Who gets the money?

A_Simple_Man

is it true the one with the most money when the die wins?

Smokey said this in another thread but it got me thinking.

An Australian friend died 6 months ago.  He lived with a filipina for 20 years, here in Philippines, then he married her and moved back to Australia (with her) where he died a few years later.

His wife is visiting my wife and I in Philippines.  She came from Australia for a visit and will go back soon but while here she went to the PNB to ask for his money.  He had an account with a few hundred thousand pesos in it that was in his name alone. He left no will.  His death certificate named his adult children from a previous marriage along with his filipina wife as next of kin.

The bank is insisting on a release letter signed by the 3 living children, who live in Australia and have had nothing to do with their 'dad' or his filipina wife in 20 years.  They will not sign any release.

So who will get the money?

Edited by A_Simple_Man
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Canuck Joe

• Davaoeno

• A_Simple_Man

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For anybody who doesn't have a will, this should be a wake-up call. Go to a lawyer and have a will drawn up. Even better, have the identical will drawn up both here and in your home country. Wills dra

Two guys on a scooter?

His wife left him over a year prior to his death, served him papers and he vowed to hide and or burn everything before she got it. its not about owing your child anything, its about having your shit

Dolsos

Looks like the bank gets a nice little payday once they account goes dormant.

I'm sure in their account rules they have a clause "accounts inactive for X months become property of the bank"

• Like 1
SkyMan

Would they sign if given a split?

I'm sure in their account rules they have a clause "accounts inactive for X months become property of the bank"

You're probably right which is why I put a little money in my E-fund account now and then.

smokey

them accts become property of the government the general fund i heard... seems the guy made a bo bo ...

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man

Would they sign if given a split?

3 Australian girls getting a split of a few hundred thousand pesos as opposed to having a laugh over the whole thing?  They have chosen  :ROFLMAO:

smokey

3 Australian girls getting a split of a few hundred thousand pesos as opposed to having a laugh over the whole thing?  They have chosen  :ROFLMAO:

sounds like they did not want good old dad to get married again... 

Headshot

For anybody who doesn't have a will, this should be a wake-up call. Go to a lawyer and have a will drawn up. Even better, have the identical will drawn up both here and in your home country. Wills drawn up in another country are often contested. If you don't do this, then things may not work out the way you think they will. Never trust a bank or a government to have your (or your family's) best interest at heart.

• Like 6
Dolsos

For anybody who doesn't have a will, this should be a wake-up call. Go to a lawyer and have a will drawn up. Even better, have the identical will drawn up both here and in your home country. Wills drawn up in another country are often contested. If you don't do this, then things may not work out the way you think they will. Never trust a bank or a government to have your (or your family's) best interest at heart.

And I'd add, if you have older children in your home country they may not be so accepting/caring for your new children and wife here after you pass.   Make sure to put provisions into the will that guarantee your new wife and family will be taken care of, we had a neighbor in the states who had married a Pinay and had a child, when he passed away his older children went to town on the new wife and managed to strip the house clean of damn near everything useful/valuable.  She was left with virtually nothing and now the family acts as if they were never part of it.

• Like 1
Canuck Joe

my dad just died last June, no will. I am his only son, his separated wife gets everything of value...almost 800,000cad, I get a kick in the ass and a year of trying to figure out how to get over this gnawing resentment that has really has been debilitating.

smokey

And I'd add, if you have older children in your home country they may not be so accepting/caring for your new children and wife here after you pass.   Make sure to put provisions into the will that guarantee your new wife and family will be taken care of, we had a neighbor in the states who had married a Pinay and had a child, when he passed away his older children went to town on the new wife and managed to strip the house clean of damn near everything useful/valuable.  She was left with virtually nothing and now the family acts as if they were never part of it.

i know why would we want the old children to receive anything ...  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

Edited by Headshot
Fixed quote
A_Simple_Man

He'd have made it a joint account if he wanted her to have it.

So you are saying he left her everything except that bank account because he did not want her to have that?  And he is resting happier because some Philippine bank or government agency is going to get it?  You must think he really hated her.  Although, when I give it more thought, I can see him being selfish enough to just not give a damn who got the money after he was gone.

Reality is he liked to keep his own money as his own while alive and thought he was immortal or just did not want to take the responsibility of actually creating a will.  

• Like 1
dennis1105

So you are saying he left her everything except that bank account because he did not want her to have that?  And he is resting happier because some Philippine bank or government agency is going to get it?  You must think he really hated her.  Although, when I give it more thought, I can see him being selfish enough to just not give a damn who got the money after he was gone.

Reality is he liked to keep his own money as his own while alive and thought he was immortal or just did not want to take the responsibility of actually creating a will.  

Every bit of what you just posted sounds like his OWN PERSONAL BUSINESS to me... just sayin'

• Like 1
goldote

I don't know how this gentleman distributed his assets before or after his death.

Such great powers of denial.  Like he was not going to outlive her? 

I've seen widows have to go through all kinds of red tape just to license 'his' car.

Separate bank and charge accounts.  I don't understand.  Marry someone you don't trust?

Married and not willing to share? 

It's easy to misplace a mere 6 grand.

The bank will remove money monthly after it goes dormant usually after two years of inactivity.

Appoint an administrator to assist her.  It's free, you can download the forms.

Ironically, most banks will notorize a will for free.   

Otherwise she becomes a walking example of what...

Flying like we all do makes it easier to die as a couple.

Sure, who cares when you're dead.  But why leave a mess?  

It can be hard...not giving a shit is the last freedom we have left. 

A_Simple_Man

Every bit of what you just posted sounds like his OWN PERSONAL BUSINESS to me... just sayin'

That does raise an interesting side question. Can you even have 'personal business' when you are dead?  Do you honestly think no one is going to go through you personal papers, photos, texts, diaries etc.  I think of death as the ultimate loss of personal privacy combined with the ultimate in privacy at the same time.  Everyone will know what you did but no one knows what you are up to now (spiritually speaking)

• Like 2