SkyMan

Is it available here and does anyone have any experience using it?  I seem to recall reading it was good for up to an inch of variance even a 10ft square area?  If one needed more than 1 inch would multiple layers work?  After drying is it basically the same hardness as regular concrete?

Dolsos

I saw a van that said either self levelling or self shaking cement on it, something to that affect but I didn't pay alot of attention as I'm not currently looking to buy it.  

So, I'd say its more then likely available just have to look  around for it.

Come to think of it I think it was a cement mixer I saw it on...  

tim1967

i have used it here in the us and it worked great. 10 years later still no cracks. i put tile on top of it in my bathroom. i do not know about thickness though. i only needed about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch for thickness. so good luck to you

David_LivinginTalisay

I dont know about 'cement', but did read about a cement sealer that was self levelling.   You use it on the concrete floors pf a garage to provide a flat level surface that does not absorb oil and is easy to keep clean.

I guess it is more like a special paint than cement. 

Seems there are self-levelling cement/concrete/compounds:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-leveling_concrete

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/a-general-guide-to-pouring-a-self-leveling-concrete-floor

http://www.concretenetwork.com/overlays-resurfacing-buyers-guide/self-leveling.html

http://www.made-in-china.com/products-search/hot-china-products/Self_Leveling_Cement.html

SkyMan

Good links David.  I'll look at them closer if I find the stuff here in Cebu.  Thanks.

I saw it (self-leveling compound) in Wilcon many, many years ago manufactured by ABC.  I have not seen it since but maybe ABC still supply it.  I used it decades ago in UK; you need to do a lot of work spreading and getting it as level as possible.  I concluded the 'self-leveling' label really meant 'self-smoothing.'

PS. The product I used was not a cement in the conventional sense but designed for a finish layer (say 1 cm thick) before tiling.

Davaoeno

I saw it (self-leveling compound) in Wilcon many, many years ago manufactured by ABC.  I have not seen it since but maybe ABC still supply it.  I used it decades ago in UK; you need to do a lot of work spreading and getting it as level as possible.  I concluded the 'self-leveling' label really meant 'self-smoothing.'

PS. The product I used was not a cement in the conventional sense but designed for a finish layer (say 1 cm thick) before tiling.

I believe what you are talking about is referred to as tile  adhesive here

I believe what you are talking about is referred to as tile  adhesive here

No, tile adhesive is completely different.

Edited by GoHuk
Davaoeno

No, tile adhesive is completely different.

ok- i was just going by the description that you gave  ie PS. The product I used was not a cement in the conventional sense but designed for a finish layer (say 1 cm thick) before tiling.

which in the Phil is exactly what tile adhesive is lol

post-8045-0-09862000-1368763019_thumb.png

Edited by Davaoeno
smokey

Good links David.  I'll look at them closer if I find the stuff here in Cebu.  Thanks.

do you mean the stuff they use to float the floor like before they install tile or wood floors... for the most part used when the floor is not even poured on look at y tube and look up install one piece floor vinyl ... i used some stuff to tile over tile that is also good stuff 

Knowdafish

There is more than one type of self leveling cement

One type is designed as an overlay to level an existing floor

The other type is for use when pouring a brand new slab of concrete.

The two are totally different products.

When overlaying it can be a multi-step process, but not always. A single step process is shown here, but it is only if the floor that needs to be leveled is already relatively close to level:

If you want to pour a self leveling slab:

SkyMan

When overlaying it can be a multi-step process, but not always. A single step process is shown here, but it is only if the floor that needs to be leveled is already relatively close to level:

Yep, that's what I'm looking for.
JohnD

There are many self leveling concrete materials. Some are excellent like the Ardex brand which can be put down as thin as a credit card, 1/15th of an inch, and be as strong as normal concrete. There are also some normally purchased at a local hardware store that are cheap and not good.

The question is will the self leveled concrete be the final surface or will you put tile or something else over it.

I would recommend going to this website: www.qualityconcreteasia.com. They are based in Quezon City but can get you material in Cebu. A good self leveling product will "self level" meaning all you have to do is hand trowel it to spread it. The photo above is not a self leveler. A single application should also be enough. Good Luck.

• Like 1