Holding 13a visa, divorce is inevitable in the near future.

Hello,  I am have had a 13a visa since 2001.  Heading back to U.S.A. this year to file for divorce.  I am returning to the Philippines to live.  My question is:  Knowing that I am getting a divorce in the very near future, do I, upon leaving the Philippines, voluntarily surrender my I-card to the BOI or can I simply exit the country and reenter the Philippines as a tourist and let the 13-a I-card expire?  Or am I allowed to keep my 13a visa after my divorce?  I have read conflicting posts here about a 13-a visa holder being able to keep his/her 13-a I-card after divorce.  Some say, yes you can keep it after divorce as long as your ex-wife doesn't have it revoked.  Other's say that upon divorce, you automatically lose your 13-a status.  I certainly want to do the right thing.  Any advice would be very appreciative.  

My concern with keeping the 13-a status after divorce is this:  Hypothetically speaking, I am back in the Philippines holding a 13-a visa and legally divorced.  I noticed that the civil status on the back of the I-Card reads "married".  If after divorce, would I take my card to BOI and have them change my civil status to "divorced" or "single"?  Upon coming back after my divorce, it is very possible that I will be traveling abroad (Thailand, Hong Kong, etc) with a single female.  We get to the airport and go through immigration.  I show my 13-a card and passport to the immigration officer, who in turn says, is this your wife?  My answer is "No".  Then as you can imagine, I foresee a lot of issues with trying to explain why I am holding a 13-a visa, that has "civil status" as married, even after showing my divorce decree and traveling with a single female.  I see my single female companion having a difficult time being approved for travel with me.  Any comments/advice/suggestions would be appreciated.  d

Wolfpack

Hello,  I am have had a 13a visa since 2001.  Heading back to U.S.A. this year to file for divorce.  I am returning to the Philippines to live.  My question is:  Knowing that I am getting a divorce in the very near future, do I, upon leaving the Philippines, voluntarily surrender my I-card to the BOI or can I simply exit the country and reenter the Philippines as a tourist and let the 13-a I-card expire?  Or am I allowed to keep my 13a visa after my divorce?  I have read conflicting posts here about a 13-a visa holder being able to keep his/her 13-a I-card after divorce.  Some say, yes you can keep it after divorce as long as your ex-wife doesn't have it revoked.  Other's say that upon divorce, you automatically lose your 13-a status.  I certainly want to do the right thing.  Any advice would be very appreciative.  

My concern with keeping the 13-a status after divorce is this:  Hypothetically speaking, I am back in the Philippines holding a 13-a visa and legally divorced.  I noticed that the civil status on the back of the I-Card reads "married".  If after divorce, would I take my card to BOI and have them change my civil status to "divorced" or "single"?  Upon coming back after my divorce, it is very possible that I will be traveling abroad (Thailand, Hong Kong, etc) with a single female.  We get to the airport and go through immigration.  I show my 13-a card and passport to the immigration officer, who in turn says, is this your wife?  My answer is "No".  Then as you can imagine, I foresee a lot of issues with trying to explain why I am holding a 13-a visa, that has "civil status" as married, even after showing my divorce decree and traveling with a single female.  I see my single female companion having a difficult time being approved for travel with me.  Any comments/advice/suggestions would be appreciated.  d

stop by the immigration office, they will tell you how to handle it the right way...

• Like 1
Dolsos

In your specific situation I'd recomend going to BI and asking them specifically, I'd hate to find out I was wrong after the fact.

I do know you can "downgrade" your 13a so I'm sure you can get back on tourist status, and then if you're qualified get a SRRV visa or do tourist visa runs (which may not be an issue if you're travelling abroad frequently).

Best of luck, sorry to hear about the divorce.

Paul

IN the days before the I-Card, I knew guys who had 13(a) visas, and had been divorced. They were able to keep their status and continue living in the Philippines. Perhaps that holds true today?

I wish I could give you more information. But, that is my limit of knowledge on this topic.

Thanks to all who responded to my post.  Much appreciated......dC