Sign in to follow this  
Headshot

Dentist / Oral Surgeon / Dentures

enoonmai

It sounds like you had the same young dentist at Dentaland that I had last time. She cleaned my teeth and never asked if I was having any problems even though it had been almost a year since my last visit. When I asked her about it she said she had already looked at the chart, not a good answer. I spoke to the owner about it and she said she would address it but I guess it wasn't. The fact that they don't do x-rays there is very big drawback, even the province dentist in Carcar has x-rays for single teeth. I would still recommend Dentaland but ask for either Cherrie or Mark, the owners. One of their other dentists also did a crown for my wife that was well done. Thanks for the review.

JasonEcos

Dentaland does autoclave. I am friends with the receptionist there and have checked out the autoclave myself. Never had work done there though.

Yes, always make sure tools are autoclaved. This goes for doctors, dentists, tattooists, etc.

JasonEcos

Definition of AUTOCLAVE

: an apparatus in which special conditions (as high or low pressure or temperature) can be established for a variety of applications; especially : an apparatus (as for sterilizing) using steam under high pressure

So it's a steam steriliser for cleaning those tools they put in your mouth.  A kind of superclean overkill, considering how much bacteria there is already in your mouth.  Your postal worker friends are over cautious.

Its not so much the bacteria they are worried about, its the bloodborne pathogens...hepatitis, AIDS, etc. Remember a lot of tools are used over and over.

• Like 1

Guy60417

Thanks for the review -- you say that Dentaland is at Ayala, but where is Green Apple? I need cleaning, some fillings, but I hope no extractions.

As often happens, I posted first and thought later. I googled it and it's also at Ayala.

Skywalker

I have an appointment at Dentaland tomorrow for a veneer that needs replacing.

Monsoon

Been to green apple dental before. I was overall very satisfied. 

One thing I noticed is they in the Philippines tend to get overly hung up on some of the little things. Like your upcoming trip and simple extraction One of my favorites is always being told by vets not to bathe (a very strong working dog) for 2 days after receiving a routine vaccination.  But no mention of keeping the same dog out of the rain. 

Skywalker

My 'friend' was told to avoid saunas for a week after the botox injections!   :yahoo:

• Like 3

mistaeric

UPDATE: My dentist recommended I see her tonight before my trip back to the U.S. tomorrow. So I drop by and they take me back and sat me in the dentist chair. The dentist said she wanted to check the progress of my wound,so I opened up and she shot a blow of air in the extraction area. I about hop out that feckin chair!!! It must have hit that nerve of something,then she put a gauze of some betedine on it and that stung also!! She didn hurt me this much when she was digging that bad boy out of my mouth. But it was over in a flash and she said all is well and bon voyage on my trip. I said Thanks and walk to reception area. Now im thinking here we go,,about to get screwed on a 5 min visit to the chair. And to my surprise..THANK YOU SIR,,,COME AGAIN!!! No charge!! I left halfway smiling because my jaw was throbbin a little bit!

Salty Dog

Had a large filling come out a few weeks ago. I went to Green Apple and when they told me it was P900 just to walk in the door (see the dentist), I was a bit taken. I recently came from Dumaguete where I never paid for a checkup as I always got one with my twice a year cleaning for P500. Since I was pretty sure it would be more than that I said OK.

The facility was very clean and modern. The dentist was young, but very professional and thorough. First she did a complete exam. She said my teeth were in good shape with no cavities. A previous dentist told me I had 3, but since I hadn't had any in 30 years and no pain I told him I would hold off for then. She said she saw what he was talking about, but they were just some spots not cavities.

She told me that almost half the tooth was gone where the old filling had been. She recommended a procedure more suited for it but more expensive than a filling. I asked how much and she said P5,000-P6,000. It would required several visits because a lab had to make it and then it had to be fitted. I asked if she could fill it it and she said she would, but could not guarantee it would hold or last very long. It would be P2,000. I figured why not give it a try and went for the filling. It took her over an hour because she had to build it up in several layers. She said she also used several types of materials to make it Stronger and adhere to my tooth better. 

So far so good.

Since then every time I walk by a dentist I ask how much for a cleaning.  So far it's been P800+ to P1,200+ depending on how much cleaning is required. By the way, the P900 at Green Apple covers a cleaning if that's all you needed.

Edited by Salty Dog

SirMadrigal

So what is the general Opinion of the members in the Forum? Green Apple or Dental Land?  I was actually planning on getting a filling (mercury) removed and replaced with composite as one of my first things I do in Cebu.

This is a helpful thread. 900 just to be seen seems a bit steep, bit shocked to hear that. I am due for a cleaning so I guess that softens the blow a bit but hell I can get a cleaning here in the states for $60

Update* MAJOR Brain Fart hahaha, as I have been dealing with the Mexican Peso lately I was thinking in Mexican Pesos not PHP hahaha, I was like "$70!! Gasp!!", 900php for a cleaning is fine hah

Edited by SirMadrigal

samatm

I have had teeth cleaning and xrays at Metro Dental in SM:     Very professional, Very Modern,   They have flat screen monitors where you can see the xray images in large format.   Cost was very reasonable.  1200 i believe for cleaning and x ray etc. 

• Like 1

Salty Dog

hell I can get a cleaning here in the states for $60

That is a pretty good price for the states. I used to pay $50 about 5 years ago, but the going rate was $75 when you didn't have insurance. I told the dentist what the hell. If I have insurance you have to file a claim and wait for your payment of $50. Why would you make me pay more for saving you the paperwork and paying you in cash right now. He laughed and said you've got a point there, $50 it is.

Guy60417

If you’re in Cebu City and you need dental work done, I have a great recommendation for you. I recently had some work done at Bite Solutions, a small dental office on Juana Osmena between Baseline and Maria Cristina.

SANY0446.JPG

It’s a one-dentist office, Dr. Iris Rose Redulla-Salupan. Her work is outstanding and her prices are very, very reasonable (incredibly so, by American standards). I had five fillings done (two new ones and three replacements of old fillings) for 500 pesos each. I also got two crowns at 6000 pesos each.

But much as I enjoy saving money, I’m of the opinion that low prices are meaningless if the work is inferior. Dr. Salupan’s work is excellent, her office professional, and her equipment very much up-to-date. And there was no pain. In addition, she is an extremely nice person and takes the time to get to know what her patient wants, even spending time just chatting (her English is excellent).

My visits to her office were the most pleasant dental experience I’ve ever had. OK, so ‘pleasant dental experiences’ is not a category with a lot of competition. Still, this was as close as visits to a dentist can get to being a nice way to spend an afternoon.

Before going to Dr. Salupan, I had visited DentaLand, in Ayala Mall. They cleaned my teeth and did an exam for a reasonable price (900 pesos), but then recommended several fillings – at 1500 pesos each.

That price was still very low by US standards, but I knew it was absurd for Cebu, thanks to what I had read here. I really resent being taken advantage of because I am a foreigner, so I thanked them for the cleaning and left. I cannot recommend DentaLand.

More detail on the office location: Coming from Mango/Maxilom Avenue, after you pass Baseline, the building next to it contains a beauty salon. Next to the beauty salon is Bite Solutions. If coming in the other direction, from Escario, on the corner of Maria Cristina is a pension, next to it is a residence, and then Bite Solutions. Should be no problem finding it.

• Like 1

msmith524

A dental lab in Cebu that is connected with a good dentist, so I don't have to wait a week for a crowns from manila.

Headed that way

There is one that has a clinic over the MacDonalds at Futetee circle, and I bet I butchered that name. A big traffic circle just north of Cebu Normal University. I've got my gf going there and so far the work has been good. Matter of fact she went again today, second trip on a root canal that they stuffed with antibiotics or something. Hasn't been in a rush to pull a tooth, reasonable prices from what I've read on the forum, maybe a bit more because she and her husband work with a lot of foreign patients.