Cebu House Roof Construction

dc3driver

We have been out looking at houses & it seems almost all are metal roofs. We looked at 1 house, built by a foreinger that had a shingle roof. It looked like a lot of houses I have seen in the US. What would be the advantages or disavantages to a shingle roof here? Thanks.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• Knowdafish

• Dolsos

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But I am 100% sure it is still cooler than a dark colored truck! 

Exhaust fans are great, but color makes a HUGE difference--White repels and dark attracts. Touch a dark colored car in the sun and touch a white one. My builder has been in the business for many year

Well as somebody from Florida I know VEry well that light colored or white roofs make the house exponetially cooler. Of course it is also a scientific fact that white repels heat while dark attractsab

Posted Images

Headshot

Disadvantages:

More expensive

More heat adsorbent (holds the heat longer) than metal roofing of the same color (especially if the metal roofing has a foil/foam underlayment)

Must have plywood underneath which is susceptible to termite and mold damage

More likely to be damaged in a typhoon since the wind can get a better "grip" and can tear out single or multiple shingles

Takes longer to install and is more easily screwed up

Lack of craftsmen who know how to properly build an asphalt shingle roof

Advantages:

The only advantage I can think of for having an asphalt shingle roof in Cebu is appearance if you like the look of shingles

• Like 1
Knowdafish

What was the composition of the shingle roof you were looking at? There are shingle-looking roof materials available in the Philippines other than asphalt based. Some are reinforced plastic/fiberglass, while others are steel. Some look cheap and cheesy while others look quite good, at least while looking at them from ground level. In the U.S. shingle type roofs are most often asphalt based but also come in concrete, slate, and steel, among others. Here I have seen steel, reinforced plastic,concrete tile and non-reinforced plastic, but not asphalt. 

As mentioned before, I think all shingle roofs need need a strong and heavy backing, which I would assume to be plywood which is a potential problem. 

06._Apex_Tile_Effect_Metal_Roofing_.jpg

Steel  vvv

services_metal_shingles.gif

post-14759-0-20774500-1368876138_thumb.jpg

dc3driver

They looked like asphalt, but I didn't go up on the roof to get a real close look.

Knowdafish

They looked like asphalt, but I didn't go up on the roof to get a real close look.

I see. A tip, if you are very curious, take a small pair of binoculars. They work out well for checking out a roof, even a second story one, from ground level. 

Dolsos

I see. A tip, if you are very curious, take a small pair of binoculars. They work out well for checking out a roof, even a second story one, from ground level. 

Just hope the owner doesn't have any teen daughters in a room that direction.

Why interested in Shingles?  Like the lookand want something more unique then the metal style or just wondering if theirs any benefits?

Edited by Dolsos
dc3driver

I'm not interested in shingles in themselves. It is just that a house I looked at had them & I haven't seen a house here with shingles here before. Seems not to be common.

Edited by dc3driver
SkyMan

Advantages:

Much quieter in the rain than metal.

These:

background.31.jpg

handle the wind much better than the traditional like these:

ft_roof_shingles_missing.jpg

Headshot

Here is the color scheme I am using on my house (this isn't my house...but I will also be using stucco and moldings in the same colors. The big thing on the picture, though, is the roof. This is how my roof will look (even the same color). My roof will be a simple hip roof, with no gable ends, so there is less for strong winds to catch. This is a metal roof.

post-6379-0-95673100-1368881976_thumb.jpg

Click the picture to make it bigger, so you can see more detail.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
Knowdafish

Sharp look! (pictured above) I am curious though, why do most houses here go with a dark colored roof (blue, red, brown, green, medium-gray) which gets VERY hot versus a cooler color like light blue or white. 

Edited by Knowdafish
Headshot

Sharp look! (pictured above) I am curious though, why do most houses here go with a dark colored roof (blue, red, brown, green, medium-gray) which gets VERY hot versus a cooler color like light blue or white. 

As long as you use the foil covered insulation under the steel sheeting, and vent the roof properly, it really doesn't make that much difference what the roof color is. I will have an exhaust fan in the roof (near the peak on the back side) to pull hot air out of the attic area if it builds up.

cebubird

As long as you use the foil covered insulation under the steel sheeting, and vent the roof properly, it really doesn't make that much difference what the roof color is. I will have an exhaust fan in the roof (near the peak on the back side) to pull hot air out of the attic area if it builds up.

Exhaust fans are great, but color makes a HUGE difference--White repels and dark attracts. Touch a dark colored car in the sun and touch a white one.

My builder has been in the business for many years and he is amazed at the difference now that he has been inside our house on hot days.! 1st white roof he has ever installed-white galvelume with 2 coats of Boysen Laguna White roofguard.

Too late now, but I wish we would have had a hip roof instead of gable, but too late now. Plus side, it sure does help with the cooling. We also did the necessary work in attic so it would be easy to add 2nd floor if we ever desire.

• Like 4
Headshot

I have a white truck. It is hotter than Hell if it has been left out in the sun. Oh...and you can burn yourself on that cool surface.

Dolsos

I have a white truck. It is hotter than Hell if it has been left out in the sun. Oh...and you can burn yourself on that cool surface.

Aren't there special solar reflective paints?  I thought I had heard of them a while back, maybe thats what he meant? 

I'd still like to cover my roof in photovoltic panels and run some big ass ac's.  

Headshot

I believe the key to house cooling is in insulation and setting up adequate convection currents in the attic. If you can set up air flow where cool air is being pulled in through vents in the eaves, and heated air is escaping through vents high in the roof, then the attic area will remain close to the outside temperature. I will add a fan to that passive system to help if the self ventilation falls behind, but that shouldn't be very often. Now, it is possible to coat your roof with coatings than will prevent adsorption of heat, or you can simply insulate against that heat. I don't particularly care for the look of a white roof. It reminds me of the crap they put on mobile homes to reseal the roofs. So...for me it is partially an aesthetic question.

http://www.mrinspector.net/mutual-resources-psds/Attic_ventilation.pdf

post-6379-0-41048000-1369045295_thumb.jpg

http://www.nrca.net/consumer/attic_ventilation/passive.aspx

I also believe that it is extremely important that you adequately insulate the area just above your top floor (living space). If I ever decide to build in living space into my attic, then I will put insulation in the roof trusses, but for now, my main insulation layer will be below the attic (and above my second floor). I will also have the roll-type foil-backed foam insulation just under the roof sheeting

Therefore, I believe that if you set up adequate convection currents in conjunction with proper insulation, you really don't need to worry too much about roof color. You can choose the roof color that looks good to you.

Edited by Headshot