For those that have USAA

Footballbatplayer

what bank do you guys use to transfer between accounts if any ? I want to have this set up well before I leave.

Nangulo

I know several people with USAA accounts.  They just use their ATM cards.  You pay a 300 peso transaction fee, but USAA refunds that.

As far as local banks, you'll get as many answers as there are people on the forum.

There are lots of ways to move your money:  local USD account and write a check; local USD account and make singular, large wire transfers (usually $30); PayPal yourself, US-based ATM cards, only; etc., etc., 

CitiBank and HSBC have presence in both countries and can tie accounts together so you can move money seamlessly between countries.  You might want to check them out.

SkyMan

I know several people with USAA accounts. They just use their ATM cards. You pay a 300 peso transaction fee, but USAA refunds that.

I try to use the HSBC ATM so no transaction fee (rip off).  Yes, USAA will refund up to $15 per month transaction fees but I try to avoid that so that benefit will stick around longer when I might need it or HSBC starts charging.  Also, HSBC allows much larger withdrawals so even if they did charge it would be less per peso.

USAA also has a nice feature where you can deposit a US dollar check directly to the bank from your scanner and the money is immediately available.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I try to use the HSBC ATM so no transaction fee (rip off).  Yes, USAA will refund up to $15 per month transaction fees but I try to avoid that so that benefit will stick around longer when I might need it or HSBC starts charging.  Also, HSBC allows much larger withdrawals so even if they did charge it would be less per peso.

USAA also has a nice feature where you can deposit a US dollar check directly to the bank from your scanner and the money is immediately available.

Wow didn't know there were any free ATM left. Do you mean I can use my USAA ATM Card there with no charge?

Knowdafish

Charles Schwab is one good option. Free to set up and maintain an account, even with a $0 balance. Free ATM card with M/C logo and unlimited reimbursement of ATM fees, even internationally! I have no idea how they make any money on a deal like this but I don't really care! 

Footballbatplayer

Charles Schwab is one good option. Free to set up and maintain an account, even with a $0 balance. Free ATM card with M/C logo and unlimited reimbursement of ATM fees, even internationally! I have no idea how they make any money on a deal like this but I don't really care! 

You use them as a second bank in the philippines ? 

Knowdafish

I use them to transfer $$ to the Philippines from the U.S. and for spending $$ while in the Philippines. 

ed villas

what bank do you guys use to transfer between accounts if any ? I want to have this set up well before I leave.

as said USAA is very good. they dont fee you to death, and its been said they REFUND up to $15.usd a month,

if you do it just right, you can stay under that "15"per month,

as SKYMAN said. by using HSBC you can w/d a much higher amount at NO "ATM FEE" they are the last bank that i am aware of that doesnt charge, Citibank now does but they do allow up to 20k,(maybe more but i never need that much)

You pay a 300 peso transaction fee,

could you share with us what banks NOW CHARGE this 300php fee?

last year 1 bank only charged 150p (ps bank? metrobank?) know i cant recall ,,

also consider a opening up a BPI remittance account?

so that you can send ,you can send money to your wife/partner i believe// again i am not 100% certain, just know the option exsist 

please inquire .. at least you can have a BACK UP..

BPInoy Call Remit   1. Make a one time enrollment to this service. Print the

BPInoy Call Remit Enrollment Form.     2. Fully accomplish the Call Remit Enrollment form

with all the necessary information requested.     3. Mail or submit the accomplished Call Remit Enrollment

form to the nearest BPI Express Remittance Corporation (BERC)

in the U.S. together with one voided check and a copy of one

(1) government issued ID.     4. Once enrolled, you can simply phone in your remittance

transaction at any US BERC office.       Reminders:

• The total principal amount plus service

fee will be debited from the account you enrolled via

ACH.

• There is a 3-day clearing time for ACH transactions.

Your remittance will only be sent to your beneficiary

on the day the funds are cleared.

• Call Remit transactions received on Saturdays, Sundays

and holidays will be processed for ACH clearing on next

banking day.    

B. Remittance via Mail

1. Print the remittance application form

2. Accomplish the remittance application form with

all the necessary details.

3. Enclose money order or cashier's check payable

to BPI Express Remittance Corporation. Amount

should include the applicable service fees.

(e.g. Remittance amount US$ 500.00 + credit

to peso account fee US$ 7.00 = US$ 507.00)

4. Enclose photocopy of copy of one (1) government

issued ID.

5. Submit the remittance application form together

with the check and the ID photocopies to any of the following

BPI Express Remittance offices in the U.S.

Reminder:

• Cash payments via mail shall not be accepted.

• Check payments shall be subject to appropriate

clearing period.

• Remittance instructions shall only be processed

after check payments have cleared.

• An official receipt shall be mailed to the client

upon receipt of the remittance application form. For more information

on remittance via mail, you may contact the following toll free

numbers of BERC U.S.

https://www.mybpimag.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=245&Itemid=286

i have been a member of usaa since 1988 & very happy with its service for the past 25yrs,

rarely have i had any"fees" charged compared to those other banks,,

SkyMan

could you share with us what banks NOW CHARGE this 300php fee? last year 1 bank only charged 150p (ps bank? metrobank?) know i cant recall ,,

Almost all charge something.

I try to use the HSBC ATM so no transaction fee (rip off).

Wow didn't know there were any free ATM left. Do you mean I can use my USAA ATM Card there with no charge?

Footballbatplayer

Thanks everyone! Me and the wife have looked at a couple banks and have some narrowed down all the advice really helps!

Nangulo

Nangulo, on 03 May 2013 - 16:18, said: You pay a 300 peso transaction fee,   could you share with us what banks NOW CHARGE this 300php fee?  last year 1 bank only charged 150p (ps bank? metrobank?) know i cant recall ,,

When I use my ATM card, I see the message stating a foreign ATM card may be charged 300 pesos, but my ATM card is local, so I don't pay.  I use ATM's from:

LandBank

Allied Bank

ONB

BPI

PNB

Metrobank

UCPB

ChinaBank

Can't tell about BDO or RCBC because their ATM's are not on the network my card uses.

Scruffydog

Been with USAA 20 years and love them. I use the deposit with scanner all the time. I have another bank account that I can transfer between accounts with from the USAA site.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a friend that does this.  Charles Schwab is the way to go if you're not a veteran.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

New in town. Where can I find HSBC ATM around town?

Ronin

New in town. Where can I find HSBC ATM around town?

Close to Alaya Mall, next door to the Cebu Sports Complex.