Expired Balikbayan Question

desertjon

When a balikbayan stamp expires..does the tourist 21 day visa automatically start?..Theres a post here saying you do not have to leave the country when it expires..and the tourist visa will start..then within 21 days go to a boI and pay the 38 day extension and start the 2 month visits again..Any info on this would be appreciated 

Dolsos

Thats how i understand it to work, if your stamp has already expired I'd suggest a visa run to renew it or go to BI and get your extension sorted out sooner then later.

Go to the BI office before it expires, it gets downgraded to the tourist visa and you pay for the extension of 59 days all at one time. there is a fee for the downgrade it doesn't happen automatically.

• Like 2
ed villas

if the balikbayan stamp expires. then it has expired. either you must leave the RP or visit your local BI (not BOI.)

you dont not or will not  get a new 21 day automatically. 

desertjon

Can someone tell me the cost of a downgrade fee?..Thanks

USMC-Retired

If you go to BI you can extend your BB stamp for 6 more months and up to two years total.  

Temporary Visitors admitted under RA 6768 or "Balikbayan" classification who were given an initial authorized stay on one (1) year, may be granted an extension of not more than two (2) months for non-restricted nationals and one (1) month for restricted nationals per application. As with 9(a) visa holders, this privilege is limited for a maximum extension of twelve (12) months for non-restricted nationals and six (6) months for restricted nationals per admission.

Correspondingly, all Balikbayans 14 years and below and 60 years of age shall be allowed to extend their temporary visitor visa under Section 9a of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 as amended, for a maximum period of 6 months for every extension PROVIDED that all appropriate fees are paid. Thus, Balikbayans are allowed a maximum total stay of 2 years inclusive of all extensions. (MEMORANDUM ORDER NO. ADD – 02 – 011 dated 11 February 2002).

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 1
desertjon

You have been a tremendous help to me..Whenever I have a question I come here knowing I can rely on professional help with the correct answers..Keep up the good work :)

Davaoeno

You have been a tremendous help to me..Whenever I have a question I come here knowing I can rely on professional help with the correct answers..Keep up the good work :)

I dont think anyone here ever offers to give " professional " help - and it would be a mistake to assume that any help given is professional. What we offer is our own personal experiences and our own understanding about what the current state of the law is - anyone needing help should always do their own due diligence and ask their own questions of the authorities.   Assuming what you are told on an internet forum is the correct state of the law at that particular time as applies to you is a dangerous thing to do . 

[ no slight intended to anyone who posted info in this thread]

• Like 4
desertjon

Update on this topic....I went to BI in Mactan this morning and asked them if I could downgrade my expired Balikbayan stamp to a Tourist Visa..and was told I can renew.. and begin paying every two months as a Tourist..I was in and out of the office in 30 minutes and was charged 6,930 Pesos for 59 days..including the ACR card renewal which I can pick up in 3 weeks..then return in August to extend my Tourist Visa for two months..and can continue the extensions every two months up to 16 months..then leave the country and return the following day and start the process over again..I was impressed with the friendliness of the entire staff..There were only 5 ahead of me at 9 am..The new Mactan office is open from 7 am to 5:30 pm 6 days a week and closed on Sunday :)

Paul

Thanks for the update. And, don't worry too much about Davaoeno. <whispering> He's a lawyer. He's paid to say those sorts of things.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1