For those that have USAA

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Close to Alaya Mall, next door to the Cebu Sports Complex.

Thanks, worked like a charm. No fee and even able to withdraw P20K at a time.

streak03

I transfer money from my USAA account to my account at BDO every now and then.  No matter how much I send to BDO, its a $ 35.00 fee.  Gets there in about 3 to 4 days.

• Like 1
BFHammer

I love the USAA.  Mobile deposits from my phone app, best insurance rates I've ever seen too. 

• Like 1
mpt1947

I use Remithome to transfer funds between my Credit Union in the US to my wife's BPI account here.  They will charge me a Flat Fee of $10 per transfer per day, up to $1000 per day. 

For all other transactions I use my Visa Debit Card at the Retailer (if the retailer doesn't take plastic, my wife pays in cash).  My Debit Card is charge 1% Transaction Fee - for example I spent about $270 at Shopwise on Wednesday.  I was charged a transaction fee of $2.70 - had I taken 10,000 pesos out of an ATM I would be charged almost $5 ATM Fee - 

I don't understand the advantage of having a $ Account in the Philippines - I guess I am not a high enough roller to take advantage of whatever there is to have a $ Account

Edited by mpt1947
  • Like 1
Ronin

You're welcome.  I have a Bank of America debit card.  I am able to withdraw P40K at a time.

I had my daily limits bumped up recently and was able to withdraw 100K in 3 transactions.

SkyMan

Next time try p40K if you need that much.  Should work.

I transfer money from my USAA account to my account at BDO every now and then.  No matter how much I send to BDO, its a $ 35.00 fee.  Gets there in about 3 to 4 days.

That's the Int'l wire transfer fee and doesn't go to USAA but the entity that handles Int'l wire transfers.  I think the domestic fee is $20.  Unless it was a very large transfer and I needed it fast I'd use the HSBC ATM.  You can call USAA and have them raise your ATM withdrawal limit and do my p100K per day, perhaps more.  In 3-4 days you could have p400K and no $35 wire fee.

SirMadrigal

USAA Is great and for former military there are a lot of other great benefits.

A little known online bank by most is Perkstreet Financial and they also refund ATM fees google perkstreet.  they also offer 1% cashback on all debit card purchases.

I have a friend that does this.  Charles Schwab is the way to go if you're not a veteran.

As long as you have a family member in the service (Active or retired) you can have USAA

Kabisay-an gid

Wells Fargo ExpressSend Service

https://www.wellsfargo.com/per/intl_remittance/asia

You can transfer money from a Wells Fargo dollar account directly to a BPI, Metrobank or BDO peso account:

Amount Sent:  $25.00 - $100.00        Transfer Fee:  $4.00

Amount Sent:  $100.01 - $500.00      Transfer Fee:  $5.00
Amount Sent:  $500.01 - $1000.00    Transfer Fee:  $6.00
Amount Sent:  $1000.01 - $1500.00  Transfer Fee:  $7.00
Amount Sent:  $1500.01 - $3000.00  Transfer Fee:  $8.00

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
  • Like 1
ed villas

USAA customer service is VERY GOOD (i cant comment about other banks other than AF BANk,PFCU  or my local CU as i have used no other since 1988)

just a few days ago, about 3am local time, i got a phone call, at 1st, who would be calling me at this hour?

it was USAA asking me about a online issue i had and was i able to solve it, and to reverify that i would still be using my CC outside the (conus) usa for an extended period,

would you receive this from a local bank?

I have a friend that does this.  Charles Schwab is the way to go if you're not a veteran.

As long as you have a family member in the service (Active or retired) you can have USAA

USAA BANKING SERVICES is open to all.

READ BELOW of who is able to become a member

Who can become a member?

A privilege to earn. A legacy to pass down.

Whether
you earned it or your parents earned it, you have the opportunity to
join USAA — and the chance to share the legacy with your children.

Which products and services can I get?

Membership
is open to those who have honorably served in the U.S. military as well
as eligible family members. We also offer certain products to non
military individuals. Here's a general outline of the products and
services available to you.

Active Military

Active military includes:

• Active-duty
    officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. military. This also includes
    those serving in the Selected Reserve and federally recognized National
    Guard components of the U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps and
    Coast Guard.
  • Cadets/midshipmen
    at the U.S. service academies, in advanced ROTC or on ROTC scholarship,
    and officer candidates within 24 months of commissioning through other
    programs.

The following products are available to active military:

• All Insurance Products
  • All Banking Products
  • All Investment Products
  • All Shopping & Services Discounts

Military Veterans

Military veterans includes:

Retired officers and enlisted personnel.
  • Former officers and enlisted personnel who separated and were honorably discharged.

The following products are available to military veterans:

• All Insurance Products
  • All Banking Products

Spouses of USAA Members

Spouses are insured as family members on their eligible spouses' auto or property policies.1

Widows, Widowers and Former Spouses of USAA Members

Widows, widowers and former spouses of USAA members2 includes:

Widows or widowers of USAA members who have or had a USAA auto or property insurance product while married.
  • Un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who have or had a USAA auto or property insurance product while married.

Individuals Whose Parents Are/Were USAA Members

Individuals whose parents are or were USAA members may also be eligible for USAA membership.

Individuals must be
18 years or older to purchase products in their own name. Individuals
under the age of 18 are insured as family members on their eligible
parents3 auto or property insurance policies.

Former USAA Members

Former members who
established group membership with USAA by purchasing an auto or property
insurance policy while in an eligible category may reactivate
membership at any time despite current military status. Previous members
must be in good standing and meet underwriting guidelines in order to
re-establish membership.

The following products are available to former USAA members who previously purchased an auto or property insurance policy:

All Insurance Products
  • All Banking Products

Other Individuals

Our investment

products, most checking and savings products, credit cards, life
insurance, and shopping and discounts are available to other
individuals.

USAA auto and
property insurance is not available due to membership eligibility
requirements.

All other individuals
not eligible for USAA auto insurance may be able to obtain an auto
policy through Liberty Mutual Insurance

Edited by ed villas
SirMadrigal

only from anotjer texas bank the bank of texas would you receive this quality i use both ;)

• Administrator
Salty Dog

On three occasions a BPI ATM took money from my USAA account without dispersing any money to me. USAA credited my account each time. The first time took BPI nearly a month to put the money back in my account. The second time only a few days and the third time they never gave the money back. Even so, USAA covered the withdrawals which were P10,000 each. 

Yea I know I should have learned after the first time, but I've learned my lesson and never use BPI ATM with USAA ATM card.

Other than that issue, I have BPI and BDO accounts and BPI is much better to deal with and online banking is better since you can transfer between dollar and peso accounts, something BDO doesn't offer. In fact I went to my local BDO here in Cebu to transfer my accounts from Dumaguete City. She said I couldn't transfer and had to open new accounts, but since my new I-Card hasn't arrived from Manila, she wouldn't let me open an account.  I pointed out that I only needed 2 IDs which I had with a passport and Philippines drivers license. As usual with banks here, each branch or person has their own rules. She said no problem because I could still access my funds in Dumaguete for only P200 per transaction. I asked what if I had been able to open the account today, could I transfer the funds? Yes, for P200 for each transfer. Went next door to BPI. No problem, welcome to Cebu.

Edited by Salty Dog