Sign in to follow this  
Ricbak

Another question on the UK pension

Ricbak

On the last thread that was closed I think Skyman posted a link to a site where it said you could pay back missing contributions.

I was interested to read this because I worked in the UK from aged 16 until I was 26 yrs  and headed off to Australia.

In Australia to collect our pension we have to be resident for 2 years before the age we can claim ( 67 in my case) or 2 years after and then we are still not allowed to leave Australia for more than 3 months at a time. Whereas a UK pension can be collected in the Philippines without the same requirement.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/why-pay-voluntary-contributions

So I did some calculations presuming I had 22 years of unpaid contributions at a rate of 2.70 pound a week and ended up with the figure of 3088 pounds.

This seems to me a fairly reasonable amount to pay to get a UK aged pension

What do others think? Or would 3088 pounds paid in to my Superannuation in Australia yield more by the age of 67 ( for me 11 years)

Or have I made some enormous mistake in calculation?

Ricbak

SkyMan

On the last thread that was closed I think Skyman posted a link to a site where it said you could pay back missing contributions.

Wasn't me, I'm a kano.  Maybe SkyWalker?

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

Durham

You could ask for a pension forecast and they usually tell you regarding paying contributions to top up your UK state pension or you can call them, they are very efficient on the telephone.

Skywalker

Yes it was me!  This is the web site - https://www.gov.uk/browse/working/state-pension

You can make back payments to bring your account up to date, and there is an online form you can fill in to get your account details - you will need your National Insurance number.

GoHuk

The rules used to be that you could only pay arrears for the last six years.  I can find no mention of that limitation in the current publications so I guess this benefits the OP.

Thelandofku-an!

The rules used to be that you could only pay arrears for the last six years.  I can find no mention of that limitation in the current publications so I guess this benefits the OP.

I think that changed in the  post you made about reductions?

udonthani

if you have 10 years of contributions out of the 30 you need to get a full state pension, you get 33% of it. If you have 18 years, you get 60%, and so on.

spritsail

Doesn't it also depend on the type of contributions?  i.e if you pay class 1 contribution, - employee then it counts as a much higher rate than if you have paid class 2- self employed or class 3 - voluntary contributions. I believe I was told that by the Pensions Dept. in Newcastle many moons ago, thats why filling in the form on the link is important.

• Like 1

musicman666

Yes it was me! This is the web site - https://www.gov.uk/browse/working/state-pension

You can make back payments to bring your account up to date, and there is an online form you can fill in to get your account details - you will need your National Insurance number.

I tried this but nothing came of it ...there is no confirmation that they will email you or anything....

But interestingly enough I got tons of uk spam about pensions and health stuff after I posted my email on that site....

Maybe I'll try again.

trthebees

This is a live thread about the UK NI system, so can probably take a variation on the theme. 

See following post.

Alan S

This is a live thread about the UK NI system, so can probably take a variation on the theme. 

No, it cant.

There was a thread about the suggested changes, which was closed, as the detail is not yet known..

musicman666

Any Brit out there who has got a reply from the top up enquiry page after submitting their ni number....I would like to know what happened when they did that?

David_LivinginTalisay

No, it cant.

There was a thread about the suggested changes, which was closed, as the detail is not yet known..

I recently posted this to my Cebu_BritClub Yahoo Group:-

From reading this information on the Changes to the State Pension on the Gov.UK website ,

it looks like my Retirement Age stays @  Age 66 up from what it was originally 65, at previous changes to UK Pension Retirement Age 

Seems it will affect those, born after 6 April 1960 - 5 April 1961 with Retirement Age beteen 66 and 67.  

For those born after 6th April 1961, it will become RetiringAge 67.

https://www.gov.uk/changes-state-pension

Changes to the State Pension

The government has proposed to introduce a flat rate (single-tier) State Pension from April 2016 and raise the State Pension age from 66 to 67 gradually between 2026 and 2028.

Parliament will have to agree any changes to the State Pension before they become law.

Flat rate State Pension

The government has proposed that the new flat rate (single-tier) pension will be introduced from April 2016.

Current pensioners and everyone reaching State Pension age before the introduction of the single-tier pension will continue to receive their State Pension in line with existing rules.

Read more information about the single tier pension on the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) website.

Changes to the State Pension age

The government has proposed that:

• people born between 6 April 1960 and 5 March 1961 will reach State Pension age between 66 and 67
  • people born on or after 6 March 1961 will reach State Pension age when they're 67 or older

This change hasn't been approved by Parliament yet.

Current law

Under the current law State Pension age will already increase to:

• 67 between 2034 and 2036
  • 68 between 2044 and 2046

•  

Thelandofku-an!

If they don't mess things up I'll squeak in at 65, phew!

Skywalker

I filled out the online form, they also required my NI number. The following day I got a confirmation email explaining that they would follow up with a written reply. Job done I guess. UK next month coincidentally.

Not sure if I will need to top up the account, I pay a lot of tax, but the year qualification is a strange one. I've been a higher rate tax payer for years, but there is no higher rate pension. That's not fair, but hey ho. Somebody needs to pay for the benefit cheats, lazy cnuts and immigrants.

• Like 2