buying shares/stocks

POTATOMAN

can anyone recommend a good,  easy to use, preferably online brokerage service for buying philippine shares

certifiedfordtec

I use Ameritrade and  asked about buying a Philippine ETF and said that it was listed and was no trouble. I didn't ask about individual stocks though. So far have been happy with them.

Might not be the real deal,
But the philippine stock exchange has a 'game' where you can play around investing with fake money

http://www.pse.ph/html/STG/

Worth the try to get a feel for the local market

Brucewayne

https://us.etrade.com/investing-trading/stocks?SC=S104001&ch_id=P&s_id=GOOG&c_id=STTR&o_id=60DAY+500&gclid=CJSG8PvpgrcCFQZdpgodbUkAQQ

I'm sorry, you can call me overly cautious, but with nearly all of the bubbles nearly ready to burst, I would stay away from investing in the Philippines.

Ayala land holdings is especially over invested in properties and I think the giant has finally bought more than they can sell or develop as income properties.

10 year old condos are already showing signs of degeneration and instead of being repaired, more shoddily built condos are being built.

Investments in the new condos has reached the 3 trillion dollar mark and the money has all but stopped coming in.

All 14 U.S. banks have reportedly closed in the last year in the Philippines due to unfair business bias on the part of Philippine banks and government controls.

Malls are opening at an alarming rate and many of the businesses in them are shutting down due to lack of foot traffic and/or lack of serious shoppers.

I am afraid the big collapse is very near for the economy here and if things hold out until 2016, I will be very surprised.

The U.S., on the other hand is growing in different directions and it looks like a bright future for most investors there, I am keeping my money in the U.S. where it has been fairly safe for 20 plus years and only suffered a minor setback from 2008 until midway into 2010.

Edited by Brucewayne
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

OP will have some difficulty opening an Ameritrade account as he is not a US citizen or PR... And you won't be able to trade PSE listed stocks with Ameritrade online.

The answer to your question somewhat depends on how heavy you want to invest. For 'playing around' in the local market just go to a local broker with online trading capabilities.  I have accounts at Citiseconline and philstocks. I use Citiseconline as my primary broker and have most of my activity there...

ellenbrook2001

https://us.etrade.com/investing-trading/stocks?SC=S104001&ch_id=P&s_id=GOOG&c_id=STTR&o_id=60DAY+500&gclid=CJSG8PvpgrcCFQZdpgodbUkAQQ

I'm sorry, you can call me overly cautious, but with nearly all of the bubbles nearly ready to burst, I would stay away from investing in the Philippines.

Ayala land holdings is especially over invested in properties and I think the giant has finally bought more than they can sell or develop as income properties.

10 year old condos are already showing signs of degeneration and instead of being repaired, more shoddily built condos are being built.

Investments in the new condos has reached the 3 trillion dollar mark and the money has all but stopped coming in.

All 14 U.S. banks have reportedly closed in the last year in the Philippines due to unfair business bias on the part of Philippine banks and government controls.

Malls are opening at an alarming rate and many of the businesses in them are shutting down due to lack of foot traffic and/or lack of serious shoppers.

I am afraid the big collapse is very near for the economy here and if things hold out until 2016, I will be very surprised.

The U.S., on the other hand is growing in different directions and it looks like a bright future for most investors there, I am keeping my money in the U.S. where it has been fairly safe for 20 plus years and only suffered a minor setback from 2008 until midway into 2010.

will never ever buy share in the PHILIPPINES ??????sucide specialy with the unstable market very risky unless you want your money sit for 5 years

POTATOMAN

CAN DO IT WITH BPI . 

afmayer

Not to argue your opinion... after all, a crystal ball is essential equipment for most of us when it comes to investing. The below mentioned article (see link) sees the Philippines as an attractive investing platform because of its stocks taking off, new investment rating of BBB (in a country that never even had a credit rating before), and its shielding from the slowdown in China.

https://news.fidelity.com/news/article.jhtml?guid=/FidelityNewsPage/pages/worlds-top-stock-markets-1&topic=investing-stocks

As far as American investments, there are many well informed concerns that believe the worst is yet to come as far as investing in America. Google "Aftershock - David Wiedemer" or "The Real Crash - Peter Schiff" for quite a different perspective on investing in America. I tend to agree with David Wiedemer's perspective because of his track record and credentials.

Also...

Why are billionaires "in the know" hastily dumping stocks?

http://www.moneynews.com/Outbrain/billionaires-dump-economist-stock/2012/08/29/id/450265?PROMO_CODE=FE8A-1

Brucewayne

Not to argue your opinion... after all, a crystal ball is essential equipment for most of us when it comes to investing. The below mentioned article (see link) sees the Philippines as an attractive investing platform because of its stocks taking off, new investment rating of BBB (in a country that never even had a credit rating before), and its shielding from the slowdown in China.

https://news.fidelity.com/news/article.jhtml?guid=/FidelityNewsPage/pages/worlds-top-stock-markets-1&topic=investing-stocks

As far as American investments, there are many well informed concerns that believe the worst is yet to come as far as investing in America. Google "Aftershock - David Wiedemer" or "The Real Crash - Peter Schiff" for quite a different perspective on investing in America. I tend to agree with David Wiedemer's perspective because of his track record and credentials.

Also...

Why are billionaires "in the know" hastily dumping stocks?

http://www.moneynews.com/Outbrain/billionaires-dump-economist-stock/2012/08/29/id/450265?PROMO_CODE=FE8A-1

Why has the U.S. stock market hit a new milestone in growth and gone up to the next one if so many are supposedly dumping their stocks?

There are a lot of alarmists out there, but without them, there probably would be a problem.

I just keep plugging along and hoping things level out soon, but without dropping.

As they say, what goes up must go down and that can be true of the stock market as well.

As far as the Philippine market goes, if you follow them at all you will see that they are very unstable and pop up and down a lot.

For one thing, they aren't large enough to be playing with the big boys yet, but since they have been paying their bills lately, they have been offered an opportunity.

I don't think the Philippines will do very well in the open market as there is so much corruption that the Peso cannot stabilize, making the entire economy unstable and that includes the stock market in the Philippines.

Check this link for further reference, it covers the sentiment of most investors.

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/59160-the-world-has-a-stake-in-ensuring-the-us%E2%80%99-continuing-success/

Edited by Brucewayne
afmayer

As I said, I wasn't arguing your position... only offering a different perspective.

Why has the U.S. stock market hit a new milestone in growth and gone up to the next one if so many are supposedly dumping their stocks?

Not "supposedly". Did you follow the link I inserted that mentions the fact that Warren Buffett, George Soros and John Paulson have been dumping their American stocks like hot potatoes? If you do some research, you will find that these guys are rarely wrong about when to sell/buy. Donald Trump (the opposite of an alarmist) recently said that America “is teetering on the edge of financial ruin.”

Please explain what you mean by "milestone in growth". Could what you call "growth" be the Federal Reserve lowering interest rates to funnel money into the housing market in an attempt to get the economy going? Or perhaps the fact that lower interest rates have made bonds seem "overpriced" to investors and is primarily what's responsible for driving the rally in the equity market?

There are a lot of alarmists out there, but without them, there probably would be a problem.

I am not sure that I would call David Wiedemer an "Alarmist" as his predictions/track record would certainly preclude that label. Even Money Magazine (as conventional a finance rag as they come) has been touting his books because of his credentials and track record. Did you read "Aftershock"? Might be a good read for you.

I just keep plugging along and hoping things level out soon, but without dropping.

So do I. But I am starting to hedge by moving some capital out of equities and into gold (physical - what I can put in my safe deposit box or ETF's),  dump anything even close to resembling "long term", buy short currency ETF's (like UDN), and buy foreign currency funds (especially Asian).

As they say, what goes up must go down and that can be true of the stock market as well.

As far as the Philippine market goes, if you follow them at all you will see that they are very unstable and pop up and down a lot.

For one thing, they aren't large enough to be playing with the big boys yet, but since they have been paying their bills lately, they have been offered an opportunity.

I don't think the Philippines will do very well in the open market as there is so much corruption that the Peso cannot stabilize, making the entire economy unstable and that includes the stock market in the Philippines.

Perhaps you are right... but many analysts are high on the Peso right now. And... why has the Philippines market recently grown at such a phenomenal rate? 20% just this year. The iShares MSCI Philippines Investable Market Index ETF 'EPHE' has raked in more than $180 million this year, and is up almost 20%. That ETF alone would have doubled your money since inception a few years ago. Perhaps you should read this Philippines analysis from NASDAQ...

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/another-rally-for-the-philippines-etf-ephe-etf-news-and-commentary-cm244083

Check this link for further reference, it covers the sentiment of most investors.

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/59160-the-world-has-a-stake-in-ensuring-the-us%E2%80%99-continuing-success/

The only way to argue sentiment is with ROI.

Brucewayne

Actually, intuition is the best way to judge and following the actual, rather than predicted course is the safest way I know when it comes to protecting your investment.

Think about it, those guys have a plan and if you watch them, they all seem to have a record of alarming investors into dumping shares on the market, then once the price has been driven down, they swoop in and buy all they can at a very reduced price.

It does affect the shareholders temporarily, but if you hang on to the stocks which were dumped by the alarmists, things will go up for you once those guys buy back in.

The market is doing well in spite of these guys because those who watch them are doing the same tactic, or ignoring the tactic (which is what I do, ignore).

Associated Press

NEW YORK

— The Dow Jones industrial average punched through another milestone

Tuesday, closing above 15,000 for the first time just two months after

recovering the last of its losses from the 2008 financial crisis.

Good

economic reports, strong corporate earnings and fresh support from

central banks helped ease investor concerns about another economic

slowdown. Many had been on the lookout for signs that a spring swoon

would derail the rally, as happened in each of the past three years.

Instead, the Dow continued its epic ascent of 2013, which has seen it climb 1,952 points — almost 15 percent — since Jan. 1.

“The

thing that’s been driving stocks is rising confidence,” said James

Paulsen, chief investment strategist at Wells Capital Management.

“Economic growth, job creation and the housing market have been better

than expected.”

The

Dow closed at 15,056.20, up 87.31 points, or 0.6 percent. The Standard

& Poor’s 500 index added 8.46 points to a record 1,625.96, a gain of

0.5 percent. It has jumped 199 points this year, or 14 percent.

The

record close extends the stock market’s comeback from the depths of the

financial crisis. Both indexes reached all-time highs earlier this

year, then kept rising, largely driven by optimism that the U.S. economy

will keep gaining strength.

“We

don’t think people are giving enough credit to the strength of the

economy,” said Ryan Detrick, a senior technical strategist at

Schaeffer’s Investment Research. “We still like the market.”

Detrick

said he was particularly encouraged by the resurgence in smaller

stocks, which suggested a broad recovery beyond larger companies. The

Russell 2000 index gained eight points to close at 967.82. It has risen

14 percent this year.

The

S&P has climbed higher for six straight months — the longest

stretch of gains since a seven-month run that started in March 2009,

when the market hit a financial crisis low, and ended in October 2009.

All 10 industries in the S&P 500 have joined in the rally. Health-care companies have led the way, up 19 percent.

http://www.indystar.com/viewart/20130507/BUSINESS/305070078/New-stock-market-milestone-Dow-15-000

Edited by Brucewayne
blaze pontaine

stocks seem quite popular these days. I just had a chatmate text me this:

amh blaize i just wanna ask something hehehe i know you what
is stock market please do give me ideas what is that about?

I want make bzniz there

afmayer

Actually, intuition is the best way to judge and following the actual, rather than predicted course is the safest way I know when it comes to protecting your investment. Think about it, those guys have a plan and if you watch them, they all seem to have a record of alarming investors into dumping shares on the market, then once the price has been driven down, they swoop in and buy all they can at a very reduced price. It does affect the shareholders temporarily, but if you hang on to the stocks which were dumped by the alarmists, things will go up for you once those guys buy back in. The market is doing well in spite of these guys because those who watch them are doing the same tactic, or ignoring the tactic (which is what I do, ignore).

Don't you think your conspiracy (if it existed) would be noticed by those much brighter than us (PhD's in Economics, Statisticians, etc) and used to make a fortune? Or... perhaps they are part of the conspiracy also?

Brucewayne

Don't you think your conspiracy (if it existed) would be noticed by those much brighter than us (PhD's in Economics, Statisticians, etc) and used to make a fortune? Or... perhaps they are part of the conspiracy also?

It is duly noted.

Some believe one group and some believe the other.

I choose to believe the other.

It may be a conspiracy, but if you look deep enough, you will see the pattern as so many before you have.

With all the trillions of dollars in and being pulled out of the market, why didn't the market go down as the big guys hoped it would?

Because there is more money in the market which is invested by middle class investors who are willing to remain where they are, rather than running because some billionaire wants everyone to do as he wills.

You don't really think that a rich guy is going to actually let you know how he makes his money do you?

I mean honestly, if everyone knew his secrets, he probably wouldn't be rich now would he?

I don't claim to know his secrets, but I also refuse to be led like a sheep by those who are promoting the rich fellows as I know that a quail always leads a predator away from her nest, not toward it.

Edited by Brucewayne
Ozepete

The only useful facts available when deciding where and what to invest are history and the usual indicators like PE ratio etc. Investment based on sentiment or prejudice is doomed to fail. Sentiment towards investing in one's home country even though it is nearly a basket case, and prejudice towards a developing country with a recent history of steady gains is risky and poorly based.

Sadly Europe and the USA are stuffed, get over it and move on. The new world is at our feet / door step, the Asia / Pacific region with money to be made and the Philippines is no exception. 

I far prefer investing in this region than the west, and also like gold's potential.