Sign in to follow this  
Ozepete

Need some extra income?

Ozepete

I hadn't checked the Phils stock exchange for several years and was amazed that it is now over 7000 (PSEI) Last time I looked it was hovering at about 2000. The PSEI has doubled from early 2011(3300) to over 7000 now, a 200+% increase. 

This SE could be a handy income stream if worked diligently, as the increase indicated was part of a continuous improvement in the PSEI during supposedly poor global economic times! Worth checking out IMO.

• Like 1

A_Simple_Man

In early 2011 I had a friend who approached me to invest in the Philippine Stocks on a 'Network Marketing' type plan.  Apparently his wife was into it and anyone could sell those stocks.  I wonder how that worked out.  Sounded too good to be true to me . . and yet . .  look at the price of the stocks now.  Anyone else get approached?  And if so how did it work out for you?

Maybe I should sell shares in my 500,000 pesos dogs.  (Well they are worth that to me).

• Like 1

Sven

Please remember, stocks and stock markets go up as well as down. Predicting which way they will go, and buying and selling at the right times, is a profession (or hobby) of millions of people worldwide. Like with anything else, there is a learning curve. Like with anything else, it is not wise to believe you will get rich quick.

• Like 5

Monsoon

You can invest in the PSE without involving any other parties except a reputable broker. There is no need to get involved in any network marketing fiasco. Three years ago people said I was an idiot for getting into the PSE...

• Like 2

Dolsos

Is there a such thing as mutual funds here?

smokey

Is there a such thing as mutual funds here?

i would be real careful remember legacy ,,, pre needs... V8 ... stick to the real public companys... i had good luck with Tier 2 bank notes..

• Like 1

hchoate

Please remember, stocks and stock markets go up as well as down. Predicting which way they will go, and buying and selling at the right times, is a profession (or hobby) of millions of people worldwide. Like with anything else, there is a learning curve. Like with anything else, it is not wise to believe you will get rich quick.

Whereupon, as of 23 May it fell 23%!

Monsoon

Whereupon, as of 23 May it fell 23%!

Where do you get your data from? 23% from what? The PSEI on May 23 closed near 52 week highs. If your talking about the down trend that started around May 24 (which was no where near 23%) and continued on into June, um well yea the market was well overdue for a correction. What goes up must come down. The only reason I am replying to this post is I cant stand to see inaccurate information posted when it is clear someone has no clue what they are talking about. 

Oh and by the way if you want to talk statistics, the PSEI is up 10.49% YTD, and its 1 year performance is something like 22%. 

So your post is completely inaccurate, makes no sense and cannot be compared to any of the publicly available data on the PSEI. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1

ellenbrook2001

well i stick with FOREX  at least i know by the end of the day a much a did make or lost 

Edited by ellenbrook2001
  • Like 1

hchoate

Where do you get your data from? 23% from what? The PSEI on May 23 closed near 52 week highs. If your talking about the down trend that started around May 24 (which was no where near 23%) and continued on into June, um well yea the market was well overdue for a correction. What goes up must come down. The only reason I am replying to this post is I cant stand to see inaccurate information posted when it is clear someone has no clue what they are talking about. 

Oh and by the way if you want to talk statistics, the PSEI is up 10.49% YTD, and its 1 year performance is something like 22%. 

So your post is completely inaccurate, makes no sense and cannot be compared to any of the publicly available data on the PSEI. 

Sorry! I relied on Bloomberg!

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/PCOMP:IND

5/22 7385

6/24 5789

7385/5789 = 1.275

What WAS I thinking! It was 28% not %23.

Wanna hear what I can't stand?

Just thought it was funny that right after the OP it fell like a rock- oh, sorry, 'corrected'. Jinx!

Ozepete

I must admit that from when I first opened this thread the PSE has gone backwards but all SE's go up and down. ( must have put a moz on it!)

But look at the one year graph showing a 20+% gain even to the lower index now, and the five year graph shows a massive 300% gain. And this while the so called smart western countries are going belly up! 

On average for every $2000.00 invested on the Phils Stock Exchange five years ago, you would now have $6000.00.    :clapping:

Now if anyone knows of a better return tell us about it cos it sure ain't happening in Oz where in the same period the ASX has gone from near 7000 points (Late 2007 when the dick heads started ruining the country) to now at about 4600 points, in other-words backwards and down.  :banghead:

Cheers

post-6858-0-56129800-1373427264_thumb.jpg

hchoate

Your implication is that it will continue to go up. Are there fundamentals to support that? Past performance, after all, is never a quarantee of future results.

The best time to sell is when a market is at its best and the time to buy is when it is at its worst (buy low, sell high)- the trick is the timing AND resisting the natural urge to buy when it looks great and sell when it looks horrible (easy on the gut, hard on the wallet)- as a rule, the little guys do the latter and the big guys do the former.

(See The Theory of Contrary Opinion http://www.childwealthmanagement.com/Press/Articles/The-Theory-of-Contrary-Opinion.aspx)

BTW You can make more money faster on the down slope selling short- the changes are steeper/quicker. (Ramps up, falls off, ramps up, falls off ...)

But, you are right- we all missed a great opportunity. Thanks for pointing that out. But, will it continue? Don't bet on it- or DO if you are feeling lucky (or, even better, have evidence that certain stocks are presently UNDER-valued).

Jon96843

I do buy individual stock at the NYSE/NASDAQ thru my broker in the US..much better to invest in the US compared here in the Phil..good return if you know which to buy..bought  MICRON  below 10 dollars and its trading now mid 10's..bought it just last year..also SANDISK bought it at below 10 dollars now trading at the low 60's..bought this 5 years ago...as for the mutual fund...I unloaded my Muni bonds last month before it gets worse (Detroit City filled for bankruptcy) and exchange to a mutual fund Fidelity Select Pharmaceuticals (FPHAX). In my humble opinion as all baby boomers retires soon like us, we need mutual funds investing to this kind of companies or any mutual funds investing into health care. Something to have a nest eggs for our surviving beneficiaries down the road. Just a thought !!!!!

• Like 1

Half Baked

I plan to die broke! The last check written on my bank account will be to pay for my funeral.... and it will bounce!

• Like 5

TorJay

BTW You can make more money faster on the down slope selling short- the changes are steeper/quicker. (Ramps up, falls off, ramps up, falls off ...)

How liquid is this stock market?  Nothing worse than getting squeezed out at the least opportune time.