Sign in to follow this  
Headshot

Auto Body and Paint

Gus

Go to Millennium Car Shop in Happy Valley corner V.Rama.

is this the same guy you recommended earlier Chris Lebumfacil ?

Alfred E. Neuman

is this the same guy you recommended earlier Chris Lebumfacil ?

No, I haven't been to his shop for the past two years.

I presume this is Millenium Car Service at 1st Happy Valley V. Rama Avenue, Cebu City, 6000 Cebu, Philippines +63 32 255 1801 .

Have not be able to get through to them by phone yet.  But according to the sign outside their place they do full detailing,, engine tuneup, engine oil change, brakes, suspension, car air con, batteries and accessories..  But no mention of body work or painting.  Do you have experience getting body work or painting done at this location?

[[[EDIT: Spoke to Millennium (as above)..  they do NOT offer body work or painting.]]]

Their sister company located beside Lone Star Bar does body work.

to_dave007

Their sister company located beside Lone Star Bar does body work.

That'll be Cebu Ultra Automedics Inc.

Queen's Rd, Cebu City, 6000 Cebu

Beside lone star.  Behind the big Iglesia ni Cristo church just 100 meters or so north of Gen Maxilon.

I'll get a quote first at Tri-J tomorrow, then I'll head to this place.
That'll be three quotes/estimates, one being out here in province.  Then I gotta decide.

Anyone have any experience with Cebu Ultra Automedics Inc..  I have pretty good experience with tri-j, but none with these guys.
Edited by to_dave007

Alfred E. Neuman

Tri-J gave me a lousy battery that bloated in less than three months, they wouldn't refund nor replace.

Automedic did some electrical work for my difficult car, satisfied. I noticed they have an oven for their paintjob so expect better than most here in Cebu.

to_dave007

Automedic did some electrical work for my difficult car, satisfied. I noticed they have an oven for their paintjob so expect better than most here in Cebu.

Having any kind of dedicated paint booth (or oven) to keep the dust outta the paint would be a big plus.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

billy

I like Tri J and have used them for years...

I used Tri J near SM but they arent there any more. They were very good. Where are they now?

Woolf

I noticed they have an oven for their paintjob so expect better than most here in Cebu.

So do Tri-J

to_dave007

On Thursday I paid a visit to:

1) Tri-J - 380 N. Bacalso Ave., Guadalquiver Bldg., Cebu South Road, Basak San Nicolas,(032) 418-3888).  This is the main branch of Tri-J.

2) Cebu Ultra Automedics Inc. , Queen's Rd, Cebu City, 6000 Cebu, (032) 254 2312

I've been to two other Tri-J locations in the past.  One was so small that they only did tire's at that location.  The one in Banilad was large enough to have about 6 repair bays with hoists and several more without.  I notice that the Banilad location has just been repainted with Dunlop logo and colors, and it "looks" like it's going to be dedicated to tires as well.  But the main Tri-J branch is huge by comparison.  And VERY busy.  It's the only Tri-J location that does body work, and the manager of Body Work and Painting is Lester.  Lester is a very likeable young man in his late 30's and he's been at Tri-J for 10 years.  Lester examined my Tamaraw for about 5 minutes, and his assessment was simple.  "It's too big a job, Tri-J will not take the job".  He went on to tell me that TriJ would have taken such jobs up until about 5 years so, but now their body and paint business is more focused to accident repair, and on later model vehicles.  I asked him if he could estimate the size of the job from his experience and he replied emphatically that the job was a MINIMUM of 70,000 peso, and he estimated in the range 70,000 to 100,000 peso.  I told him about the 70,000 estimate I had out in the province and he basically said "If you trust the guy, then TAKE it. It's a good price".  Despite the fact that Tri-J refused the job, through Lester they helped me quite a bit.

I'm left with the impression of Tri-J as a VERY busy and dynamic and well managed business.   Busy and well managed enough to know what jobs they DON'T want.

The picture at Cebu Ultra Automedics could not have been any more different.

When I arrived I pulled into a parking space just as a white SUV pulled in beside me.  And an "older" Pinoy (seemed on the high side of 75, and quite frail, and slow) was helped out of the car and entered the office as I did.  I thought he was a customer but he took a seat in the office, and judging from how others interacted with him I would say he was "the boss"..  and likely the owner. The office was noticeably QUIET.  It's an auto shop..  I expect to hear phone's ringing and people on the phone looking for parts..  I expect to hear "busy"..  and I didn't.  I was directed to move my car back to the shop..  with about 6 bays.  After coming from Tri-J the first thing I noticed was the silence. No den of activity.  In fact the only workers I saw were sitting on their ass doing nothing.  I counted that there were precisely ZERO cars actually being worked on.  I assumed that it must be break time until I heard the bell being rang, and the workers who had been sitting got up and walked to the lunch room.  So a guy brings a form, which looks like it's been in use since the last century, and starts inspecting my Tamaraw, around and around, and writing on the form, and checking tick marks.  And then he leaves and another man comes with the form and checks it, around and around, again.  And then he asks me to follow him into the office where he hands the form to one of the 4 idle ladies there, and she pulls out her calculator and starts calculating.  As I wait, I see that there is just one car a Honda Civic in the big chalk board, and I remember the Honda Civic idling beside where I parked outside..  looking like it was maybe being tested.  And when she finished calculating she tells me that their estimate is 60,305 peso.  About 14,000 for body work (11 days at 900/day plus materials) and 46,000 for painting (25 days at 900/day plus materials).  She wouldn't give me their estimate sheet or a copy of it, so she typed me up a estimate, printed in on a dot matrix printer, and then carefully 2 hole punched the original estimate and put in in the binder, in a well rehearsed procedure.    I was SURPRISED that the estimate was so low..  so I asked a few questions..  likely "Will you need to take the seats out" (no) and "will you need to remove the covering inside the roof" (no), and I was really left with the feeling that I would EITHER get a really substandard job, OR a much higher price.  Nothing so far had inspired any feelings of "trust" with these guys.  And to top it off my wife told me that she was treated to the sounds of a yelling Pinoy customer outside (the Civic owner) as he berated the mechanic for what he perceived as poor service.

The contrast between Tri-J and Cebu Ultra Automedic could not be any more dramatic.

I would NEVER go back to Cebu Ultra Automedic.  And I thank Tri-J even though they refused the job.

Oh..  and both had paint booth.  The one at Tri-J was in use. The one at Cebu Ultra had a car parked in it, and padlocked doors.

So what will I do..  Wife and I still talking about that, but I'm leaning towards NOT doing the body work at all, and starting the search for a new vehicle. I'm concerned that the Tamaraw is going to become increasingly unmaintainable, and that I'll be increasingly relying on unreliable provincial mechanics.  I have a great mechanic out here now, but he just returned from 16 months in Saudi, and makes it clear that he is actively seeking his next OFW job.  And when he leaves I'm stuck.  Have NOT been able to find another good and trustworthy mechanic out here.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 5

arentol

Hi guys,

My wife accidentally banged up the side of our small car, a Toyota Yaris. Nothing too serious, but needs some body work and paint.

Can anyone recommend a reliable body shop that could handle it? Preferably on the north side of Cebu City (e.g., Lahug, Apas, Mabolo, Mandaue, etc.).

Here's a pic:

bang1.jpg

Thanks,

Aren

Woolf

You can try TRI-J

here are the branches

http://www.tri-jmarketing.com/branches.html

Maybe  only main branch does body work

Alfred E. Neuman

Autofocus Banawa

Automedic near Iglesia Ni Kristo mango ave

Automatic infront of Toyota M.Cuenco ave

Any shop with oven

Headshot

Arentol, I merged your topic into the Auto Body and Paint topic that already exists in the Where-to-find Services forum. You should find plenty of recommendations if you read back through it.

to_dave007

Autofocus Banawa

Automedic near Iglesia Ni Kristo mango ave

Automatic infront of Toyota M.Cuenco ave

Any shop with oven

I gave my impression of automedic above.  I wouldn't go there.  Can't comment on the other ones.

Since my review (see above) of Tri-J main location in Mambaling I've been back with an actual job for them (rust repair on Crosswind).  Was very happy with the job they did.  But they are on south side.

arentol

Arentol, I merged your topic into the Auto Body and Paint topic that already exists in the Where-to-find Services forum. You should find plenty of recommendations if you read back through it.

Thanks Headshot, didn't notice that there was already a post on the subject!

Aren

Alfred E. Neuman

I gave my impression of automedic above.  I wouldn't go there.  Can't comment on the other ones.

Since my review (see above) of Tri-J main location in Mambaling I've been back with an actual job for them (rust repair on Crosswind).  Was very happy with the job they did.  But they are on south side.

Paint job recommendation, mechanical will be another shop recommendation.