Overstaying then getting a CR-1 Visa

Headshot

Ah I thpught K1 and Cr1 went stateside and only IR1 stayed here.

You're going to apply for the IR-1 anyway...right? You've been married over two years.

USMC-Retired

I was refering to the OP who is not married and not for over two years. I thought CR1 could not be done in Manila. Yes I will do IR1 with DCF. Yet I have no ACR card so it may get interesting.

shadow

I was refering to the OP who is not married and not for over two years. I thought CR1 could not be done in Manila. Yes I will do IR1 with DCF. Yet I have no ACR card so it may get interesting.

The only difference between IR1 and CR1 is determined at the port of entry after the visa is issued. Those married more than two years when passing through port of entry will be granted IR1 status and 10 year green card. Those not married two years will be CR1 and a conditional 2 year green card issued (Conditional Resident).

Headshot

It shouldn't be a problem. You have a BB stamp. We had a CR-1 done in Manila a couple of years ago. I believe everything was done right there at the embassy.

• 2 weeks later...
USMC-Retired

The only difference between IR1 and CR1 is determined at the port of entry after the visa is issued. Those married more than two years when passing through port of entry will be granted IR1 status and 10 year green card. Those not married two years will be CR1 and a conditional 2 year green card issued (Conditional Resident).

Ok so this becomes confusing according to the orders the visa approval given by Manila should state CR1 OR IR1. Not exactly sure what would happen if you arrive at the POE with a CR1 and rated an IR1. Now I know it is USCIS will be the one to do the paper work for green cards and such. Or has that requirement expired and Manila no longer does that?

shadow

"Ok so this becomes confusing according to the orders the visa approval given by Manila should state CR1 OR IR1. Not exactly sure what would happen if you arrive at the POE with a CR1 and rated an IR1. Now I know it is USCIS will be the one to do the paper work for green cards and such. Or has that requirement expired and Manila no longer does that?"

Something is buggered up on the quotes. The above is from Tim, and this is my response; 

The final say is at the port of entry. If you have been married 2 years or more at the POE and it is brought to the attention of the admitting officer, an IR1 is granted and a 10 year permanent resident green card issued. 

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1