on stuff I hadn't experienced or wouldn't know about. My experience was three visits over 3 years. (1) SM Security. We never had a problem with them but glad they are there. (2) PLDT- My wife had to tell me what this is. Acording to her this is the best but most expensive land-line. They (her family) has no problems with it. (3)Water pressure- None of my trips or my wife's family had any problems with it. (4) Power lines and posts. What about them? (5) Customer service- Better than in the US, although my wife say it's a hassle. (6) Warranties also a hassle according to my wife easpecially with making returns. (7) Drivers-I agree! (8) Service at restaurant- Superior to US including fast food. (9) Employees- Can't say. Neither of us had any. (10) Traffic officers - I had no problem with them. (11) Jeepneys - No worse than buses in Los Angeles and Orange County. Taxies more comfortable and less hassel than either one but costs WAY less in Cebu.

I am originally from S. Cal and respectfully disagree with your opinion regarding #8 and 11.

I've had MUCH better service at restaurants, and in general, in California compared to the Philippines. 

Bus drivers in the U.S. for the most part drive like they are sane and not drunk, not so of want-to-be race car drivers/bus drivers here. Jeepney drivers are another story. How often does a bus stop in the middle of the road, at night, for no reason, with no headlights in the U.S.? It doesn't happen! Here it is common among Jeepney drivers! 

Regarding #4. I don't think there is but 5% of the power poles that are vertical in Dumaguete. The rest are leaning, termite ridden, rotting, landmines ready to fall over! If that wasn't enough the spaghetti factory tied to each pole is ridiculous! You have never noticed anything like the pic below?

power.JPG

Your results may vary.  :P

• Like 1
Sven

The fact that it is often said (that they are lazy and inefficient) is enough to discourage some companies from setting up in the Philippines and the country sorely needs foreign employers, to relieve some of the chronic poverty. (Foreign companies often / usually pay more than local ones.)

Well how then about the simple fact that foreign companies are not even allowed to set up shop, in most cases..! As there is a requirement that most types of business be locally owned and controlled. This item may not be on the list of obvious stupidities, but I believe it is holding the country back, big time.
  • Like 1
tokyoman

I am originally from S. Cal and respectfully disagree with your opinion regarding #8 and 11.   I've had MUCH better service at restaurants, and in general, in California compared to the Philippines. 

For example, In Makati I paid $20 for a seafood buffet with 4 waitresses looking over me. The quality for excellent!

In Australia I would pay 40 to 50 dollars for the same buffet and would have to scream out loud to get my plates changed

• Like 1
thebob

Driving isn't so bad, wait until this catches on here.

smokey

For example, In Makati I paid $20 for a seafood buffet with 4 waitresses looking over me. The quality for excellent!

In Australia I would pay 40 to 50 dollars for the same buffet and would have to scream out loud to get my plates changed

but your not in Australia ?  and 20 bucks us or 20 australia ? i get the same thing for 10 us here so if you are looking to save money fly to Arizona for dinner