My visa waiver is too short by 95 minutes

I have booked a flight from Cebu/Mactan to Korea departing at 01.35 this 7th May. That's 1.35 am.

My tourist visa expires on 6th May.

So... My visa waiver is too short by 95 minutes.

My plan is to simply arrive at the airport early, say 10pm on the 6th, and go through any formalities before midnight.

Do you foresee any problems with such a plan? Is it actually allowed?

At which point exactly is the visa being checked..? I would hope it is at the entrance to the international departure lounge.. If there is such a thing..? So hopefully I can hang out for a few hours shopping etc around midnight..!

Sven

• Administrator
Salty Dog

When I asked my local office when the visa actually expires, she told me that you have to depart the day before. Which would mean it expires at midnight the beginning of the day stamped.

Headshot

So...just get to the airport early. The only time that counts is the time you go through Immigration. Once you are in the secure area, they are no longer concerned about you.

udonthani

no it expires on the day it says, at midnight. It will be OK if you get to the airport early. If it is NAIA make sure you get there VERY early and be one of the first ones in the check in queue when the desk opens three hours before the departure time. And don't mess about, get that exit stamp as soon as you can. Remember to have a pen with you, to fill in the exit form. It's easy to forget that and it seems trivial, but it can cause a minor headache and lose minutes, if you don't have one with you. Needless to say they don't provide them at least at NAIA.

and pray that it isn't delayed by a long time. Like six hours or something. Because that might cause them not to open the check in desk as well. The only time I have ever been delayed as long as that was years ago but that time, they had a big sign up displayed that said the flight was delayed, and that the check in time had been adjusted too.

When I asked my local office when the visa actually expires, she told me that you have to depart the day before. Which would mean it expires at midnight the beginning of the day stamped.

udonthani

oh wait it is at Cebu which would presumably make it much easier than if it was at NAIA in which case I really would get there a long time before. Like maybe four hours. But you still want to be one of the first people in the line.

davehud

The worst that can happen is that you'll have to pay the fee and fine for 1 day overstay at the airport.

Woolf

And how do you know that you can extend by only one day ??

minimum extension  is 1 month

• Like 1
Awesome Color

And how do you know that you can extend by only one day ??

minimum extension  is 1 month

True. I recall needing a 2 day extension but had to get and pay for a full month's extension.

As for the OP, I'd simply do what has been advised and not worry yourself with it - arrive a few hours early, and just be a little extra humble and polite when speaking with the immigration official. Done and done.

udonthani

the OP will be fine - unless his plane is cancelled or delayed. Just so long as he sets his watch and realises he has to be at the front of the check in line, to be safe.

I always run it close to the wire on my stays, not 21 but 118 because I thought you got 21+38+59 days with two extensions. Now it has dawned on me, that I have a few days more than that, with two extensions and that the 'two months' on the second extension is not 59 days at all which is what I was led to believe. It is 62 - December and January each have 31 days.

you also need to be aware if you are coming into the Philippines on a late arriving flight that touches down at 11pm, you are entitled to be stamped for the next day, if you pass through immigration coming into the country, after midnight. That gives you, an 'extra' day you might be glad of later on.

miles-high

it expires on the day it says, at midnight

True.

unless his plane is cancelled or delayed

My personal experince at NAIA is that the supervisor can waive the penalty requirments. Ask to see the supvervisor, politely...

• Like 1
udonthani

I am confident that my charm would get me out of most situations, pretty much anywhere. But in the Philippines, it is likely going to be  charm+donation. Learn how to count the days like cons apparently do in prison, when they are counting down, looking forward to their release. 1 2 3 and so on. Until you get up to one hundred and however many it is you have before you leave for somewhere different. And lest we forget, somewhere where 95% of Filipinos would be dying to go but can't.

SkyMan

The worst that can happen is that you'll have to pay the fee and fine for 1 day overstay at the airport.

No, the worst thing would be the above plus you miss your flight plus they decide you look like some foreigner who they claim killed some kid and you end up in prison the rest of your life.  But none of that will probably happen.  Hopefully.

Just get through Immigration before midnight and if your flight's delayed be ready to camp out in the terminal a while.

Edited by SkyMan
udonthani

. . . what is it like past immigration in Cebu airport. I have never taken an international flight out of there. Only domestic where it is not too bad.  If you know, you are due for a long spell to wait after passing through immigration, I would be dreading it at NAIA. And it has not got better at NAIA. It has got worse.

miles-high

And it has not got better at NAIA.

Yes to Terminal 2, it depends on the time of the day at Terminal 1 and always good at Terminal 3 (very few international flights going out from or coming in to T3 ;)).