A guy from China

Hello Everyone,

I am Sunlam from China,living in Shenzhen city which next to

HongKong, the reason I come to this forum is my past great-grandmother is from Philippines,

she migrated with her family from Philippines to HongKong, and then our family

migrated from HongKong to Shenzhen 20 years ago,I don’t get much info about my

great-grandmother, as I known her hometown called “Sobou” in Chinese, I guess

it should be Cebu, so  I come to here to

know what the life where great-grandmothere had live,I’d like to know the culture,

custom and life,etc. hopefully I could make some friends here and help me to

learn more about Cebu, and welcome to HongKong and Shenzhen!

:hi: Welcome to Forum...from CdO City...hope some one in Cebu can help

Currently I am working for Expedia as a software engineer

How many native resident in Cebu?

Edited by sunlam
Skywalker

I am resident in Cebu City, but originally from London in England.  Welcome to the forum.  Coma and visit sometime, it's easy to fly from HK as I am sure you know.

johnboy999

Hi Sunlam,

Welcome to the best forum on the net to talk about life in Cebu!

I'm heading up to Hong Kong tomorrow, but only for a few hours so that I can re-start my tourist visa here as I've been here for 16 months. As Skywalker above said, it's not a long flight from Hong Kong to Cebu, only about 2 and a half hours as it's 1100km from Hong Kong airport to Mactan airport on Cebu. Every time I travelled from London to Cebu in the past, I always used Hong Kong as my transit airport en route as there aren't any direct flights from the UK to Cebu. They really made a nice job of that new airport on the man made island in Hong Kong, by the way :)

Cebu, especially out in the provinces where I live is a very nice place. I don't suppose you would be able to find out what part of Cebu your family was originally from? It's a bigger island than you might think from just looking at the maps. Although it's relatively narrow, it's 225km long and has lots of towns. Chances are, one of the members here will either live in your families home town, or near it as we are spread out through the whole of Cebu. Not everyone here lives in Cebu City ;)

• Like 1

I am resident in Cebu City, but originally from London in England.  Welcome to the forum.  Coma and visit sometime, it's easy to fly from HK as I am sure you know.

Thanks Skywalker,Yes,I plan to visit Cebu some time,so I come to here to make some friends before I go

David_LivinginTalisay

Hello Everyone,

I am Sunlam from China,living in Shenzhen city which next to

HongKong, the reason I come to this forum is my past great-grandmother is from Philippines,

she migrated with her family from Philippines to HongKong, and then our family

migrated from HongKong to Shenzhen 20 years ago,I don’t get much info about my

great-grandmother, as I known her hometown called “Sobou” in Chinese, I guess

it should be Cebu, so  I come to here to

know what the life where great-grandmothere had live,I’d like to know the culture,

custom and life,etc. hopefully I could make some friends here and help me to

learn more about Cebu, and welcome to HongKong and Shenzhen!

Hi Sunlam, (Ni Hao),

Welcome to this Forum.  

I got offered a promotion to Engineering Manager - Asia Pacific back in 1997, but I had never been to Asia before.  This American company, Netrix, whom I worked for in their UK (EMEA) office, suggested I take a Service Call to Korean Exchange Bank to upgrade the firmware on their Netrix 2500 Series ATM Switches.  With that done spend a month in Hong Kong getting to know the place, the people and the Asian culture.

I got to see Hong Kong just before the 'Hand Over' and boy what a Party that was (and so was the torrential downpour).

I accepted the job, and was living in Hong Kong from 1st October 1997 to 1st May 2001, when I moved to Cebu, Philippines with this Filipina. Sha-Sha, whom I met in November 1998.  We were married on 16th June 2002, after my Divorce was finalized the year before.

I made many buisness trips around Asia, including trips into China that included Shenzhen.   That is a City that has grown big, very quickly.   Hong Kong speaks Cantonese, yet Shenzhen speaks a version of Manadarin (Puthongua) I believe.

If you want to learn something of the Philippines Culture, take a trip over the border to Hong Kong on a Sunday and visit any of the parks.  The Filipina OFW Domestic Helpers have Sunday off.  They turn the Parks. into a bit of the Philippines for the day.  You will find them very sociable, friendly, smiling. and can speak English.  They will probably be talking/chatting (chikka) in Tagalog or local version like Visayan/Cebuano like my wife. as she is from Cebu.  They may be playing cards, and most likely eating.

I expect you Grandmother did the same?

Say hello in English and you will probably get a reply.  A few may have picked up some Cantonese if they have worked there for 2 years or more, but not sure they will know any Mandarin (even though it is easier with 4 x 'tone' levels, not like the harder '6 x tones' of Cantonese).

I passed through Shenzhen  some 3 times for flights to Chengdu, and twice going back, then bus/train to Mianyang.  This is where I am currently an Oral English Teacher to Junior 2 (Grade 8) Students @ Mianyang Nanshan Bilingual School and will probably have completed my 2nd term/School Year by the end of May (since Students doing end of year exams in June.

If you know of any English Training Schools offering Summer English Camps and needing a Native English Teacher, let me know!

I could do with finding some Part time work in June/July/August (my Resident Permit for Foreigners PRC, expires end of August).  Not sure I want to renew the Contract, at that School, as it is only 7 months paid work per year!

You might be able to Contact me (Britster) on QQ, if you wish.  This allows translation to/from Chinese.  I am still on a big learning curve with Putonghua.

Cheers, zai jian!

David

Living In Mianyang, Sichuan, China

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

Hi Sunlam,

Welcome to the best forum on the net to talk about life in Cebu!

I'm heading up to Hong Kong tomorrow, but only for a few hours so that I can re-start my tourist visa here as I've been here for 16 months. As Skywalker above said, it's not a long flight from Hong Kong to Cebu, only about 2 and a half hours as it's 1100km from Hong Kong airport to Mactan airport on Cebu. Every time I travelled from London to Cebu in the past, I always used Hong Kong as my transit airport en route as there aren't any direct flights from the UK to Cebu. They really made a nice job of that new airport on the man made island in Hong Kong, by the way :)

Cebu, especially out in the provinces where I live is a very nice place. I don't suppose you would be able to find out what part of Cebu your family was originally from? It's a bigger island than you might think from just looking at the maps. Although it's relatively narrow, it's 225km long and has lots of towns. Chances are, one of the members here will either live in your families home town, or near it as we are spread out through the whole of Cebu. Not everyone here lives in Cebu City ;)

Thanks johnboy999,you are very nice!yes,it is very difficult to find out where my past great-grandmother live,she did not back to Phil since she migrate to China,and didn't contact with her family as the communicate technology is not developed at that time.Since my whole family are Chinese,so she custom the life in China

Welcome to Hong Kong,feel free to contact me if you need any help in HongKong and Shenzhen.

Msn:[email protected]

Headshot

Welcome to LinC Forums Sunlam. Most of the members on this forum are foreigners (from the West) who live in the Philippnes, have lived here in the past or just enjoy visiting the Philippines. Myself, I am an American living on Cebu with my Filipina wife and our daughter. We also have Filipinas on the forums who mostly live here or overseas with their foreign husbands (though there are a few single Filipinas as well). For that reason, the viewpoints you get here are mostly those of expats. If your goal is to establish a family connection here in the Philippines, I wish you good luck, but this forum might not be a real great resource for that. However, the members here may be able to steer you in the right direction. Whatever your goals are, I hope you are successful. It is nice to have more Asians here on the forums. It's always good to get diverse viewpoints.

Edited by Headshot

Hi Sunlam, (Ni Hao),

Welcome to this Forum.  

I got offered a promotion to Engineering Manager - Asia Pacific back in 1997, but I had never been to Asia before.  This American company, Netrix, whom I worked for in their UK (EMEA) office, suggested I take a Service Call to Korean Exchange Bank to upgrade the firmware on their Netrix 2500 Series ATM Switches.  With that done spend a month in Hong Kong getting to know the place, the people and the Asian culture.

I got to see Hong Kong just before the 'Hand Over' and boy what a Party that was (and so was the torrential downpour).

I accepted the job, and was living in Hong Kong from 1st October 1997 to 1st May 2001, when I moved to Cebu, Philippines with this Filipina. Sha-Sha, whom I met in November 1998.  We were married on 16th June 2002, after my Divorce was finalized the year before.

I made many buisness trips around Asia, including trips into China that included Shenzhen.   That is a City that has grown big, very quickly.   Hong Kong speaks Cantonese, yet Shenzhen speaks a version of Manadarin (Puthongua) I believe.

If you want to learn something of the Philippines Culture, take a trip over the border to Hong Kong on a Sunday and visit any of the parks.  The Filipina OFW Domestic Helpers have Sunday off.  They turn the Parks. into a bit of the Philippines for the day.  You will find them very sociable, friendly, smiling. and can speak English.  They will probably be talking/chatting (chikka) in Tagalog or local version like Visayan/Cebuano like my wife. as she is from Cebu.  They may be playing cards, and most likely eating.

I expect you Grandmother did the same?

Say hello in English and you will probably get a reply.  A few may have picked up some Cantonese if they have worked there for 2 years or more, but not sure they will know any Mandarin (even though it is easier with 4 x 'tone' levels, not like the harder '6 x tones' of Cantonese).

I passed through Shenzhen  some 3 times for flights to Chengdu, and twice going back, then bus/train to Mianyang.  This is where I am currently an Oral English Teacher to Junior 2 (Grade 8) Students @ Mianyang Nanshan Bilingual School and will probably have completed my 2nd term/School Year by the end of May (since Students doing end of year exams in June.

If you know of any English Training Schools offering Summer English Camps and needing a Native English Teacher, let me know!

I could do with finding some Part time work in June/July/August (my Resident Permit for Foreigners PRC, expires end of August).  Not sure I want to renew the Contract, at that School, as it is only 7 months paid work per year!

You might be able to Contact me (Britster) on QQ, if you wish.  This allows translation to/from Chinese.  I am still on a big learning curve with Putonghua.

Cheers, zai jian!

David

Living In Mianyang, Sichuan, China

Ni hao David,the world is small,I didn't think I will meet someone living China in here,lol...

Yes,Shenzhen is one of bigest cities in China,most of people there speak Mandarin since they migrated from other provinces,yet local speak Cantonese,like me,I could speak both Cantonese and Mandarine, so the Shenzhen metro broadcast in Mandarine,Cantonese and English.

so as you said,people in Cebu only have Sunday off?

welcome to Shenzhen!I will help to look for if any company/Schools need english teacher,and will let you know if I found.

BTW,why do you became an english teacher from an engineering Manager?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

always good to see someone looking to learn the past that made them

• Like 1
ThomsonJr

Shenzhen is actually a nice city, it has very nice rural and mountainous surrounding areas where i'd love to do some off road biking. I am currently looking to settle down there in the very near future, it's not so far from the Philippines, all i'd have to do is hop on a direct bus from Shenzhen to Hong Kong and board a CebuPacific airplane that will bring me to Cebu airport in 2 hours and 30 minutes only... so for me it's a great place to live and doing business there is by far much easier than in the Philippines despite the language barrier, this actually sounds very desperate for the Philippines because most Chinese people I do business with don't even speak half as good English like most Filipinos I know.

Edited by ThomsonJr
David_LivinginTalisay

Ni hao David,the world is small,I didn't think I will meet someone living China in here,lol...

Yes,Shenzhen is one of bigest cities in China,most of people there speak Mandarin since they migrated from other provinces,yet local speak Cantonese,like me,I could speak both Cantonese and Mandarine, so the Shenzhen metro broadcast in Mandarine,Cantonese and English.

so as you said,people in Cebu only have Sunday off?

welcome to Shenzhen!I will help to look for if any company/Schools need english teacher,and will let you know if I found.

BTW,why do you became an english teacher from an engineering Manager?

Hi Sunlam,

I said the Filipina Domestic Helpers working in Hong Kong, usually only get Sunday off, and they 'picnic in the Parks of Hong Kong making it like the Philippines, so they stick to their root traditions and culture.  

Go to a Hong Kong Park one sunday when the weather is nice.  

Join in with them, and chat to them, and get to know the people and culture of your Filipina Grandmother.

Aso to "Why I became an English Teacher", this was something I only started fairly recent, like 17 months ago!

At age 50 (in 2005), I took 25% Tax Free Cash Lump Sum from my three Private Pensions and had to convert the 75% balance to an Annuity.

I discovered that some Rural Banks in the Philippines were offering 20%pa, on 5 Year Peso Time Deposits, with the Interest paid monthly Tax Free (by virtue it was a 5 Year term Savings Plan, with the 20% Withholding Tax being waived).  With Php7.5M Gross (Php6.4M Nett) Deposts with the three of us (wife and her daughter also), we were reciving Php140Kpm as tax free income.  

Why bother working when the weather is warm and so is the sea, and the beers cheap and cold?

But in December 2008, the 5 x Rural Banks that I had those Peso Time Deposits in, were all closed along with 7 others of th e Legacy Group.  They were however Insured, by the PDIC. I/we eventually got back 98% of the Nett Deposits back but it too 6 to 21 months.

My Annuity income, is now only worth about half what it was back in 2005, when the Peso was 105 to GBP1!   Today it is about  Php61 to GBP1 so ocer 40% lost there.   Throw in quadrupling of Gas/Diesel, doubling of Electric Gas/Water prices, introduction of 12% VAT, and inflation over the last 8 years, and I think you can see why I only have half the Peso purchasing power of 2005.

There are not many Jobs vacancies in Telecommunications these days with companies struggling to survive in the current eccomomic situation.  Companies are laying people off in many cases rather than hiring new ones, Job opportunities for a 58 year old guy, who has been semi-retired for 10 years, are a 'few and far between' it seems!

There was a potential opening with NCR, Philippines as a 'Solution Architect', but still not hear anything more on that (and was not advertised on NCR website).

This Forum had a Message Post asking for Native English Speakers who were willing to do Part Time (Seasonal) work as English Teacher to some Korean teenagers for an English Winter Camp, over on Mactan Island, Cebu.

I got the job, and rather enjoyed it actually,  Only trouble was, it only lasted 6 weeks.   

So that is how and whi I came to now be in Mianyang, Sichuan teaching Grade 8 Chinese Students.

It is not exactly very difficult or demanding, and in terms of pay per hour, is more than double what I got teaching in Mactan.  Throw in free accommodation, of a generous size, and RMB300 cash allowance to pay for Gas/Electric and Water. and it is possible to save a decent amount.  

The meals in the School Canteen are typically RMB4.40 - 12.0, depending on how many servings, and what meat dishes, you select, it does not cost a lot.  The Internet is provided free, as well as drinking water.

Read my  Living (& working) in China! Thread if you want to learn more?

Sunlam, with you posting to this Forum, gave me an idea - why not advertise my Ramos Tower Condo in Schenzhen, China (seeing as there is not a lot of Interest from Members of this Forum (except from those who want me to sell, at Php500,000 less than what I bought it for!).

Logo2.jpg

http://classifieds.echinacities.com/Shenzhen/Apartments-for-Sale

3850RMB

Apr 28

1541245328.jpg
Studio Condo in Cebu, Philippines

Shenzhen | Apartments for Sale Studio

Chance to own international property - foreigners are allowed ...

Perhaps I should also advertise in Hong Kong (although most OFW DH's read the likes of Sulit.com.ph there might be some Brits and Hong Kong Chinese who dont?).

I had signed up to  echinacities.com to reply to some Native ESL Teacher Jobs advertised there,

There does not seem to be the same ecconomic problems in China, that he Western world is facing.  

You should see all the cars of parents collecting their children from this School this morning and will be the same traffic jam on the afternoon/evening of 1st May ready for Classes again, on Thursday 2nd May.

So I have 3.5 days off (should have been 4 days with no work, if I was told I dont have to do my Tuesday morning class, today, like I was previously told).

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay