Western scammer?

udonthani

offer to sell the scammer the shirt off your back. You can do it in a hot country and it doesn't look stupid. Remember to ask for money. Money, Money, Money. This is one tactic that is guaranteed to disarm him. The strategy is basically, OK this guy has tried to mug me, isn't this cool, let's just aggressively mug him back and ask him for HIS money. They never like that, when you turn the tables and they are confronted with a better salesman than them. They just back off.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• JamesMusslewhite

• jme

• udonthani

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two guys recently came up to me looking for assistance  and a  place to live.   I told them to beat it and to get a job .  My wife got mad at me for being so rude to her pa and bro... (dog house  time

whats up with the just go to the embassy and they will help you ??? Has anyone ever tried that ?   It sounds so easy like you show up and they punch the airline booking and you pick your seat and whal

strangers helping ........ taking a chance ...... once i was stationed in foot hood texas and another fellow trooper asked me to ride with him to alabama for the weekend to see his GF i went and he le

Thelandofku-an

maybe he noticed you checking him out a little too close and figured you were going to want to bargain 

To be honest, he engaged me in a conversation that would provide him with respectable names

that could be developed into a credible identity.

How do I know; well, he used a name I mentioned on my previous meeting with him, he couldn't know my 

latter profession, or that it develops some knowledge of the schemings of the human mind!

Edited by Thelandofku-an!
Thelandofku-an

offer to sell the scammer the shirt off your back. You can do it in a hot country and it doesn't look stupid. Remember to ask for money. Money, Money, Money. This is one tactic that is guaranteed to disarm him. The strategy is basically, OK this guy has tried to mug me, isn't this cool, let's just aggressively mug him back and ask him for HIS money. They never like that, when you turn the tables and they are confronted with a better salesman than them. They just back off.

Hehehe, it might not look stupid on you, but I could get arrested for revolting people, my six-pack turned 

into a firkin long ago (with my wife's tender care) and I don't wear a bra!

I daresay he recognized my clothes were not much better than his and took pity by not asking for

money?

Edited by Thelandofku-an!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: i think your math is a little off it should read ... IF you can take in 20 peso per foreigner and do 10 a day for 200 per day you can live quite comfortable there /////

I would make a more optimistic beggar than you buddy !

smokey

To be honest, he engaged me in a conversation that would provide him with respectable names

that could be developed into a credible identity.

How do I know; well, he used a name I mentioned on my previous meeting with him, he couldn't know my 

latter profession, or that it develops some knowledge of the schemings of the human mind!

he was name dropping to get 50 peso instead of the usual 20 peso ??  MY GOD WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING IN THIS WORLD TODAY... THE SHAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would make a more optimistic beggar than you buddy !

I have lived in cebu long enough to know how generous foreigners are to other foreigners 

I have lived in cebu long enough to know how generous foreigners are to other foreigners

yes but a member here already said they were ready to throw them 2,000 pesos and i read of others giving him over 500 pesos without blinking. Even if he only makes one sale at 2,000 pesos per day, that is enough to live on comfortably, anything else he would be living better than a lot of expats there. He could make 5 sales at 500 pesos each, that's still not too bad....

but yeah I will be sticking to my normal job for now :)

oh yeah I forgot to mention that when I first came across him he asked for 2,000 pesos for his rent payment which I declined swiftly..

Edited by jme
  • Like 1
smokey

yes but a member here already said they were ready to throw them 2,000 pesos and i read of others giving him over 500 pesos without blinking. Even if he only makes one sale at 2,000 pesos per day, that is enough to live on comfortably, anything else he would be living better than a lot of expats there. He could make 5 sales at 500 pesos each, that's still not too bad....

but yeah I will be sticking to my normal job for now :)

oh yeah I forgot to mention that when I first came across him he asked for 2,000 pesos for his rent payment which I declined swiftly..

so spit out the name of the generous foreigner who is ready to throw out 2,000 p... ha ha ha

ThomsonJr

It's actually the perfect situation to scam someone, because he's probably white so he can easily convince other white people of his situation... If he can get only 5 sales per week at 2,000 pesos thats 40,000 per month! 

Maybe he lives like a king in the province... who knows

smokey

It's actually the perfect situation to scam someone, because he's probably white so he can easily convince other white people of his situation... If he can get only 5 sales per week at 2,000 pesos thats 40,000 per month! 

Maybe he lives like a king in the province... who knows

and maybe i have a money tree in my house ... i guess i am not in the groove the most i ever gave was 50 peso  you know a place where i can get 2,000 a hit... dang your my new best friend... 

• 1 month later...
battleborn

Well guess what?

I just got hit up twice the last week and half at Ayala by a guy from Alabama.  First at KFC, looking at the menu, he just stood by my side and commented on my hat.  Thouhgt it was an Alabama hat.  Chatted football then the group Alabama, asked if I was American, had mentioned he was 52.  Minute later he was asking for money, down on his luck.  Said no and moved on.

Fathers Day I no sooner got in the mall and he was by my side, asked if I was American and showed me a picture of a baby.  He then said he lost his income and needed money for the baby.  Very clean cut, nice shirt and shorts.

Anyway, I told him he had already hit me up a week ago and the answer was still no.

• Like 1
Stardust

Last night as I about to entry Robinson fuente I was approached by a American who started a conversion , as I ve just moved here I welcomed the chance to make new westerner friends , as the conversion went on he went on to tell me about his hard story and how he and he's heavily pregnant wife have lost everything and livinf on the street ,no disrespect to the locals , but seeing westerns with this problem I was about to hand over a few thousand to help him out , then I offered him and his wife a bed at my place which he diclined, so after that I quickly ended the conversion and got out of there thankfully with my money stil in wallet.

Has anyone encounted this fellow before ???

Yes.  In Bangkok.  He was like stuck to me.. mooching off me.. I left the country because I could not get rid of him.  he actually followed me to  the airport.

edit : I misread your post.  I thought you were asking about other expat scammers :)

Edited by Stardust
smokey

heavens to betsy scammer alert...  danger danger will robinson today i gave 3 bucks to a hobo i saw he had his cart full of old crap a blanket ,, he was old maybe 65 to 70 and had a dog with him and it made me feel pretty Frecking good to help a fellow man who was down on his luck... but heck every peso we give is one less we can spend at S/R on some imported cheese or chicken  

• Like 1
battleborn

Smokey

Just wany to say, giving money to someone in need is different than giving to you feel is a scammer.  The thread is about scammers.

I have probably gave to or helped out $2000p in two months I have been here, not counting my gf.  Scammers are different.

You are from the US like me.  How many time did you stop and give money to those on the corners, or grocery stores, or intersections in the US with cardbord signs saying  "hungryvet" "please help" "I am hungry"?

What I give and its not enough is to whom I think is deserving.

wacobay

There is also a group called the American Association in Manila that will help stranded Americans get home. That is a good question concerning whether the Consulate in Cebu would help a stranded American get to Manila.