Do you have enough money in case of an accident or become Sick?

hookedtothenet

I would just like to share something that has been on my mind alot lately and maybe it's something that should be thought about by others.

I am one of those that like to learn lessons from my past mistakes or that of others and also learn from them and prepare, so that is what has got me thinking about my future here and that of my family.

I mentioned late last year I think about our 30 year old neighbour/friend who had a stroke at 30 years old, he's recovered alot but is still not 100% and never will be, he has had to take a job with his father and earn alot less than he was just because no one else would employ him now.

His hospital expenses where big, but they would divulge how much the parents paid.

Our 21 year old friend also died of Dengue in a local hospital.

Recently a different friends dad had a stroke also and he is 62 and it was severe, he was hospitalized for over a month and is now recovering slowly at home after his family had to pull him out from the hospital due to large ongoing daily fee's and charges that they could not afford.

My wifes cousin was also recently discharged after a major stroke at 56 years old, he had to have a clot removed from his brain and they spent close to P1m and a month in hospital. The thing that hit home to me was that my wife visited him in hospital she saw a 52 year old British guy in the ICU in the bed next to him, he had been in a coma for 2 month's due to contracting typhoid, the filipina wife had been in contact with his elderly parents in the UK throughout his hospitalization  and they were paying the hospital directly, up until the end of April they had paid P2m in hospital care, the hospital had stated that he really needed to be given treatment abroad and that the medivac fee to the UK would cost 60,000 pounds (P3.6M+), money that the elderly parents did not have, because of there age they could not travel to the Philippines to visit their son, he died late April having not come out of the coma , he will now be buried in the Philippines and his parents can't even show there respects in person.He was an only child.

My wifes cousin was lucky that they had a car to sell to pay for the operation and thus saved his life, if they didn't he wouldn't be alive today! If they couldn't of paid the hospital bill he would have to stay in hospital until the fee's are paid at P2,700 per day not inc any meds compounding the already large bill.

Makes me worry that should ever something bad happen to me or my family that I might be in a similar situation should the expenses become huge which they can easily out here.

I know people whinge and moan in the UK and Australia about Medicare and the NHS, but I know that they would do there best to save you before anything else, not like here where if you can't show the cash they won't operate.

I know injury and death is a fact of life in every country, but here it can be a matter of  Cash or Die here people!

I am sure there are many people here living on a budget or pension that would struggle should anything bad happen, just have a think and ask yourselves if you are confident that a should the need occur you have enough money to survive a major medical incident.

• Like 5
Brucewayne

My wifes cousin was lucky that they had a car to sell to pay for the operation and thus saved his life, if they didn't he wouldn't be alive today! If they couldn't of paid the hospital bill he would have to stay in hospital until the fee's are paid at P2,700 per day not inc any meds compounding the already large bill.

If you aren't in a private room, the hospital can't hold you, they just say they can.

Philhealth is what we use to avoid an unexpected deposit, but rather than arguing with the idiot in administration, we have made it a general rule to try to pay upon discharge, it saves time an aggravation.

I live mostly on my Social Security here and always leave about $50.00 out of each check in my account each month just in case of emergency so I can at least pay off most hospital bills when the time comes.

A major catastrophe would be something that I would be poorly prepared for though because the money I have in the states can't be liquidated in a very short time and if I am the one with the emergency in that case, the wife might as well buy a burial plot for me because I am the only one with access to that money.

Actually, on second thought, I would prefer that the wife not pay my hospital bill upon my death and my body would eventually be donated to a medical school.

No funeral expense and I really don't want money spent because I have simply died, leaving my family with another unpaid bill.

Edited by Brucewayne
  • Like 3
Half Baked

Actually, on second thought, I would prefer that the wife not pay my hospital bill upon my death and my body would eventually be donated to a medical school.

No funeral expense and I really don't want money spent because I have simply died, leaving my family with another unpaid bill.

Ya know, I always say things like this (and MEAN it most of the time) but think about how your wife would feel knowing your body is having God knows what done to it while in a school, or donated to science (fiction? Lol) . I don't want my wife and little girl to worry about me once I'm dead. I won't have an expensive funeral, but I'm sure it will be something that my wife can assure that I'm led out with dignity, mostly for her peace of mind. Edited by Half Baked
  • Like 1
panther

well i,m living on a wing and a prayer and is another reason why i,m returning to the u.k in the future .It,s a sad world when your life depends on how much cash you have in the bank.

• Like 1
hookedtothenet

If you aren't in a private room, the hospital can't hold you, they just say they can.

Yes, they were in a private room after being moved out of ICU which was P3k a day, so not a big saving. they move people out of ICU when they feel they need the space, then sometimes they get sick and they move them back a week or so later! Crazy!

SkyMan

Some of the high dollar treatments that you might worry about weren't available 50 years ago.  So maybe we are better off without those options?

USMC-Retired

There are just more concerns then just having the money.  You better be able to get at anytime.  

Here was my experience and more reason I am leaving this place people call paradise.

http://www.timpotter-philippines.com/2013/01/philippine-hospitals-pay-before-service.html

• Like 1
ellenbrook2001

yes i am very aware of the situation that why all in place in case of an emergency my future wife and my daughter have been all aware of the situation if a become very sick my daughter will be here in no time too make appropriate decision of my condition.thanks god money hes not a major problems if i am totally a vegetable my daughter have a power of attorney too get over my finance.a did just stress too them not too be a burden about finance.anywhere thanks too bring the subject.

Brucewayne

Ya know, I always say things like this (and MEAN it most of the time) but think about how your wife would feel knowing your body is having God knows what done to it while in a school, or donated to science (fiction? Lol) . I don't want my wife and little girl to worry about me once I'm dead. I won't have an expensive funeral, but I'm sure it will be something that my wife can assure that I'm led out with dignity, mostly for her peace of mind.

My wife knows I don't want to be laid out (too much like a freak show) and I am still trying to convince her that it would take away from her and our daughter if she pays for a funeral, which I do hope is at least 20 years or more away, but who knows?

Ricky

There is a gentleman on here who sells insurance, and can arrange for even repatriation insurance if need be. For Brits that's definitely worth having, particularly if you've paid income tax/national insurance your entire working life.

Sven
There is a gentleman on here who sells insurance, and can arrange for even repatriation insurance if need be. For Brits that's definitely worth having, particularly if you've paid income tax/national insurance your entire working life.

So who is that gentleman? I live in England but am about to move to Cebu.... I realize I'll need good health insurance and wonder what my options are...

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Many have already read my story, but just in case you haven't here is the link to it. I had credit cards with enough credit limit left on them. The bad part is that the drug company in Cebu that had the drug I needed, would not accept a credit card. So the hospital bought the drug and added a 25% surcharge on to the cost. That surcharge added an additional P290,000. The good part is there were no up front cash fees to the Doctors and I had about ten of them.

Bing had some emergency surgery in December and again I was able to cover the charges with my credit card. But this time on the day she was to check out, all three doctors wanted cash in hand or no discharge. It was about 10am when I got the word that I would need P46,000 or no discharge. She had Phil Heath and they paid a flat fee for all services of P26,000. A little more than half was going to the doctors. Here is the shame; the doctors required me to pay 100% of the fees and they consider the Phil Health payment a bonus when they receive it. Anyway, I used the Xoom app on my phone and the money was here in a few minutes. I ran to the bank, but it was Saturday and the wait in line was over an hour. I went to one of the customer service reps and explained my situation. She was very helpful and got someone to handle my transaction which required converting the dollars to pesos. I was back at the hospital by 1pm with cash in hand. It was just luck though that I had recently transferred several thousand dollars from my IRA to my checking account. It would have taken 3-4 business days to get the money from my IRA.

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/58792-in-dumaguete-city-but-hoping-to-move-to-cebu-in-june-2013/

Skywalker

I have health Insurance. It's not cheap, but the peace of mind it gives me is worth every penny.

tom_shor

Definately need to have something put aside for such things. Especially since many hospitals here want a big chunk up front. Long term care here is inexpensive compared to some places but it can still get very expensive very quick.

As you get older you realise there is a fate worse than death.