Sign in to follow this  
Ozepete

Need some extra income?

johnormoc

Is there a such thing as mutual funds here?

http://www.sunlife.com.ph/philippines/Products+and+Services/Mutual+funds/Sun+Life+Prosperity+Funds?vgnLocale=en_CA

Set my wife up with a fund with these guys mainly coz they were the only reputable company providing this type of financial service/planning in Ormoc. We have other safety nets in place to provide for her future if something should happen to me but I wanted something totally in her name that wouldn't require death certificates and lawyers so she'd have easy access to cash if she needed it. In a little under 2 years the fund is up 29%. It's outperformed my own mutual fund/Roth IRA accounts I have with Vanguard.

• Like 1

mikewright

Whereupon, as of 23 May it fell 23%!

Sorry! I relied on Bloomberg!

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/PCOMP:IND

5/22 7385

6/24 5789

7385/5789 = 1.275

What WAS I thinking! It was 28% not %23.

Wanna hear what I can't stand?

Just thought it was funny that right after the OP it fell like a rock- oh, sorry, 'corrected'. Jinx!

Not trying to be pedantic here, but the PSEi didn't fall 28% on that date.  Are you sure you weren't looking at the drop in points for the day, rather than the percentage drop?  One of the worse performances of the PSEi was on Monday 27 May, where the index plunged 171.40 points. But even that only equated to a fall of 2.36%, with the index falling just below the 7,100 mark.  And even after three straight sessions of losses, the index was still up 22.10% on the year to date at that time.

It's currently sitting around the 6,655 mark, a return of over 15% so far this year. 

But as we all know, past performance is no guarantee of future performance, whether in sharemarkets or other endeavours.

Edited by mikewright

mikewright

Now if anyone knows of a better return tell us about it cos it sure ain't happening in Oz where in the same period the ASX has gone from near 7000 points (Late 2007 when the dick heads started ruining the country) to now at about 4600 points, in other-words backwards and down.

Somehow don't think we can blame the Australian Government for the GFC, which caused the massive drop in most share indexes around the world. Many economies are doing much worse than Oz since 2007.  What has been spectacular in Australia has been the rise in bank shares since the GFC. CBA was trading at less than $24, now over $71, ANZ around the $12 mark, now over $28.  Says a lot for our banking and financial systems.

hyaku

Well I guess it beats pigs, sari sari, rice shops etc. I still do money lending with a fair bit of experience in collecting bad debts.

hchoate

Not trying to be pedantic here, but the PSEi didn't fall 28% on that date.  Are you sure you weren't looking at the drop in points for the day, rather than the percentage drop?  One of the worse performances of the PSEi was on Monday 27 May, where the index plunged 171.40 points. But even that only equated to a fall of 2.36%, with the index falling just below the 7,100 mark.  And even after three straight sessions of losses, the index was still up 22.10% on the year to date at that time.

It's currently sitting around the 6,655 mark, a return of over 15% so far this year. 

But as we all know, past performance is no guarantee of future performance, whether in sharemarkets or other endeavours.

Good Lord. You thought I meant one day's fall! LOL

No, I meant it started a serious downward move (right at the time the OP was made, ironically). Don't know how I could have been clearer- dates and arithmetic included:

5/22 7385

6/24 5789

7385/5789 = 1.275

This was the for the entire index so just an average obviously.

It's still the case that if someone bought (the index) at the time of the original post they wouldn't yet be close to having their money back.

You can prove ANY theory by cherry picking dates.

And RP securities are no better or worse than any others.

• Like 1

mikewright

Good Lord. You thought I meant one day's fall! LOL

No, I meant it started a serious downward move (right at the time the OP was made, ironically). Don't know how I could have been clearer- dates and arithmetic included:

5/22 7385

6/24 5789

7385/5789 = 1.275

This was the for the entire index so just an average obviously.

It's still the case that if someone bought (the index) at the time of the original post they wouldn't yet be close to having their money back.

You can prove ANY theory by cherry picking dates.

And RP securities are no better or worse than any others.

@ hchoate,

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I was a bit confused about those figures.  And I agree entirely, cherry picking dates can give you any result you want.

I'm not a sophisticated investor. From experience, I know there's no way I can pick when the market is at its best or worst, I'm now a firm believer in dollar cost averaging over a long period of time.  I know there are a lot of day traders who seem to do pretty well picking a rising and falling market, but personally the slow and steady approach suits me, with the occasional punt using the contrarian approach.

Davaoeno

but personally the slow and steady approach suits me

how are those Kodak shares doing ??

• Like 1

Jon96843

You mean Eastman Kodak...ayayyyyyyy...do you own this share?????...its trading 0.1261...this company has filled bankruptcy awhile ago if am not mistaken..if I recall it right they sold part of the company and whats left are store chain doing some printing...my opinion is no company is interested  this time coz we are at the age of DIGITAL...heared this bulletin last year and dont know whats the staus nowadays. One of the reasons why share price of  MICRON and SANDISK are rallying because they are into memory business which are parts of the smartphones; cameras, tv, music.. etc..etc..etc.where memories are needed  and especially this time new companies are building  storage facilities which is beyond my comprehension how big are the memories needed on this..have you heard about CLOUD???? in the next few months more companies will access their information into this facilities. I have read about that biggest faility up in UTAH wherein its the biggest storage facility owned by the NSA where all the US government information are stored. Nowadays spinning mechanical storage are maintenance intensive are prone to malfunction due to moving parts like you have in a computers and laptops...MICRON and SANDISK are microchip where information are stored and no moving parts and will last for more than 100 years still very crisp looking some pictures taken awhile ago..this was the gaurantee given by SANDISK...good luck to your KODAK my buddy Davaeno... :beer2:

hchoate

occasional punt using the contrarian approach

Never gamble with money you cannot afford to lose!!

The hardest thing to internalize is to buy when it looks awful and sell when it looks great.

• Like 1