Sign in to follow this  
Ricbak

Another question on the UK pension

musicman666

I filled out the online form, they also required my NI number. The following day I got a confirmation email explaining that they would follow up with a written reply. Job done I guess. UK next month coincidentally.

Not sure if I will need to top up the account, I pay a lot of tax, but the year qualification is a strange one. I've been a higher rate tax payer for years, but there is no higher rate pension. That's not fair, but hey ho. Somebody needs to pay for the benefit cheats, lazy cnuts and immigrants.

Thanks.....I now have hope ....ill give it another go and expect a quick reply ....

David_LivinginTalisay

When I was promoted to Engineering Manager - Asia Pacific based in Hong Kong, I had to pay Class 1 NI Contributions for a full 12 Months of the Tax Year.  Then I had to make a decision on continuing to Pay Class 1  Contributions, opt for Voluntary Class 3 Contributions.  I went with neither of these, and opted to pay none, for a while.

When I obtained a Pension Statement, it said I would only have 60% of a Full Pension, as I only had 27 qualifying years, instead of the 44 Years that were required at that time.  I think I paid the balance of a complete year to take it up to 28 years, if I recall correctly.

I am sure glad I did not add 6+ extra years of Voluntary Class 3 Contributions to increase my 60% of Full UK State Pension, because the Rules changed, and one only needed 30 x Qualifying Years.  I only need to add 2 more years.

Looks like it will become 35 x Qualifying Years as well as waiting until I beccome 66 years old.

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

David_LivinginTalisay

I filled out the online form, they also required my NI number. The following day I got a confirmation email explaining that they would follow up with a written reply. Job done I guess. UK next month coincidentally.

Not sure if I will need to top up the account, I pay a lot of tax, but the year qualification is a strange one. I've been a higher rate tax payer for years, but there is no higher rate pension. That's not fair, but hey hoI. Somebody needs to pay for the benefit cheats, lazy cnuts and immigrants.

Think you might find that UK State Pension is all to do with number of qualifying years of NI payments.

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/how-much-national-insurance-you-pay

If you’re employed

You pay Class 1 National Insurance contributions.

The rates are:

• 12% on your weekly earnings between £149 and £797
  • 2% on any weekly earnings over £797

Voluntary contributions

You can pay voluntary National Insurance contributionsto cover or avoid gaps in your National Insurance record.

You may have gaps from times when you didn’t pay contributions, eg you weren’t working and not claiming benefits.

• Like 1

Alan S

David,

That is a PROPOSAL.

It is NOT the law, and might never be.

As was said in the other thread, there is no point in discussing it until it becomes law.

Also, it is off topic in this thread which is about contacting the Govt dept regarding missing contributions.

musicman666

David,

That is a PROPOSAL.

As was said in the other thread, there is no point in discussing it until it becomes law.

Also, it is off topic in this thread which is about contacting the Govt dept regarding missing contributions.

Can't we have a chat around a table about the general subject of uk pensions.?....

This all seeing eye beaming down on us is disturbing the natural flow of guys just talking.....sure somebody started the thread with a specific question....and that question still stands as we all know ....but this stay on subject issue is one that needs to be applied with some discretion....

Alan S

Uk (State) pensions is a complex subject.

As one example, among several friends who receive a pension, no two of us gets the same amount.

Quite what will happen in the future is, at present, anybodys guess.

Even knowing right now what one is forecast to get in the future, could well be far different from what one gets when the time comes.

Having said that, I am not averse to discussion related to the OP question, but to spread it too wide is meangless and to add in a proposal that might (or might not) ge put before parliament, is pointless.

I suggest sticking to the situation NOW, with the caveat that things may well change in the future.

When the proposal is (or isnt)  passed into law, then we can discuss it based upon facts, not supposition.

Durham

Its very simple to get the facts to your UK State pension as it stands TODAY, contact The UK state pension either by email or telephone but ensure you have your NI number, whether you call or email you will be sent by post all the details and facts which apply to YOU under current UK legislation.

trthebees

I'd think that most UK expats know about the existing law where, while living in many overseas countries,  their pension is fixed at the rate it's first taken at, and not increased annually as it is for UK residents.

There has been continual campaigning on this issue, and I believe it has even been judicially reviewed, but the situation remains unchanged in favour of the government.

My point is that once such proposals as the current intention to reduce foreign spouse's pension benefits become law, the matter will be regarded as having undergone review and debate and enacted by approving majority, and be subsequently very difficult to get changed.

Ok, it needs a different thread, and I missed seeing the thread that was closed. But we should be aware of such proposals as they take shape, perhaps write to MPs at the scoping stage, and try to protect our interests. It will be too late once it is enacted into law, and some broad-brush law designed to prevent abuse of the system takes away the benefits of many genuine families.

Durham

I'd think that most UK expats know about the existing law where, while living in many overseas countries,  their pension is fixed at the rate it's first taken at, and not increased annually as it is for UK residents.

UK state pension is increased each year for ex pats residing in the Philippines, same increase each year as those living in the UK

Skywalker

UK state pension is increased each year for ex pats residing in the Philippines, same increase each year as those living in the UK

Yes they do, but ex-pats living in Thailand (for instance) have frozen pensions, and they probably think that it would be more of a priority for their pensions to be unfrozen, than for a filipino spouse (who may never been to the UK) to receive UK tax payers cash.

Just a thought!

Edited by Skywalker

David_LivinginTalisay

David,

That is a PROPOSAL.

Alan,

First off the Title of this Thread is "Another Question on the UK Pension"  it does not specifically state it is a Thread dealing only with 'Missing Contributions', does it?

How will you know how many Contributions you are missing, since currently it is 30 x Qualitying Years (but there are proposals to increase it to 35 Years, but was originally 44 Years - which is still the required number of years to be entitled to Berievement entitlement, apparently).

Currently, filling in the On-Line Pension Calculator, it says I am entitled to a Full Pension.  

Strange, since a previous Forcast (when it was 44 x Qualifying Years required) said I would only get 60% of a Full Pension.   I thought I only had 27 or 28 Qualifying Years of Contributions, so I am not sure how/why that on-line Calculation says  28 Years (+ working full time, from age 16 - MOD Apprenticeship), entitles Full Pension?

The other part of UK Pension I posted about, as another Question on UK Pension, was that of retirment age

or State Pension Age  (SPA).

This in NOT dependant on the proposed changes to flat rate Pension Scheme.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_State_Pension 

Under the Pensions Act 2007, the SPA for both men and women will be raised to 67 between 2034 and 2036, and to 68 between 2044 and 2046.      

The Pensions Act 2011 raised the SPA to 66 for both men and women by 6 October 2020

As you can see, it is existing legistature that has increased SPA from 65 to 66  and will increase it again to 67 (between 2034 and 2036) and again to 68 (from 2044 to 2046).

• Like 1

David_LivinginTalisay

David,

That is a PROPOSAL.

Alan Stepney,

You used to be a Member of the Yahoo Group Cebu_BritClub but last Post from you there was back in 2009!

william harry plant is a Cebu_BritClub Member who is in the UK and doing a sterling job of writing to PM's and getting petition together to FIGHT these proposed ammendments to try and make sure they DONT become Law.

But if you decided to leave the BritClub in 2009 sometime, then you wont know about that presumably?

I suggest any Brit Member of this Forum who is aged say 58 or younger, has 30 x Qualifying Years of NI Contributions (and currently entitled to Full UK Pension at age 66 or later (used to be 65 and used to be 44 Years of NI Contributions) and has a Filipina Wife who does not have a British Passport (but would have received a Pension, 60% of her British husband's), ought to be discussing it in the UK Press, on MP's Facebook Blogs, signing Petitions.

Don't think it will do any good, take a look at this Message Post to the Cebu_BritClub by Harry:-

SUBMISSION NOW PUBLISHED! Re: Pensions Bill.... Update

Thanks, David for finding that.

However, I think the plaudits should rightly go to all those of you who stuck your

heads above the parapet, bared your souls, and made the time and effort

to express your feelings and put cases so eloquently!!

Each of you contributed enormously and, as a group, made a compelling case!
All I did was put it all together.
Thanks also to all who added their names in support.

I now intend to send the link (which David kindly provides below)

to my MP so that she can see that we are serious in our intentions!

I am advised by the Scrutiny Unit that it is now OK to circulate this,

since it has already been considered by the Committee and does, in

effect, now form part of the Bill.

I think it would be a good idea, especially for those of you who have written to your MP's etc, to do likewise.
Just a short memo to the effect:-
...............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Dear ?? ?? MP,
Re; Pensions Bill 2013-14. Proposal to terminate Spouse Pensions for overseas residents.

Further

to my email of ??July 2013, please be advised that my (Case

History/Comments/Name)  was used as part of a Submission to the Public

Bills Committee and was published as Written Evidence to the Bill today.

For your information, you can study this Submission under the following link:-

We wish to impress on the government that it is vital that reform of the UK pension system is fair and does not unduly punish certain groups or individuals, such as ourselves. Such reforms need to undergo a full impact assessment to ensure that people, like ourselves, who have planned their pensions on the basis of the old rules, will not be disadvantaged

I again request your support in this important matter.

Yours Sincerely,
??? ???

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

David and All,... I have actually pinched some of the

above wording from an excellent letter of support from my own MP,

Roberta Blackman-Woods, who has already canvassed Iain Duncan Smith, MP,

on our behalf!

REMEMBER,
THE MORE OF US WHO CANVASS, THE MORE IMPACT AND CHANCE WE HAVE.
BUT DO IT PROPERLY, INTELLIGENTLY AND RESPECTFULLY.

Regards,
Harry

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 2:57 PM, david_r_whittall <[email protected]> wrote:

Just read your Report Harry - well done.

Written evidence - William Harry Plant (PB57)

I think we shoud all sing this to Harry-

"For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow...."  

David_LivinginTalisay

Single-tier state pension - Commons Library Standard Note

Published 17 May 2013 | Standard notes SN06525

Amended 22 May 2013

Authors: Djuna Thurley

Topic: Pensions

There are two parts to the UK State Pension: the basic State Pension, which is flat-rate, and the additional State Pension, which is partly earnings-related. The additional State Pension was provided through the State Earnings-Related Pension Scheme (SERPS) between 1978 and 2002 and, from 2002, through the State Second Pension (S2P). Under legislation already in place, S2P is becoming more flat-rate, and less earnings-related, over time.

On 4 April 2011, the Conservative-Liberal Democrat Coalition Government published a consultation paper setting out options for reform of the State Pension, including the option of a single-tier pension, combining the basic State Pension and State Second Pension, set above the level of the Pension Credit standard minimum guarantee. The aim was to “better support people to save for their retirement.” A White Paper published in January 2013, set out the Government’s proposal to introduce a single-tier State Pension for individuals reaching their State Pension age after implementation. The single-tier pension would be a flat-rate
payment set about the basic level of means-tested support (currently, £145.40 pw for a single person) uprated by at least the growth in earnings. Thirty-five qualifying years (of National Insurance contributions or credits) would be needed for individuals to receive the full amount. Those with fewer than 35 qualifying years would receive a pro-rated amount, subject to them having a minimum number of qualifying years (between seven and ten). Under the single-tier, there would be no special rules for marriage divorce or bereavement, although there would be some transitional protection. On 19 March 2013, the Pensions Minister announced that the single-tier pension would be introduced in April 2016, a year earlier than proposed in the White Paper. The Pensions Bill 2013-14 was introduced in the House of Commons on 9 May 2013.

This note looks at the development of the Government’s proposals for a single-tier State Pension.

The passage of the Bill through Parliament will be covered in – SN 6634 Pensions Bill 2013-14.

The background to reform – including the reforms introduced by the Labour Government - is discussed in more detail in SN 5787 State Pension reform - 2012.

Download the full report
Single-tier state pension (pdf-icon.gif PDF, 55 pages, 611.5 KB)

Explanatory Notes

Documents prepared by the Government to explain the purpose of the Bill.

House Explanatory Notes Date

Bill 006 EN (Explanatory Note to Bill)
| PDF version, 364KB 10.05.2013

Amendment papers

Full list of amendment papers relating to the Bill.
Individual amendment papers will be replaced with consolidated lists
before the amendments are discussed.

House Amendment  .................................................Paper ......................................Date

Public Bill Committee Amendments as at 11 July 2013  PDF version, 145KB ..................11.07.2013

Provisional Notices of Amendments and Added Names as at 9 July 2013 (PDF, 145KB)..10.07.2013

Public Bill Committee Amendments as at 9 July 2013| PDF version, 149KB ....................09.07.2013

Notices of Amendments given on 4 July 2013| PDF version, 96KB ................................05.07.2013

Public Bill Committee Amendments as at 4 July 2013 | PDF version, 152KB ..................04.07.2013

Notices of Amendments given on 2 July 2013 | PDF version, 109KB .............................03.07.2013

Public Bill Committee Amendments as at 2 July 2013 | PDF version, 140KB ..................02.07.2013

Notices of Amendments given on 27 June 2013 | PDF version, 121KB ..........................28.06.2013

Public Bill Committee Amendments as at 27 June 2013| PDF version, 118KB .................27.06.2013

Notices of Amendments given on 25 June 2013 | PDF version, 97KB ............................26.06.2013

Public Bill Committee Amendments as at 25 June 2013 | PDF version, 120KB ...............25.06.2013

sperry

gettin back on topic

i think you can only back date 5 or 6 years, but luckily for you if the max number of years go up to 35 you can then het more

there is a minimum number of years you have to have paid in .... its about 5

its probably the best investment you can make anyhwhere in the world.

at calss 2 you pay about 120 GBP once, and then get £200 GBP a year triple locked (best of 2,5%, prices and earnings) if single tier comes in

even at class 3 its still a no brainer.

only disadvantage is it is backed by the British Government hahahah

as it should go through before the conservtaives lose the next election theres a good chance the single tier pension will become law.

but call HMRC pensions or newcastle.   they all really know their stuff and are extremely pleasant to deal with on the phone.

ignore people here complaining about their income tax. that has nothing whatsoever to do with it

if your in australia it wonr be increased

Edited by sperry

spritsail

i completed the online questionaire asking for the status. Some one from the DWP called me last week on my cell phone here asking when I fully left the UK for good. Seems like something is happening