What light through yonder window breaks? It is a SNAKE!

SkyMan

So the wife and I are sitting by my computer and for some reason we both look up at the window at the same time and she says, what's that?  At first look I thought that it might be a piece of rope or a snake skin.  Upon closer inspection it was the later and the snake was still wearing it.  I went outside and took a pic.  He's very pretty and I think a constrictor variety.

So it's time to play everyone's favorite game......what's my snake?

gallery_940_819_271474.jpg

• Admin (Retired)
broden

have an apple while you wait for some answers

smidsy

All I can say, is in Australia, if the snake is climbing, then its not poisonous !

I dont know if thats also true in Phils.

Knowdafish

It looks as though it is a reticulated python. It is nonvenomous. They are good at catching and eating rats, and when larger - cats, dogs, kids, and anything that runs across their path. They are known to be the world's longest snake species when fully grown. They can be tamed and kept as pets, but a burmese python, which is also common in the Philippines is a better choice. They have sharp, inward growing teeth that are used to hold their prey. It is best not to get bit by one. They are easy to catch if you grab it behind the head. 

"Adults can grow to 6.95 m (22.8 ft) in length but normally grow to an average of 3–6 m (10–20 ft). They are the world's longest snakes and longest reptile, but are not the most heavily built. Like all pythons, they are nonvenomous constrictors and normally not considered dangerous to humans. Although large specimens are powerful enough to kill an adult human, attacks are only occasionally reported."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_reticulatus

I'm surprised you have come across a live one. The locals here in Dumaguete kill, and/or eat any snake they catch. One of our neighbors here has caught two burmese pythons and ate them. He would have had 3 but it escaped from his bag before he could do so. He caught all of them in or next to the Banica river. Two were caught while they were swimming in the river. 

I really wish they would not kill and eat nonvenomous snakes! They keep the rat population under control as well as stray cats! 

SkyMan

and when larger - cats, dogs, kids, and anything that runs across their path.

My wife was instantly worried about the dogs but I don't think a 3ft python is going to do much damage to a 30Kg dog.  Hahahaha
SkyMan

I may try to catch and relocate tomorrow so I better get to it first thing before it warms up and he goes on the move.

panther

My wife was instantly worried about the dogs but I don't think a 3ft python is going to do much damage to a 30Kg dog.  Hahahaha

i,m not so sure my chihuahua would be safe though lol

sell it to the locals if your short of a few bucks lol

• Like 1
Knowdafish

I may try to catch and relocate tomorrow so I better get to it first thing before it warms up and he goes on the move.

Good idea. An easy way to catch one, if the room has aircon, is to turn it on, and let it "chill". 

Make sure your dogs are not the inquisitive type. While a snake this size won't constrict and kill a 30kg dog it can give it a nasty bite that will easily get infected. The infection could later kill the dog and/or cost you an expensive vet bill. 

Note to the wise - if a snake like this bites you don't jerk away! It will break off the snakes teeth in the wound which are hard to remove and will likely get infected. Instead pry the biting snake off of the wound with a dull knife or similar object. 

Edited by Knowdafish
musicman666

I had a snake in the middle of my living room ....for quite a while I didn't notice it thinking it was part of a vacuum cleaner... Until I focused on the head bobbing around in mid air ....all hell broke loose.

SkyMan

Good idea. An easy way to catch one, if the room has aircon, is to turn it on, and let it "chill".

No A/C in the house but the snake was on the outside of the house on the window bars.

Nowhere to be found this AM. Quite possibly it's in the walls which is fine, maybe it can get some mice there.

sell it to the locals if your short of a few bucks lol

I'd rather release it into the brush around my property.  I'd consider building it a cage and growing it into a big one but I have enough animals/responsibilities right now.  We had a hao on the property I'd like to have kept it but he was in no mood to be caught and headed off into the brush before we had a chance.  Hao (how) is the local term for the big iguanas.

btw, your easy Cebuano lesson for the day is the the word for snake.  Biten.  Don't get bitten by the biten.

Dolsos

Hmm, I'd say it looks like a Dinner Snake but it already got away.

Do pinoys eat snakes here?  

quit_yume

reticulated's often times never calm down to make good pets.  many have an attitude problem for most of their life.  the last thing you want to be dealing with is a rapidly growing snake with an attitude problem.   whoever mentioned that burmese make better pets is correct although there are some regional differences in attitude with retics so its possible to sometimes find mellower ones.