29 April / 12Z UTC
Our pos:        24.32 N    035.02 W

Course:  T 48.6  

Next  WP : 36 N – 020 W

Distance to WP  :   1035  nm 

24 hr Distance made good : 307 nm

Speed / Speed made good 24 hrs : 12.5 / 12.8
Total Distance Run : 1647 nm 
Current ETA Gibraltar :  05 May 0600 UTC ( 0800 local ) 

Wind: E-SE variable 5  knots 
Seas: CALM
Swells : 2 m Northerly  - long period / continuing to diminish 
Sky: mixed ( 4/8th )  finally clearing
Bar: 1013

Gods are smiling on us, can't complain one bit with the last few days conditions. Current track remains valid to stay within the settled weather area as we proceed North. Weather data for the straights still fluctuating but seems to be settling into a lessor strong northerly wind pattern. Pictures included are larger than normal as they show the conditions so well ! 

post-5171-0-80468900-1367249267_thumb.png

post-5171-0-17740600-1367249338_thumb.png

Edited by Mr. Mike

Knowdafish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_state       I used to sleep in the forward sleeping compartment of DD 727,,,,,,,,in rough seas it  (the bow)was under water more than above water.....the bow goes down,, you lift up in your rack/bunk,,,,the bow recovers/comes up,, you are glued to your bunk,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the period is usually about 6/8 seconds,,,,,,all freaking night long! Under normal conditions,,,,,,,very tired after standing watch...........sleep comes easy.

I know that all to well. I sailed on a 65' all aluminum sloop from Hawaii to Alaska in '88. 

59151295.jpg

Paul

Man, truly, thanks for posting this. It is a fantastic read.

• Like 1

thebob

I know that all to well. I sailed on a 65' all aluminum sloop from Hawaii to Alaska in '88. 

59151295.jpg

Wow how did you take that pic?

Mr. Mike

Just another day at sea

Good morning, 

Please find below today's update report 

30 April / 12Z UTC
Our pos:        27.55.08 N    030.46.72 W

Distance to WP  :   731  nm

24 hr Distance made good : 304 nm

Speed / Speed made good 24 hrs : 12.7 / 12.66
Total Distance Run : 1930 nm 
Current ETA Gibraltar :  05 May 0600 UTC ( 0800 local ) + / - 

Wind: E-SE variable >5  knots 
Seas: CALM
Swells : 1.5 m NNE  - 5-6 sec period / swell has swung much more NE'ly so is on the nose to port fwd qrtr giving bit of a hobby horsing ride although through the calm wind driven seas
Sky: mixed ( 8/8th )  clear as a bell ! 
Bar: 1014

With build up along West Spanish coast continuing, but due to abate as we arrive in the area, present route remains best with expected residual seas as we approach the straights with moderate Northerly winds abeam. Otherwise, very light conditions are now into their 4th day, and are mainly expected to continue through Friday for the most part. Yippers ! 

post-5171-0-77627300-1367333158_thumb.png

post-5171-0-36468100-1367333185_thumb.png

Edited by Mr. Mike
  • Like 3

ThomsonJr

I wonder if any of you have done the hippy trail, that used to be a bus going from London or Amsterdam all the way to India and Nepal and back. The whole bus ride from London or Amsterdam to  Nepal would cost less than 60$ approximately. I wasn't born yet that time , but this was in the 60s and 70s, also many Americans flew to Europe and then took the bus all the way to India and Nepal and then they would fly from Nepal to Thailand because Myanmar that time used to be a difficult area to travel and is inbetween the two countries. Crossing the ocean is nice though, but going from Western Europe to Asia via the middle east is even more awesome, but I think it was better in the 60s and 70s than it would be now.

udonthani

before my time too although I have one older friend of ours, who used to supply us with hashish. who did it and he regaled us with a load of stories about it.  He is still around actually. 1979 was the killer year for the overland-to-India hippie thing.  That was the year when both Iran and Afghanistan went out of the equation, when Iran had their revolution and Afghanistan was invaded by the Soviets. That more or less closed then both off, certainly compared to before, ever since. You've never been able to get through Burma-Myanmar from India. You still can't. There is an even bigger security shield on its Indian border than there is on its Thai one. Besides, almost none of the hippie drug-taking contingent were interested in getting farther than India anyway in those days. Australia didn't really become a glamourous destination until the 1980s, which was the decade is made its cultural breakthrough, with Crocodile Dundee, and Neighbours.

Mr. Mike

Email issues!

Good day, 

Please find below today's update report 

1 May / 12Z UTC
Our pos:        31.18.47 N    026.22.38 W

Distance to WP  :   424  nm

24 hr Distance made good : 307 nm

Speed / Speed made good 24 hrs : 12.7 / 12.8
Total Distance Run : 2212 nm 
Current ETA Gibraltar :  05 May 0800 UTC ( 1000 local ) + / - 

Wind: SE 20-25 knts
Seas: 2 m confused ENE - ESE
Swells : 2 m confused NE / ENE / E 
Sky:  ( 2/8th )
Bar: 1016

Overnight conditions made a big change. First, short period swell built from the NE on the bow, then by morning the swell direction has varied some in a confused fashion giving quite a jumpy ride. Additionally the winds have swung as forecast to SE and come up to 20-25 knts which have also generated more confused wind driven waves competing with the underlying swell direction. We are having email upload issues since yesterday, so I won't insert any weather chart or pictures until we get that sorted  .
  • Like 1

udonthani

bit of a swell then, have we?

don't worry about it. When it's over, just post us some pics when you get your hair straight.

• Like 1

ThomsonJr

before my time too although I have one older friend of ours, who used to supply us with hashish. who did it and he regaled us with a load of stories about it.  He is still around actually. 1979 was the killer year for the overland-to-India hippie thing.  That was the year when both Iran and Afghanistan went out of the equation, when Iran had their revolution and Afghanistan was invaded by the Soviets. That more or less closed then both off, certainly compared to before, ever since. You've never been able to get through Burma-Myanmar from India. You still can't. There is an even bigger security shield on its Indian border than there is on its Thai one. Besides, almost none of the hippie drug-taking contingent were interested in getting farther than India anyway in those days. Australia didn't really become a glamourous destination until the 1980s, which was the decade is made its cultural breakthrough, with Crocodile Dundee, and Neighbours.

What surprises me most was that countries like Thailand had a sign at the entrance of the border saying "No Hippies!!" and this meant  that if you had long hair and you wear sandals then you couldn't enter the country.

Headshot

Be careful guys. This thread is starting to float off topic.

Nangulo

very tired after standing watch...........sleep comes easy.

How true.  I remember being in the Indian Ocean in summertime on a DD not too much larger than yours.  Constant 8-12 footers for weeks on end.  Sleep did come easy but your tray kept sliding off the dang mess table and you went back on watch - hungry.

Tin cans - gotta love 'em.

• Like 1

Half Baked

I don't know a lot about captaining a ship. At the end of the day, on a boat such as this one, does everyone aboard go to sleep and the boat is put on auto-pilot? Do they still move pretty fast while no one is at the wheel? Does radar alert them of oncoming traffic/obstructions? Do the people navigating sleep in shifts?

It's very interesting reading this thread. Thanks

Mr. Mike

I don't know a lot about captaining a ship. At the end of the day, on a boat such as this one, does everyone aboard go to sleep and the boat is put on auto-pilot? Do they still move pretty fast while no one is at the wheel? Does radar alert them of oncoming traffic/obstructions? Do the people navigating sleep in shifts?

It's very interesting reading this thread. Thanks

I cannot imagine they do not stand 24 hour watches 24/7, especially on the bridge. Too many things can go wrong, as the next update will illustrate. As I remember the newer radars will give an audible alert should another ship come within range, and appear on the screen, they probably can compute and display their course and speed as well.

Edited by Mr. Mike