motorboy

I am sure this question has been asked and answered, but in my current mental condition I can not find it (however, I did find a new bottle of vodka under the sink). How often will I have to do a visa run? And when returning from my visa run will I need a departing ticket? Thanks Jim

Dolsos

If you have simply a tourist visa you will need a return ticket always.  If a BB stamp you do not.

You can get  visa extensions up to 16 months, then you will have to fly out to restart your timer

Davaoeno

I am sure this question has been asked and answered, but in my current mental condition I can not find it (however, I did find a new bottle of vodka under the sink). How often will I have to do a visa run? And when returning from my visa run will I need a departing ticket? Thanks Jim

yes- you will need a return ticket

btw- as regards the bottle of vodka- are you sure it wasnt above the fridge ??http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/59617-how-to-cope-with-a-slutty-wife/#entry653377

• Like 2
johnboy999

I did a visa run on April 29th/30th to Hong Kong as my 16 months was coming to an end. As I'm on a tourist visa I was asked on check-in at Hong Kong when returning to Cebu for an outbound flight from Cebu. So in effect, I needed 3 flights, 1 to Hong Kong, 1 back to Cebu and then a throwaway 2 months later which was perfectly acceptable to the check-in staff. Immigration never asked for this, just the airlines, and without the onward flight they won't allow you to check-in. That is for a tourist, of course it would be different for someone on a BB.

A_Simple_Man

As has been mentioned, 16 months is the norm before doing a visa run.  Some have stayed up to 2 years before doing it but that would be require permission from Manila (which they usually give but it requires a sob story and is a pain in the arse).  I like to go just before 12 months as I hate paying the travel tax (about 1650 if I remember right) that they hit you up with if you have stayed as a tourist more than 12 months.

johnboy999

Don't forget on top of that you will need to pay 550php terminal fee for international departure

Woolf

Information about EEC:

http://www.livinginc...-visa/?p=500348

if you are here as a tourist, the ECC has to be done at immigration

ECC is needed if your stay has been more than 6 months

Information about other fees leaving Philippines:

http://www.livinginc...-visa/?p=500345

Edited by Woolf
johnboy999

Information about EEC:

http://www.livinginc...-visa/?p=500348

if on a tourist visa, the ECC has to be done at immigration

ECC is needed if your stay has been more than 6 months

Information about other fees leaving Philippines:

http://www.livinginc...-visa/?p=500345

That was a useful post, but there was one small error I noticed. I've not got a 9a in my passport, I just arrived on a standard 21 day entry and extended after that, yet I only paid the 500php express lane fee.  You stated "If you don't have this Visa (9a) or if you have a Visa that grants residency (9(g), 13(a) etc), you'll pay considerably more (around PHP2900 + the PHP500 "Express Lane" fee). Also, in my case, and another recent one where someone got their ECC in Mandaue, the process took about 2 hours, not 40 minutes, so be prepared to wait around plenty. I believe the ECC for tourists can only be obtained from Manila, Mandaue and Davao offices.

Woolf

Corrected the text

The time spend at immigration,

depends on how busy they are, when you are there,

same as when you do extensions.

USMC-Retired

I was there 2 hours and it also depends on what you are doing there. I need signatures from the alien control officer and finger prints for ECC. Normal visa times can not be that long yet it depends on number of people being serviced.

johnboy999

Exactly my point Tim. While I was there, plenty of people came and went for visa extensions while I was still waiting for my ECC. It's definitely a slower process than for a visa extension, I guess because they need to do more checks maybe? They need to ensure you don't have any outstanding warrants or court cases that you need to attend before they will give you that official clearance to leave the country.

I have a work Visa, my wife is Filipino, so we are covered. However our 2 kids come in on BB stamp.

Crazy thing is, we have to buy them an onward ticket even though they will be stamped in upon arrival. As they can't fly without an adult, we have to buy three onwards tickets.

Airlines just don't seem to underdstand or want to understand the BB stamp.

USMC-Retired

I am not going to say it works 100% of the time and mileage varies. When I left for Singapore I had a copy of the memorandum and BB order in hand. Then when Cebu Pacific argued with me I was handing over an order issued by the PH goverment. Then if they still refuse, request a supervisor to look this up "IATA timatic database" requirements for Filipinos traveling with spouse arriving at port of entry in the Philippines. The database is clear you as a spouse or child of a Filipino do not need an onward ticket. One thing here I learned, is always have proof in hand and never under estimate the power of greed. Make them do their jobs and refer to the manual that guides this. You do not need a onward ticket as a spouse or child traveling with a Filipino passport holder.

Edited by USMC-Retired
johnboy999

But if you are a tourist and not able to use a BB the onward ticket requirement will be enforced by the airlines.

I guess it would have been more helpful if motorboy had told us what type of visa run he was doing in the OP, either a tourist one, or a balikbayan one as the information he requires varies a bit depending on which he is seeking. IE a tourist visa is 16 months between runs but a balikbayan is 12 months, a tourist will require an onward ticket but a balikbayan shouldn't need it, etc etc