Reliable Internet Cafes

Rogersea

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST I posted this in the computers section:

Will be in CEBU next Thursday. I may need to log into a couple of financial websites and my daughter will need to post some school work to the blackboard as well as post the schedule for the place she works at. Are there any I-Cafe's that I should stay away from(that are known to capture passwords etc etc) I get a little paranoid sometimes

thanks Roger C

I had the same paranoia. I took a USB drive with me. On it I had a text file (for universal access) that had p-words and logins along with superfluous padding (in case I lost the USB drive). Rather than type logins and p-words into an unknown computer, I opened the file on the USB drive and cut and pasted into the unknown computer. It

A good assumption would be that all cafes in the Philippines have keyloggers.

A good buddy of mine that is more tech savy than me says that he can do the

alt-ctrl-del, and almost always the computers will show that there are keyloggers installed.

Note: Some keyloggers ALSO take screenshots.

So, keep that in mind as well.

What is the name of the cafe outside Ayla Mall? That one always seemed pretty safe to me.

I have accessed my bank accounts in the USA and credit cards for the last 6 years and never had a problem.

Try Netopia in Cebu at Ayala and SM

My experience had always been pleasant at Cafe de France in Robinson's near Fuente Osmena.

jazzy

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST I posted this in the computers section:

Will be in CEBU next Thursday. I may need to log into a couple of financial websites and my daughter will need to post some school work to the blackboard as well as post the schedule for the place she works at. Are there any I-Cafe's that I should stay away from(that are known to capture passwords etc etc) I get a little paranoid sometimes

thanks Roger C

My assumption is that keyloggers are running in most Internet Cafe's in the Philippines, but that's just my inherent caution. Better to expect the worst.

The USB drive "copy and paste" solution is a good idea, but just remember a lot of smaller Internet Cafe's lock down their USB ports, so USB drives are not available.

Netopia doesn't lock USB, so I'd suggest it's a good place to try that. Also, many Westerners use Netopia and I've never heard any stories about fraud emanating out of their operations.

However, it's obviously a good idea to proceed with caution.

I think if any expat in the 6+ years I have lived here, has had a problem with anyone accessing their accounts here, , I / We would have read it in the local newspapers by now

I think if any expat in the 6+ years I have lived here, has had a problem with anyone accessing their accounts here, , I / We would have read it in the local newspapers by now

You're right, but accessing the Internet from public premises' has inherent risks.

If there's one reason why hacking doesn't appear to have happened in Philippine Internet Cafe's it's probably because of the general ignorance of the staff working in most of these establishments.

Many people graduate from

Philippine Universities with IT skills and it wouldn't be beyond some these people to organize a scam. Don't forget in 2000 the author of the "ILOVEYOU" virus was a Filipino.

The chance of stealing a few hundred thousand pesos from a western account could just be too strong an incentive, especially if you're earning a couple of hundred per day.

I just wouldn't be too trusting and there's always a first time. Even with the risks I'd much rather trust a western Internet Cafe than one in the Philippines.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

Roger C.