Sign in to follow this  
spydoo

Due Diligence for Online Dating

spydoo

Hey.

I was thinking about how I helped id a scammer for a friend. He was chatting to some scammer from South Africa and sending her money. It was nice to be able to put a stop to it so I thought I'd share the technique for anyone here to do some basic due dilligence.

I downloaded 'her' photo to my computer, then uploaded it to Google images. It showed the same photo had been used for another profile in the US. The scammer had stolen it. It's a pretty common technique, so this should be the first thing everyone who is looking online should check.

I agree with everyone who will say that dating filipinas online is usually bad value anyway, but if you are going to do it anyway it's wise to take precautions.

Any other tips?

• Like 3

Thelandofku-an!

Hey.

I was thinking about how I helped id a scammer for a friend. He was chatting to some scammer from South Africa and sending her money. It was nice to be able to put a stop to it so I thought I'd share the technique for anyone here to do some basic due dilligence.

I downloaded 'her' photo to my computer, then uploaded it to Google images. It showed the same photo had been used for another profile in the US. The scammer had stolen it. It's a pretty common technique, so this should be the first thing everyone who is looking online should check.

I agree with everyone who will say that dating filipinas online is usually bad value anyway, but if you are going to do it anyway it's wise to take precautions.

Any other tips?

Despite appearances, the Philippines is not "ebay" for finding girls, may I suggest:

Invest the money in helping some of heartbreaking cases of disabled kids here and by doing so perhaps meet 

someone with a heart too!

Any decent man would be cheered to see his money well spent on milk for children that cannot masticate!

These kids need building up for the rigors of life and any future operations if they are lucky?

Note: A tin of milk here lasts two weeks and is a months salary for some woman in the province!

Best thing is to send small food parcels with instructions, otherwise the contents are shared around in seconds!

There are links on this site to reputable causes!

Distressing example:

:link: http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/45106-heartbreaking/

Edited by Thelandofku-an!
  • Like 6

shadow

Hey.

Any other tips?

1; The first time she hints for money, be careful.

2; The second time she hints for money, be very, very careful.

3; The third time she hints for money,... dump her.

4; The first time she asks for money, dump her.

5; The second time her grandmother dies, dump her.

The minute you start sending money is the minute you will never know again whether she wants you for you, or wants you for your money. Most that are advertising themselves online will fall into the latter category.

• Like 5

broden

it's a good general rule in life

i know a guy that got fired when he took off the second time for the death of his mom 3 years after her first death

• Like 1

spydoo

1; The first time she hints for money, be careful.

2; The second time she hints for money, be very, very careful.

3; The third time she hints for money,... dump her.

4; The first time she asks for money, dump her.

The minute you start sending money is the minute you will never know again whether she wants you for you, or wants you for your money. Most that are advertising themselves online will fall into the latter category.

Thanks Shadow. I posted this knowing that you would be able to provide some helpful advice if you were willing to share it.

Would you share any other ways to research a woman?

Skywalker

If you find yourself even considering sending money to a 'girl' you never met, you are already setting yourself up as a victim.

Now, where is that email from the nice woman in Nigeria who wants to give me 30% of a multi million dollar fund, if I can accept the money into my bank account.

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 2

Skywalker

Smokey had a "lived happily ever after" event. But I'm guessing that happens once in a blue moon.

The earth moved for me this morning, a little tremor to remind me how fragile life really is.

• Like 3

Dolsos

you may be scholor and you maybe a super investor but your talking ...oh poppycock .....  i sent my now wife money for 2 years before we ever meet i did not like how her life was so hard... i sure dont want whippy mad at me.. ha ha ha but for a while i was sending her 600 a month.. i took her little house with no water and turned it into a electric.. hot and cold .. air con ,, tiled little happy house and started sending to get her children a shot at college... best money i ever spent

Thats great for you but for every one story we find where it has a happy ending there's lots of stories where it didn't.

Did your wife ask you to start sending money, or did you do it because you felt it necessary?  I think that may be the key distinction.

I wouldn't advise never sending them money if you hadn't met them but the circumstances surrounding it would have to be pretty clear.

• Like 2

Davaoeno

Thats great for you but for every one story we find where it has a happy ending there's lots of stories where it didn't.

Did your wife ask you to start sending money, or did you do it because you felt it necessary?  I think that may be the key distinction.

I wouldn't advise never sending them money if you hadn't met them but the circumstances surrounding it would have to be pretty clear.

Old Smokey is pretty crispy around the edges but inside he is always a soft touch with a huge streak of  generosity  and caring    - and prefers to be that way !!

[ just dont tell him that I told you that tho !!  it would ruin his reputation !]

• Like 1

Dolsos

Old Smokey is pretty crispy around the edges but inside he is always a soft touch with a huge streak of  generosity  and caring    - and prefers to be that way !!

[ just dont tell him that I told you that tho !!  it would ruin his reputation !]

I wasn't trying to imply he wasn't generous or was a fool or anything, it just seems to me that he probably saw how she lived and knew he could make a difference in her life so took it upon himself to offer the help.   

I don't think a "scammer" would pretend to have a real relationship longer term with a foreigner in the hopes that he started sending her money at some point in the future, seems to me they'd want to find the quick buck and move on to the next guy and probably are chatting with several people at once in the hopes one of them will fork it over.

shadow

Thanks Shadow. I posted this knowing that you would be able to provide some helpful advice if you were willing to share it.

Would you share any other ways to research a woman?

And give away all our trade secrets? We have developed numerous tricks and traps over the years, but the techniques vary according to what the girl is claiming.

If one learns to scrutinize profiles, he will eliminate many scammers just by what they post on their profile. Some glaring red flags that are often misread are;

I want a man who is;

generous (bottomless pockets)

don't mind helping my family (Usually includes 56 cousins and their husbands)

financially stable (fat bank account)

own home (see above)

I want;

Go to other country. (green card shark)

Be able to help my family (Usually includes 56 cousins and their husbands)

Go back to school (at your expense I will attend school forever, start by sending money now)

Years ago after reading thousands of profiles I had quite a list of red flags, but have forgotten most of them having not read many profiles for the last ten years. Using them, I made a very wise first pick after a long absence of dating. The result of that choice is now my wife of ten years.   

There are exceptions to every rule.

• Like 3

smokey

she never asked     when your not sure just have her checked out but the linc detective 006.02 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<   pointman 

Edited by smokey

Dolsos

Years ago after reading thousands of profiles I had quite a list of red flags, but have forgotten most of them having not read many profiles for the last ten years. Using them, I made a very wise first pick after a long absence of dating. The result of that choice is now my wife of ten years.   

One thing in profiles I learned to stay away from was "I don't attend school because I take care of my sick <insert relative here>," or variations to that effect.

Seems that sick relative always needs costly procedures that they just can't afford without your support.

shadow

I don't think a "scammer" would pretend to have a real relationship longer term with a foreigner in the hopes that he started sending her money at some point in the future, 

This used to be pretty much true, but the wiser scammers have learned to be more patient in hopes of a bigger payoff, and for many it is working, to the tune of many millions of pesos. The Pointman has uncovered several scams in the last few years involving LARGE sums of money, MANY people involved, and taking 2-3 years or more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1