Using a Bicycle - convenient, useful. or not worth the bother?

David_LivinginTalisay

Guy60417

It truly depends on where you live and what you need to do on it. In the city i wouldn't risk my life trying to converge through traffic and the heat (even though I easily manage on a motorbike) But in the province for like a little ride going to the market or sari-sari store that's a little further i love it. But you do have shade their most of the time so the heat doesn't kill you.

That's pretty close to my feeling. I love riding a bike and did a lot of it in the States. But I lived there in a suburban area with relatively light traffic. So I'm not used to riding in heavy traffic, and here in Cebu City, with both heavy traffic and no enforcement of traffic laws, it would be terrifying.

Besides, the streets are in such awful condition, I would think they'd turn a good bike into a wreck in no time

I will say that with a Voucher, it can be bought, in the Philippines, for Php3,499 1367551671343.jpg

That is not a bike, that is made for a clown lol

fixedgear1.jpg

Edited by jme
  • Like 1
David_LivinginTalisay

How many recall these lightweight folding 'kick' scooters back in 2000-2002 era?

unbranded-nebulus-folding-scooter-grossm

I just liked what Clive Sincalir had come up with a lightweight folding bicycle that was extemely compact and just 5Kg.

Nobody claimed it was 'All Terrain' use, but more for urban commuting or getting around the City, rather than walking.  Take London, or Hong Kong or any other City with relatively good Bus/Tube public transport networks, for instance.  When you get off the Bus or Tube, there is usually some walking involved.   

When I worked in London, St John Street, the office was between 3 x Tube Stations.  To get there by bus, meant changing buses and you still ended up with some walking.  Having such a  foldable bike in a rucksack would mean less buses or no buses and no walking to and from the bus stops.  Heck you could unfold it, as soon as you stepped off the train, to make you way to the end of the paltform and leave Waterloo Station, and then straight over Waterloo Bridge.

The beauty being, when you reach where you want to get to, just fold it up, and put it in your rucksack, be it the tube, a bus, or even the elevator to the office.

Hey, if you read the Wikipedia write up, you would know they also developed electric powered 'A-Bike' versions also.

Here are some other folding bicycle designs by others:-

Much heftier Price Tag and 3x weight of the 'A-Bike':-

Hot_selling_popular_portable_folding_bik

Price: US $ 230 - 235 / Set
Brand Name: Vinda
Model Number:

Country/Region: China

Expand Size: 127cm * 45cm * 102.5cm 
Folding size: 77cm * 63.5cm * 30.5cm
Sitting height:67 to 102.5 cm
The net weight: 14.50 KGS
Max load: 85 KGS
Front transmission is Shimano brand BR-IM31
Rear transmission is Shimano brand Nexus 3speed
The rear brake is Shimano brand roller break
The frame material: Aluminum Alloy 6061

http://sell.lulusoso.com/selling-leads/1613606/Hot-selling-popular-portable-folding-bike-folding-scooter.html

scooter.png

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/01/roboscooter-tin/

46771_160909_F.jpg

46775_160927_F.jpg

http://www.crazysales.com.au/portable-adjustable-electric-fold-out-scooter-with-seat-pink.html

293349965156059201_4ac10bbe4bb4.jpgMoveo Folding Electric Scooter

304802830634458181_5907ca41a8be.jpgVoltitude V1 Foldable Electric Bike   $6,500 USD
David_LivinginTalisay

1. Bicycle sharing system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_sharing_system‎
    The Hangzhou Public Bicycle programme in China is the largest bicycle sharing ....E-bikes the range of the bikes and make cities with more difficult ... In some Germancities the national rail company offers a bike rental service called Call a Bike...Another advantage of bike-sharing systems is that the smart-cards allow the ...

2. Vélib' - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vélib'‎
    7,000 bicycles were initially introduced to the city, distributed among 750 ... its kind in the world, surpassed only by the Hangzhou Public Bicycle program in China... With a subscription, bike rental is free for the first half hour of every individual ... A credit cardor debit card with PIN is required to sign up for the program and to ...

800px-Velibvelo1.jpg

3. [PDF] Hangzhou, China: The world's largest bike sharing ... - EcoMobility
    www.ecomobility.org/.../Case_stories_EcoMobility_Hangzhau_PDF_pri...‎
    card in conjunction with the city's bus system and parking. ... A deposit of 200Chinese yuan (22€) is then deducted from the card and the rental period has begun. To... e n a rb e it (G. IZ. ) A growing bike sharing community. In May 2008 ...

800px-Hangzhou_bike_sharing_station.jpg

A growing bike sharing community
    In May 2008, Hangzhou had 61 bike sharing stations with 2,800 bicycles. One year later, there were 640 stations with  16,000 bicycles. At the end of 2009, there were 2,000 stations with 50,000 bicycles and the system has since expanded to 2,200 stations with 60,600 bicycles. A station can now be found every 100 meters – almost 3.6 bike stands per km2. 
     Since its opening, the daily use per bicycle has increased from less than one ride to five rides.

There are approximately 240,000 daily usages of the system, with the highest single day usage being 320,000 rides. 

Bicycle trips in Hangzhou account for 43% of all trips, and the city’s bike sharing system is partly to credit for that. Daily bike sharing trips cover about 1,123,200 km. An automobile covering the same distance would produce more than 200,000 kg of CO2 emissions. Given these figures, and the goal of reaching 175,000 public bikes by 2020, there is potential for 
    further greenhouse gas emission reductions.They have these racks of rentable bicycles in many parts of Mianyang City, Sichuan.  One uses a Smart Card (perhaps the same as used for e-payment on the Buses?) to hire them with Deposit.  

They have built in combination code locks, so you can secure them elsewhere, when not returning to another Secure Storage Rack.

As it is all in Chinese, I have not figured out how it works and how to use such system.

Mianyang City itself. is flat, no hills in the main city center itself, and good roads and pavements to ride on, and well as walkways along the rivers.

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay
  • Like 1
KennyF

How many recall these lightweight folding 'kick' scooters back in 2000-2002 era? unbranded-nebulus-folding-scooter-grossm

The use, or at least used to, use these scooters in the larger shopping centers in Bangkok for staff to get around.

KonGC

dc3driver

The use, or at least used to, use these scooters in the larger shopping centers in Bangkok for staff to get around.

KonGC

I shipped 2 Razor scooters from the US, they look just like these. My little girls love 'em. Theyy go 4 times faster than I would dare to.

The Hangzhou Public Bicycle programme in China is the largest bicycle sharing ....E-bikes the range of the bikes and make cities with more difficult ... In some Germancities the national rail company offers a bike rental service called Call a Bike...Another advantage of bike-sharing systems is that the smart-cards allow the ...

2. Vélib' - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vélib'‎
    7,000 bicycles were initially introduced to the city, distributed among 750 ... its kind in the world, surpassed only by the Hangzhou Public Bicycle program in China... With a subscription, bike rental is free for the first half hour of every individual ... A credit cardor debit card with PIN is required to sign up for the program and to ...

800px-Velibvelo1.jpg

3. [PDF] Hangzhou, China: The world's largest bike sharing ... - EcoMobility
    www.ecomobility.org/.../Case_stories_EcoMobility_Hangzhau_PDF_pri...‎
    card in conjunction with the city's bus system and parking. ... A deposit of 200Chinese yuan (22€) is then deducted from the card and the rental period has begun. To... e n a rb e it (G. IZ. ) A growing bike sharing community. In May 2008 ...

800px-Hangzhou_bike_sharing_station.jpg

They have built in combination code locks, so you can secure them elsewhere, when not returning to another Secure Storage Rack.

As it is all in Chinese, I have not figured out how it works and how to use such system.

Mianyang City itself. is flat, no hills in the main city center itself, and good roads and pavements to ride on, and well as walkways along the rivers.

that sounds like a great program. I hope Australia does more of this sort of thing in the future especially in Sydney to help with traffic and pollution.

Skywalker

post-12091-0-25537800-1368414059_thumb.jpgThis is the London solution.  But the problem actually, is not the bikes, it's the buses and lorries that run you down and kill you.

David_LivinginTalisay

attachicon.gif220px-BorisBikes.jpgThis is the London solution.  But the problem actually, is not the bikes, it's the buses and lorries that run you down and kill you.

Anyone who followed the Wikipedia Link that I posted in my reply #20,  would already know about the 'Boris Bike'.  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

The actual name is  as Barclays Cycle Hire (BCH), but due to the current mayor Boris Johnson's publicity of the system the bikes have become known as 'Boris Bikes'.  Some complain about these strong and robust bicycles, are too heavy and unwieldy, at 23kg!

United Kingdom [edit]

220px-Barclayscyclehire.jpg
magnify-clip.png
Barclays Cycle Hire, London, UK started in 2010

Following the failure of the University of Portsmouth's Bikeabout programme in 1998, the introduction of new bicycle share systems proceeded more slowly in the United Kingdom than in the rest of Europe. Outside of London (see below), the largest is the hire-a-bike operation in Blackpool, operated by Hourbike,[65] with 60 stations and 500 bikes in the scheme. This scheme uses both RFID membership cards and instant point of sale memberships to cater for both residential users and the very many visitors that go to the resort every year. Hourbike also has a scheme in Dumfries, Scotland, and several others under development.

Some bike-sharing schemes now use mobile phones to reserve or sign out bikes. In the UK,OYBike is delivered small-scale operations at 2 Universities, 3 Business Parks, 3 London Boroughs, and a private hotel chain in London until 2011. Like Munich's Call-a-Bike, OYBike used mobile phone technology to log use and charge for hires and can set up hire points in as little as 10 minutes. Many of the business users can reclaim the cost of leasing bikes and hire points as part of a workplace cycling scheme or green travel plan. Research also reveals that for many major London railway stations an unknown number of the bikes parked are used only a couple of times per week, while the option of replacing these with publicly shared (hire) bikes has rarely been considered by UK rail administrators.

London mayor Ken Livingstone promised that an extensive bicycle sharing system modelled on the Paris Vélib' system would be introduced in London during his final term in office.[66] The system is sponsored by Barclays Bank, and known as Barclays Cycle Hire(BCH). BCH is located mainly within the central zone, roughly bounded by the 'Zone 1' area of the Transport for London zoning system, and will comprise 400 docking stations when complete, at roughly 300 metre intervals.[67] BCH initial planning and implementation costs are expected to total more than £140 million over the first six years of the project, exclusive of operating costs. The program commenced operations on 30 June 2010. BCH has received some criticism for its use of commercial advertising and use of communal docking stations, as well as erroneous charges, bicycle and docking station issues, and lack of coverage for the suburbs.[68][69][70][71][72][73] Some users have also found the bikes too heavy and unwieldy, at 23 kilograms (51 lb).[74][75] Due to the current mayor Boris Johnson's publicity of the system the bikes have become know as 'Boris Bikes' despite their sponsored name.

ThomsonJr

Those wheels on the one you showed are too a bit too small, for most of us big boys, this explains why the price is so low.

that sounds like a great program. I hope Australia does more of this sort of thing in the future especially in Sydney to help with traffic and pollution.

Melbourne does have a program . around the central city and uni areas