Western scammer?

smokey

I did offer the so called homeless guy a bed and place to sleep , surely if he was for real , I would of jumped at the chance for a bed and hot shower

i think its something that upsets most people to see someone begging on one hand your pissed and the other your scared it will happen to you ...... to be adrift in a country that really does not want you can be a bit overwhelming,,,  but on the other side better him then me.. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• jme

• udonthani

• JamesMusslewhite

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two guys recently came up to me looking for assistance  and a  place to live.   I told them to beat it and to get a job .  My wife got mad at me for being so rude to her pa and bro... (dog house  time

whats up with the just go to the embassy and they will help you ??? Has anyone ever tried that ?   It sounds so easy like you show up and they punch the airline booking and you pick your seat and whal

strangers helping ........ taking a chance ...... once i was stationed in foot hood texas and another fellow trooper asked me to ride with him to alabama for the weekend to see his GF i went and he le

SkyMan

I always thought that the UK government would fly you back if in hardship (loan ofcourse)

Yes, they will as will the US and most western countries I imagine.  A friend of mine recently had to go that route.  Upon arrival at Heathrow he was arrested and to my knowledge that is still his housing.  He had an outstanding warrant and that's probably why he hadn't been back in 5 years.  And probably the reason for the western beggars mentioned above. 

I really don't have much sympathy for someone surviving off others in a foreign country when they have a means to go back.

Edited by SkyMan
the boss

they always seem to be Americans. I don't remember coming across even one who wasn't.  http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/27541-american-beggar-on-fields/

Has to be American?

What in the world?

I remember a few that weren't.

In fact most weren't.

Your US bashing is just what it is.

What is your user name on the other site?

udonthani

Has to be American?

What in the world?

In fact most weren't.

are you fecking kidding? A 'US basher' is the last thing anybody that knows me at all would say I was. I was just reporting that

I have never seen any begging bums and scammers, in the Philippines, that were not American. I've seen farang beggars/scammers in Thailand that were not Americans, although Thailand also has its share of begging Americans. I remember one professional that was the son of missionaries and had grew up in Chiang Mai and didn't really know any other place but there and spoke the language fluently who used to touch fellow Americans usually but also just any farang to assist him on his way. But in the Philippines, the ONLY kanos I have seen in this category, and begging on the street. were Americans. Foreign beggars are all over. I used to see them in Israel when I first started travelling 25 years ago. None of them there, were American. Most appeared to be in fact British.

• Like 1
old biker

Has to be American?

What in the world?

In fact most weren't.

bit thin skinned a bit aren't you mate? but not to worry you yanks aren't bad blokes the ones I really detest are my fellow countrymen (ozzies) that bung on the begging act, they really give me the trots, the most foreign beggars I have ever met were English bums / druggies I seen in India years ago, and I am not knocking poms. some of my best mates are yanks and poms.

udonthani

look if you see some foreigner guy on the street begging anywhere in the world in English, there is a good chance, that they will be American. There is a lot more of them, 300 million, than any of the other 'western' countries. It is obvious, that Americans will usually be represented more.

ellenbrook2001

oh yes last year did encounter him near ROBINSONS same story come out of hospital a bandage on hes head very dirty,smelling,he ask me money too help him out but a never carry much cash i did give him 100 p?? but my gf went grr how could you give only 100 p i told her common that guy doing that all day he could go too hes embassy for help ,oh really shes say, sure if hes story hes real they probably help him so end of the story ,then i just walk away .

smokey

whats up with the just go to the embassy and they will help you ??? Has anyone ever tried that ?   It sounds so easy like you show up and they punch the airline booking and you pick your seat and whalla on your way ... i am sure its a long process...   does anyone remember the movie... planes trains and automobiles.. funny but just one mess after another now think a foreign country i am just glad i have not had to face the embarrassment of begging from total strangers , whats funny is most of the guys in here would not think twice about sending money to some girl they meet on line but scream at 50 peso some foreigner is in their mind trying to scam 

Edited by smokey
  • Like 8
Davaoeno

whats up with the just go to the embassy and they will help you ??? Has anyone ever tried that ?   It sounds so easy like you show up and they punch the airline booking and you pick your seat and whalla on your way ... i am sure its a long process...   does anyone remember the movie... planes trains and automobiles.. funny but just one mess after another now think a foreign country i am just glad i have not had to face the embarrassment of begging from total strangers , whats funny is most of the guys in here would not think twice about sending money to some girl they meet on line but scream at 50 peso some foreigner is in their mind trying to scam 

I am very worried !! Its just after 7 am and Smokey is already making sense !!  

• Like 2
smokey

I am very worried !! Its just after 7 am and Smokey is already making sense !!  

its stupid really even me ... yes me i sent my son 800 dollars last month but take a 1 dollar off coupon to the store ... ...i think its just embarrassing to admit a foreigner is begging ..

• Like 2
miles-high

PHP Coins: 10 ≒ 25¢, 5 ≒ 12.5¢, 1 ≒ 4¢…

Coins are heavy, the exchange places don’t take them, they often trigger the airport security devices...

Those street beggars may be richer than you but they look poor. So, why not give them coins and get lighter…

:D

• Like 1
tokyoman

PHP Coins: 10 ≒ 25¢, 5 ≒ 12.5¢, 1 ≒ 4¢…

Coins are heavy, the exchange places don’t take them, they often trigger the airport security devices...

Those street beggars may be richer than you but they look poor. So, why not give them coins and get lighter…

:D

It's illegal to give money to a beggar in the PI

Yep, buy them bread with it

At least you will know the ring leader won't get his cut

• Like 2
USMC-Retired

There was a guy from Alabama that was stranded here in Toledo City.  He went to the Embassy for assistance.  If that is what you call it.  Basically they called 5 or 6 people and asked if they could help him.  Which every single one said no.  It took about a week.  They provided him with airfare back to the US. Not to Alabama but to LA where he will have seek additional assistance.  He hung around broke and homeless for a couple of weeks till they got him a trip home.  That is all they did for him.  

I have never seen this guy or any american beggars.  I try hard to look like this guy below.  Yet I must be doing something wrong.  I think I need a watch.  

2002-04-18-inside-enzyte.jpg   

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 1
Davaoeno

That is all they did for him.

It seems to me that they did a lot for him  .  They fed him and flew him twice- all the way from Toledo to Alabama

I'm sure he managed to get to Toledo all by himself tho !!  There is no cure for stupity . 

Skywalker

I met a guy just past the check out, in the supermarket in the basement of Ayala quite a while ago.  I spotted him looking at me, and starting his approach, I could almost see what was coming.  Anyway he started with 'Are you an American' - and when I answered quite firmly 'No' he shrugged his shoulders and walked on.

He was an American.  At the time there was a guy fitting this description, who was begging with a sob story about a business he was in that went belly up.  I don't remember the details.  He was clearly targeting fellow Americans.

You never read about guys like this going into a restaurant and asking for a free meal - but hey ho, not my business.