Sign in to follow this  
tomaw

Solar Panels for Home Generation

Paul

... and the panels have been up just over 18 months and never cleaned.

What angle are your panels at, Chas? Under 40 degrees?

Paul

I think if you check it out most of the power co.ops in Phils dont have meters that "go backwards". All the ones I have seen in many places that have one red LED in the middle of the face. DONT.. This means if you use a grid tie inverter all the power you generate will be charged at the going rate to you.. Great deal huh??

Its impossible in Phils to save money going solar. The main reason there are no incentives to do so from the government.. And there never will be until the politicians find a way of corruptly getting some of the money..

The cost of components in Phils is higher than most other countries and any guarantees are very questionable..Meaning USELESS.

Hi John, and thanks for joining the site. 

I can't speak for others, obviously. But, at my age (46), I would not concern myself with any incentives or "returns" on a solar array, or concerning any other alternative power project in Asia. Not to mention, anywhere in Asia, I don't know that I would WANT to be part of the grid, considering the power they provide anyway. 

My primary reason for going with alternative power is to have stable, reliable power provided to my home. (You really tire of sitting in the dark - after a while.)

• Like 1

Chas

What angle are your panels at, Chas? Under 40 degrees?

According to the installation quote the panels are tilted at about 30 degrees.

• Like 1

Knowdafish

I think if you check it out most of the power co.ops in Phils dont have meters that "go backwards". All the ones I have seen in many places that have one red LED in the middle of the face. DONT.. This means if you use a grid tie inverter all the power you generate will be charged at the going rate to you.. Great deal huh??

Its impossible in Phils to save money going solar. The main reason there are no incentives to do so from the government.. And there never will be until the politicians find a way of corruptly getting some of the money..

The cost of components in Phils is higher than most other countries and any guarantees are very questionable..Meaning USELESS.

"This means if you use a grid tie inverter all the power you generate will be charged at the going rate to you.. Great deal huh??"

That is only true if one is not smart enough to install (or have it installed) past the meter, and not before. Why would anyone do that??

Its impossible in Phils to save money going solar.

That is absolutely not true. Incentives only decrease the payback period. They don't negate it!  The cost of components IS higher in the Philippines, but they can easily be imported at a lower cost, and with better quality if it is done correctly. 

Chas

"This means if you use a grid tie inverter all the power you generate will be charged at the going rate to you.. Great deal huh??"

That is only true if one is not smart enough to install (or have it installed) past the meter, and not before. Why would anyone do that??

Its impossible in Phils to save money going solar.

That is absolutely not true. Incentives only decrease the payback period. They don't negate it!  The cost of components IS higher in the Philippines, but they can easily be imported at a lower cost, and with better quality if it is done correctly. 

To give an example (though not in the Phil's)

I use gas for heating, hot water and cooking. Everything else is electric, with I suspect the biggest users being the washing machine and tumble dryer.

In 2012 I used 1497kWh (26%) less than in 2011. Not that accurate as it would be better comparing across the average of a number of years. Given that the cost of power will only go up I am happy to take a 25% saving (plus the crazy Government subsidy)

Jim in Cebu

Anyone have experience on working with solar panels and running only 12 Volt appliances? Most energy is lost converting it and I know you could run a shit load of appliances just on 12V so you can have a very cheap system without power loss and just run LED-Lights, waterpumps and other small household appliances straight from your own power production.

Recently I stumbled across an article about using low wattage/low capacity 12v water pumps directly connected to PV panels:  http://www.affordable-solar.com/Learning-Center/Water-Pumping/water-pumping-basics

It's an interesting concept.

One of the things I've thought about is setting up a water catchment system -- essentially routing rain water from the gutters to a holding tank/cistern to water plants around the house, wash the car, do laundry, flush the toilet and other non-potable water uses.

A direct-connect solar power water pump might work well in this application.   

Perhaps some day I'll explore this further, but right now I have a lot of other projects on my to-do list.

Paul

Recently I stumbled across an article about using low wattage/low capacity 12v water pumps directly connected to PV panels:  http://www.affordable-solar.com/Learning-Center/Water-Pumping/water-pumping-basics

It's an interesting concept.

One of the things I've thought about is setting up a water catchment system -- essentially routing rain water from the gutters to a holding tank/cistern to water plants around the house, wash the car, do laundry, flush the toilet and other non-potable water uses.

A direct-connect solar power water pump might work well in this application.   

Perhaps some day I'll explore this further, but right now I have a lot of other projects on my to-do list.

I have a fair amount of information on this very topic. Part of it is rain gutter growing systems, along with harvesting rain water for use around your home. I also have information on connecting pumps directly to solar panels, with no batteries or controllers, to run a water pump during day light hours. 

As a side note, a company in Phnom Penh informed me, early this year, that they set up a solar array specifically to pump water in this very configuration. They said it pumps between 20 m3 and 25 m3 per day! I have been wanting to go see this pump, but have not had a chance to do so, yet.

• Like 1

towboat72

I have been thinking about solar panels for a long time,but have no knowledge of how to do this.im finding this topic very interesting,so I will just lurk on the side and listen and hopefully learn.

Paul

I have been thinking about solar panels for a long time,but have no knowledge of how to do this.im finding this topic very interesting,so I will just lurk on the side and listen and hopefully learn.

I have quite a bit of Alternative Energy information, especially regarding solar arrays and home systems, that I share with others via Copy, Dropbox, or Google Drive, if you are interested in sharing these files, let me know and I will send you my particulars.

FYI: Copy currently offers the most storage for free, at 15 Gigabytes. If you sign up (soon) through the free Copy referral link here, your Copy account (and mine) will be awarded an additional 5 Gigabytes of storage.

• Like 1