Sign in to follow this  
Headshot

General Auto and Engine Mechanic (gas, diesel, LPG)

Headshot

Since Skyman started a topic on house painters, it reminded me that I wanted to start topics on many subjects for services that that are often passed on word-of-mouth. In other words, if you don't have contacts, you don't find the person or company that provides the service. I will start these threads on as many types of services as I can. Note: I consider any specialty as a service, so you will see painters, plumbers, carpenters, masons, electricians, lawyers, medical specialties, dental specialties, diesel mechanics, gasoline engine mechanics, LPG engine mechanics and conversion, brake repair, auto body and paint, auto electric systems, etc. Also, if you think of other specialties that I miss, let me know, and I will add a topic. I will pin all of these topics, so they stick around over time.

So...if you know of a GENERAL AUTO AND ENGINE MECHANIC OR SHOP that you would recommend, please put his name (or the name of his company), whatever contact information you have, where he is located (town or city), and why you would recommend him. Also, if you know details or his work (like makes and models he works on, and makes of parts used...original or copies, what he has done for you, and how long it has lasted), I'm sure that would be helpful to a lot of other members. If anybody has used the car dealers here for mechanical work, I'm sure you know they are substantially higher than the small shops and independent mechanics.

Edited by Headshot

ILoveCyrus

I just did an oil change myself.....cost me 1300php. Shop would have cost 3500p.

Need some other work done: replace float in gas tank to indicate full or empty. Plz advise.

smokey

Tri- J always did a good job for me 

Mang Kanor

what car?

ILoveCyrus

Mazda Demo surplus

Canuck Joe

not far from you

Raf Raf auto repair in Gabi Cordova, clean pro shop and tools, retired ship engineer abroad, very good english.(if he is around the shop)

Edited by Canuck Joe
  • Like 1

ILoveCyrus

Thanks guys

Thnx guys... I'm in Pajac LLcity

JamesMusslewhite

There is an expat here who is a decent mechanic who lives here about half the year and in the Seattle area the rest. I believe he will be back in a couple of weeks and he works on most of the expats vehicles here. If you have major work needed than he would be well worth the price of a ferry ticket and putting up for the short time he would need to work on your vehicles. He knows his stuff you can communicate with him and he will not ride the clock or screw you.. If any members are interested I can get you his email, facebook, or cell number.

samatm

Thanks guys

Thnx guys... I'm in Pajac LLcity

in Basak just past the Gaisano Grand  there is a really good mechanic named Toting at the ELZ  Gaz station .. across petron.     Very Good English has worked abroad and here for MNC  and experienced.    Has shop and most tools.      Also at the same place  good auto body  guy named RAY.  fair prices .    

Also near you .. I understand the mechanics that work on GT express are very good.   Never used them  and  don't have a name , but you might go inquire where you see the GT's getting worked on. 

Edited by samatm
  • Like 1

ILoveCyrus

Thanks guys.....I'll  be needing more connections as time goes by.

ILoveCyrus

in Basak just past the Gaisano Grand  there is a really good mechanic named Toting at the ELZ  Gaz station .. across petron.     Very Good English has worked abroad and here for MNC  and experienced.    Has shop and most tools.      Also at the same place  good auto body  guy named RAY.  fair prices .    

Also near you .. I understand the mechanics that work on GT express are very good.   Never used them  and  don't have a name , but you might go inquire where you see the GT's getting worked on. 

I met that guy.  His is is Totong (I guess you spelled it wrong).......nice guy and a straight shooter.

I appreciate the contact info.

samatm

I met that guy.  His is is Totong (I guess you spelled it wrong).......nice guy and a straight shooter.

I appreciate the contact info.

Had you met him before I posted ?  Did you have any work done by him?    Once he worked for about 2 hours rebuilding my alternator and and other tuneups.  He came back and   showed me the problems and told me  it was beyond his capacity to repair and referred me to someone else who could fix it..and called the guy to introduce me.   He wouldn't accept any cash for the non fix.   I tipped him and told him to enjoy Miller Red Horse time  on me .. and he was very appreciative. 

ILoveCyrus

i met him due to your post.....

to_dave007

Based on advice here, I took my old Tamaraw to Tri-J Marketing (Banilad) last week.  Great location for me because I always stay at the Ford Inn on AS Fortuna just a short walk away.

Primary job I needed done was to determine cause of excessive (and I mean SEVERE) front tire wear, which I expected to be ball joints (I know I replaced one ball joint year + ago, but can't remember of I replaced just 1 or all of them).  Once up on the hoist they checked all ball joints (they were ok) and found one loose/badly worn wheel bearing (so I had them replace both inner and outer bearings on both sides), and badly worn tie rod ends (so replaced on both sides).  Also replaced stabilizer link bushing both sides.  I also bought 2 new Goodyear tires and rotated one of the worn ones to my spare rim. 

Secondary job was to repair windshield wiper, which were not working.

Took the car in late on Wednesday 28th and told them that I MUST take it back on Saturday 31st.

My initial impression of the place was VERY positive.  The place had about 6 repair bays, and several of them had hoists (already a major improvement on repair shops in the province).  They also had laser wheel alignment equipment and what appears to be a well equipped shop. The place was very busy, much like a good shop would be back home.  The two primary staff behind the counter were very good, and over the next couple of days I would come to see them as exceptional..  every bit as good as I would find in a good shop back home.

They would not give me a price until they had it up on the hoist for an inspection.  Following that they gave me a detailed estimate by Thursday morning and I gave them the go ahead.

The final price was 21,670 peso (parts 17,920 (including 2 x 4400 for the Goodyear tires), labour 3,750), which was actually about 1500 peso below their estimated cost.  Given what I had done, I thought this was pretty reasonable.  Labour seems low, but I'm guessing that they add 10% to 15% on all parts as well, as the tires were 4,000 last time I bought them.

Vehicle was ready Friday before closing.  As requested.

Notice that the ride is quieter than it was..  Less metal on metal noises.  which is good.  There is one remaining noise which sounds like a shock absorber bottoming out (passenger front), except I know the shocks were replaced not that long ago.  Buddy suggests one of the shock absorber mounting bushings.  I'll have it checked next time in.

Windshield wiper works fine.  They replaced blades too and the washer nozzle (saves me splashing water on the window manually).

All in all I feel pretty good about the repair.  The Tamaraw is old, but like many Toyota, it runs like a charm, and I'm planning further renovations to it.   Wife and her family love it, as they find it a real treat to ride now.. instead of walking..  No-one minds the age of the old girl.

As for me.. somehow the beat up old Tamaraw fits my new life in rural Cebu better than a newer vehicle. 

Thumbs up to Tri-J Marketing.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2