Hot water heater install.... easy or hard?

ILoveCyrus

We take for granted the hot water that we have in many parts of the world.  Other places must gather stick, build a fire, and heat the water.

Our place in Mactan does not have hot water and I would really like to have a water heater installed.  So, how difficult or easy is this project?

1. do I need to hire a licensed contractor or can I do it myself with help of friends?

2. is copper pipe standard material in Pinas or do they still use galvanized pipe?

3. can I just use the existing pipes (hope it's not PVP).........or do I have to do some repiping to the faucets and showers.....?

This place is newly built, about 2 years..........but I don't think they used COPPER pipes  but I'm not sure.....(cheap shortcuts to keep costs down)

The more I think about it..........the MORE this project sucks.

Sorry mods, I guess I'm not finding these topics in the search bar.

Dolsos

At Ace they advertise free install with water heaters, check there see if you can get it done with purchase.  Don't buy the absolute cheapest, make sure to get one with automatic disconnect in emergency

• Like 1
ancienrocka

It's a doddle mate, especially the water part.  Just connect the inlet hose to your normal bathroom tap/faucet, no need for any clever, copper pipe plumbing.

The more important part is making sure your electrics are properly earthed and isolated.

• Like 1
Woolf

Something like this shower heater that you want ?

If it is then no plumbing needed,

just disconnect the shower hose and connect it to the heater,

and connect the hose from the water outlet to the heater

post-6705-0-18022500-1368107612_thumb.jpg

Peter C

make sure, you have sufficient water pressure at the inlet. in most cases the heater is activated by a flow switch or a pressure switch. 

Knowdafish

Have talent? It's quite simple!  :cool:

No talent?  :scratch_head:  It can be quite difficult! 

If the latter applies please let us know so we can sell tickets prior to the attempt at installation.  :ROFLMAO:

• Like 3
smokey

i have an extra water heater i bought it from ace for 22,000 its 20 gallon  with 2 element ... at the time i bought it i wanted the elements out of it to replace the ones in my big water heater and then when i came back to cebu i replaced them if interested you can have it for 12,000 still in the box... 

Paul

At Ace they advertise free install with water heaters

As Dolsos stated, Ace, and many appliance stores around Cebu, offer free installation with many appliances that you may purchase from them. Simply go to the location you wish to purchase the heater from, and let them know you wish to have installation included as well.

They can take care of it all.

Woolf

As long as the OP has not told us, if he wants a simple shower water heater or a full system with multi taps around the house and a storage water heater, it is hard to give any advice

ILoveCyrus

As long as the OP has not told us, if he wants a simple shower water heater or a full system with multi taps around the house and a storage water heater, it is hard to give any advice

yep.....looking at whole house water heater to all bathrooms, the kitchen, and the washing machine......  What's that run in total cost, approx....>???

philuk

My choisw would be one of these on the roof

post-1-0-51072000-1368172699_thumb.jpg

works like this

post-1-0-86821400-1368172701_thumb.jpg

if you go for the top option without a pump, there is no electic used, the hot water is free,

maybe a little more expensive to buy and install, but well worth the effort

Edited by Paul
attached images, removed linking to them.
  • Like 2
Raven

We take for granted the hot water that we have in many parts of the world.  Other places must gather stick, build a fire, and heat the water.

Our place in Mactan does not have hot water and I would really like to have a water heater installed.  So, how difficult or easy is this project?

1. do I need to hire a licensed contractor or can I do it myself with help of friends?

2. is copper pipe standard material in Pinas or do they still use galvanized pipe?

3. can I just use the existing pipes (hope it's not PVP).........or do I have to do some repiping to the faucets and showers.....?

This place is newly built, about 2 years..........but I don't think they used COPPER pipes  but I'm not sure.....(cheap shortcuts to keep costs down)

The more I think about it..........the MORE this project sucks.

Sorry mods, I guess I'm not finding these topics in the search bar.

Since you only have one pipe around the house, maybe you go for single point heater where you need it. :twocents:

What happened to the heating element in your washing machine?

..and I´m using Dura Bend pipes..

Edited by Raven
ILoveCyrus

Since you only have one pipe around the house, maybe you go for single point heater where you need it. :twocents:

What happened to the heating element in your washing machine?

..and I´m using Dura Bend pipes..

Hahaha....I'm so ignorant.  I didn't know that washing machines in Pinas have onboard heating elements.  I assumed that they were like machines in US, where hot water comes straight from the whole house tank.  HAHAHAHA

Like Homer says:  DOH

SkyMan

i have an extra water heater i bought it from ace for 22,000 its 20 gallon  with 2 element ... at the time i bought it i wanted the elements out of it to replace the ones in my big water heater and then when i came back to cebu i replaced them if interested you can have it for 12,000 still in the box... 

I'm assuming Paul is ok with you posting this but for newer members who might see this, be sure to get Paul's approval before posting any kind of advertisement.

• Like 1
Thelandofku-an

Dolsos advice is good, Ace hardware may also do warranty work.

Cebu home home builders the same.

You may receive conflicting advice, "professional installation" is the best way, sadly the actual

worker could be an expert or an idiot (like my split aircon "free installation" which in fact was nothing

more than piecework for salesmans "brother-in-law" with no flaring tools).

"Point of use" instant heaters can be added as you can afford them and don't require a hot pipe circuit.

If your bathroom and kitchen are close then consider a storage type heater with hot pipe circuit.

Instant water heaters: Can be chosen to suit high or low water pressure, some have a plastic heater

tank that can be dismantled for cleaning, copper tanks are generally sealed throwaways.

Don't buy "bells and whistles" because there may be no spare parts available, 3kw (3,000 watts)

seems fine and won't overload your house electrics.

Choose a model with electrical safety device (not just overheat switch) because stand-alone safety

devices are almost impossible to locate!

Here's a basic water heater that has "EELS" safety switch buit-in, they are available from electrical supply merchants not DIY stores, I use the 820i (4,500-5,000 Php) on all jobs and spares are available!

:link: http://www.joven-electric.com/product_main_listing.php?category_id=2&series_id=7

Storage water heaters: May require more plumbing, choose a model that does not need a cold storage

roof tank.

INTERESTING: In some water districts storage type heaters may only last 3-4 years, usually 

because the sacrificial anode has been consumed. I found that drilling and stainless bolting a

bigger anode to the original almost doubled the life of the unit!

If you are in a hard water area calcification  or silification block showerheads often, silification does not

dissolve, prick shower heads carefully from inside with a hard wooden (bamboo) toothpick.

Before trusting this completed installation with your life, get a knowledgeable trustworthy electrical engineer to inspect it!

:link: http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/58884-electric-shock-explanation/?hl=%2Bwhy+%2Belectric+%2Bshock

Edited by Thelandofku-an!