Cebu immigration, is it worth asking for this ?

Hi,... just asking a question on behalf of a friend who is moving out to Cebu next month to retire there and be with his wife and child.
He is booking his return flights from UK,... and being met at the Cebu airport by his wife and child. He doesn't intend returning to UK.
Although we all know you need to be with your wife on entering the country to obtain the Balikbayan stamp,.... would it be worth just politely asking the officer at the desk if he could have one as his wife is waiting for him and he intends living there ??
Okay,..so they say no,.. but would they take offence with him ?? not let him in ??

He does plan on taking a trip with his wife to Hong Kong within the first 3 weeks so they can then re-enter and get it that way, but if it just happened that he asked the right officer on the right day and maybe just be granted that lovely one year 'free-pass' !
I hear of others leaving a 1000 peso note in their passport when they hand it over to the officer, but I wouldn't advise him to go down that route.
Anyone tried this before ??

Dolsos

I would advise your friend to meet his wife in HK first, or if he truly plans to go to HK with her in 3 weeks not worry about it he can get get the 21 day visa extended to 59 days easilly enough.

For the price of the extension it may be worth just meeting his wife in HK first though (No idea what the price of a round trip ticket to HK is just throwing that out there)

I would never attempt to bribe an official like that all it takes is the guy in the next booth getting pissed off and reporting it to get you in alot of pain.  Dealing with the court system here is not something you want to do.

USMC-Retired

He plans on living here long term and he wants to start that off by bribing people at the airport to give him something he does not rate.  They are pretty liberal with the BB stamp when you come and go with your spouse.  They have been for many years now.   The issue will arise if he is questioned on an out going flight how he got the BB stamp.  They may request to see her passport to prove he traveled with her.  Manila has been known in the past to do that especially with stamps from Cebu.  

I just would come as a tourist or meet her in Hong Kong or Singapore.  

Edited by USMC-Retired
Thelandofku-an

Hi,... just asking a question on behalf of a friend who is moving out to Cebu next month to retire there and be with his wife and child.

He is booking his return flights from UK,... and being met at the Cebu airport by his wife and child. He doesn't intend returning to UK.

Although we all know you need to be with your wife on entering the country to obtain the Balikbayan stamp,.... would it be worth just politely asking the officer at the desk if he could have one as his wife is waiting for him and he intends living there ??

Okay,..so they say no,.. but would they take offence with him ?? not let him in ??

He does plan on taking a trip with his wife to Hong Kong within the first 3 weeks so they can then re-enter and get it that way, but if it just happened that he asked the right officer on the right day and maybe just be granted that lovely one year 'free-pass' !

I hear of others leaving a 1000 peso note in their passport when they hand it over to the officer, but I wouldn't advise him to go down that route.

Anyone tried this before ??

Good advice on the last two posts!

I have entered the Philippines through Manila a few times this way, NEVER PUT MONEY IN YOUR PASSPORT OR OFFER IT!

Technique:

Be cool.

Bring an original of your wifes NSO in your married names and also her passport (if possible) to prove she's "in country".

Look for a pleasant faced younger female officer (less jaded).

Ask nicely if you can have a Balikbayan stamp when showing her supporting documents (I always said, "my wife is pregnant and can't travel").

Don't give your passport until agreed, or maybe they'll just stamp it tourist.

Be cool if refused, move to a different kiosk and try another officer.

Apparently, it can be given by discretion to me (a very long time ago), my friends often still do this, so why not try?

Edited by Thelandofku-an!
johnboy999

Entry into the Philippines is entirely at the discretion of the immigration official, and they would be quite within their rights to refuse entry, especially for making an illegal request that could potentially land him/her in trouble with their superiors. If your friend is really planning to take a trip to Hong Kong with his wife, that is the time to ask for the BB visa and provided they take their marriage certificate with them there is no reason why it will be refused. The BB stamp is free so why pay for it and why risk refusal on his entry into Cebu for the sake of a few weeks? Just take the 21 days on entry and have a hassle free entry into the country. Why give himself unnecessary stress?

• Like 3
panther

not sure but ask him if I can use his return ticket to the u.k as he won,t be needing it lol i,ll pay him of course 

dc3driver

He plans on living here long term and he wants to start that off by bribing people at the airport to give him something he does not rate.  They are pretty liberal with the BB stamp when you come and go with your spouse.  They have been for many years now.   The issue will arise if he is questioned on an out going flight how he got the BB stamp.  They may request to see her passport to prove he traveled with her.  Manila has been known in the past to do that especially with stamps from Cebu.  

I just would come as a tourist or meet her in Hong Kong or Singapore.  

Tim: This is good advice you are giving. I had never heard of getting asked abbout BB stamp in passport when leaving. Sure makes one think.

Thanks,...firstly I only mentioned that I'd heard about the 1000 in the passport,..I never suggested to him he should do it.

He was going to meet her in Hong kong and travel in together,.. but somehow he thinks he might get delayed or somehow book his own return flights to Hong kong and then try booking the onward flight for her and find there's no seats left on the flight for him. Unfortunately he 's not a huge traveller and worries a lot.

My original idea was just to ASK the official,..without any hassle if they refused, and just walk on through.

It was only a thought as he's a very pleasant and charming man with a permanent smile.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions,

SkyMan

If he tries to come on a 1-way ticket he will probably not be allowed on the plane without having to run and buy some sort of onward ticket to somewhere.  If he has time he should go to the RP embassy and get a 13A.  Easier to do out of country and he goes straight to permanent rather than probationary and have to do it again in a year.  He'll have to do some finish up paperwork within a few days of arrival but it's much easier.

spydoo

About him buying a return flight from the UK to have an onward ticket, the return of which is likely to be a throwaway...

I've found from Australia one is better off buying a one way to Kuala Lumpur then a return into Cebu as it's cheaper. I wonder if he could do something similar, for example buy a one way to HK then a return from Hong Kong to Cebu?

dc3driver

That sounds correct to me. My wife & I went to HK for a couple of days & she got a 1 year renewal.

About that onward ticket, In my personal experience of arriving 10 or 12 times, never once was I asked for an onward ticket. Others have been, so plan accordingly.

Update is he's got his return ticket from UK to Cebu, once there they will pop on a flight to Hong Kong within the first few weeks and return as a couple.  He will however be asking politely if if he can avail of the BB when he arrives by himself,..nothing ventured, nothing gained..no harm in asking and if answered no he will just proceed through..

Best of luck to him in his new venture.

USMC-Retired

Update is he's got his return ticket from UK to Cebu, once there they will pop on a flight to Hong Kong within the first few weeks and return as a couple.  He will however be asking politely if if he can avail of the BB when he arrives by himself,..nothing ventured, nothing gained..no harm in asking and if answered no he will just proceed through..

Best of luck to him in his new venture.

Best to have a copy of the marriage license and a copy of her passport.  Just to show the counter.  

Food for thought.  

USMC-Retired

Onward ticket is not required.  That is false information.    

Also being out of the country for one year is not required.  If you had after a year absence a stamp and were traveling.  You can continue to avail of the service.   As long as I have been in this country since 2007 the BB program has been used even if they are not returning after a year absence.  You have to think of this from a monetary stand point.  Making it less hassle for the BB and family to remain.  That keeps them here and keeps their money here.  

Edited by USMC-Retired
SkyMan

How are you a forum moderator on the topic of the Philippines, when you have obviously never been to the country or know anything about it? Are you just bored? lol

Assuming you are pinoy, why do you keep posting about visas you will never need and obviously know nothing about?
  • Like 2