Price of owning a home in Cebu After it's paid for.

tomaw

We (My Filipina wife and I) plan on buying a lot in a subdivision and building a house somewhere near Cebu or Cebu Province. Other than taxes, association fees and utilities what other regular expenses might we expect once the house is paid off?

Edited by tomaw
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tomaw

• smokey

• Dolsos

• throttleplate

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

. It will be a brand new house so maintence shouldn't be needed for a long time.                      

Interesting that you should feel that because I point out that owning land is very fraught with potential minefields, that I am complaining.  It was merely an observation, that hopefully would help ot

Thats my point.  Your friend is never going to change the locals all he's going to do is be miserable.  He can fix the problem on his own without any need to confront anyone else but chooses not to.  

CARHARTTBOB

NEED TO TAKE A DRIVE TO BARILI AND GO TO GILOCTOG.  NICE PROPERTY -AT LEAST THREE HOMES FOR SALE.  TWO HOMES, THE OWNERS PASSED AND THE OTHER I BELIEVE IS GOING BACK TO STATES.  ALOT OF THE  PEOPLE WHO RELOCATE TO PHILIPPINES WANR A HASSLE FREE TURN AROUND, AND IT CAN HAPPEN.

• Like 1
toshi

Yaya?

Extra large food bills for family

Maintenance

Insurance

Edited by toshi
smokey

Yaya?

Maintenance

Insurance

tomaw

Yaya?

Maintenance

Insurance

Yaya, food and other bills are a whole different topic. I'm only talking about the house here. It will be a brand new house so maintence shouldn't be needed for a long time. I didn't think about insurance. I'm glad you mentioned that. Thanks.

Edited by tomaw
smokey

. It will be a brand new house so maintence shouldn't be needed for a long time. :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo: 

• Like 5
Dolsos

. It will be a brand new house so maintence shouldn't be needed for a long time. :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo: 

I sense you're trying to tell us something but I'm not sure...

• Like 1
toshi

Tomaw, ur a long term member i thought u knew better, maintenance is a recurring thing.... even in new houses..

make sure you don't pay the contractor the last 10-20% 3-6 months AFTER the house is done...once u pay all...u wont see him again...

buying from a ''plan house'' it is going to be even less quality....

SkyMan

There is property tax but it's not much.

Dolsos

Speaking of which, how expensive our association dues?  how are they calculated?  Everyone pays the same, per sqm of lot, of house,, house value?

I'm sure they vary by subdivision but I always hear them mentioned and never seen any values so hard to get an idea.

tokyoman

Cost of adding security (fences, alarms, dogs, etc) especially if you piss a local off

throttleplate

how much you willing to Pay your neighbors or new squators to Not play their karaoke machine at nite or early in the morning? A friend of mine has a neighbor across the street from him whom constantly blares his non karaoke gangsta music at nite and it is driving him crazy and he has complained to the association and the guards show up  at the music mans home and he turned the music down not off and the next few days and still now the guy plays his music and my friend is thankfully only renting and looking to get out of this so called quite security gated subdivision that doesn't allow roosters or chickes but yet there the birds are in peoples yards and dogs on a leash rule is not enforced and dogs get into his garbage so he has started poisoning them along with the feral cats on the loose.

So the fees he pays to have peace and quite and security go for naught,he would be better off paying his neighbor to not play the music,i am sure a reasonable fee could be agreed upon and even have a contract  drawn up between him and music man and then I suppose all the neighbors would start playing loud music so unless my friend is a billionaire he should move on.

• Like 1
Skywalker

Another perfectly viable reason to keep renting.  So, the extra price you might have to pay is the reality that your neighbours could change at anytime, and you may find your home next to a neighbour from HELL.

Maintenance costs are ongoing, regardless of the properties age, there is always something that needs replacing/upgrading/painting etc.

Another big one - how do you know for 100% certainty that you even own the land the house is on?  (Off course you don't anyway, it will be owned by your wife in any case.)  But even sub-division land can be dodgy so I have been told.

When you've lived here a while you will hear the stories about 'securely titled land' that just isn't!  There is no adverse possession here, and land that might have been sold a dozen times can be claimed by 'influential people' particularly if the property has obviously been financed by a foreigner.  I've seen this happen many times in the region.  Even my pinoy friends can't answer this one, they just say it's a gamble for many.

• Like 2
tomaw

Tomaw, ur a long term member i thought u knew better, maintenance is a recurring thing.... even in new houses..

make sure you don't pay the contractor the last 10-20% 3-6 months AFTER the house is done...once u pay all...u wont see him again...

buying from a ''plan house'' it is going to be even less quality....

........ My dad bought his house in 1950 . When he passed away we sold it in 2008. It got additions and a re-model in the 1960s. Rarely did it need much but a few pluming problems in 50+ years. I agree with you on not paying everything to the contractor till the job's done. Also want to get a reputable contrctor, architect and engineer in the first place. I have no idea what you mean by 'plan house'.
Knowdafish

Another perfectly viable reason to keep renting.  So, the extra price you might have to pay is the reality that your neighbours could change at anytime, and you may find your home next to a neighbour from HELL.

Maintenance costs are ongoing, regardless of the properties age, there is always something that needs replacing/upgrading/painting etc.

Another big one - how do you know for 100% certainty that you even own the land the house is on?  (Off course you don't anyway, it will be owned by your wife in any case.)  But even sub-division land can be dodgy so I have been told.

When you've lived here a while you will hear the stories about 'securely titled land' that just isn't!  There is no adverse possession here, and land that might have been sold a dozen times can be claimed by 'influential people' particularly if the property has obviously been financed by a foreigner.  I've seen this happen many times in the region.  Even my pinoy friends can't answer this one, they just say it's a gamble for many.

Just buy readily available title insurance.

:ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO: