Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Mike

Atlantic crossing

broden

No. I mean, I would REALLY like to do it before I leave this earth. That is one thing I have wanted to do since I was a boy / young man.

But, I will just have to do so through the eyes of others.

dude there's a rig you can afford right there

Mr. Mike

It appears to be the Katara, owned by the Emir of Qatar.

You may have nailed it. Just from the pictures down the stbd side and the mast light on the forecastle. Not much to go on but we'll see if it is, I guess we now know who the Boss is.

Edited by Mr. Mike

udonthani

it is the best way to get somewhere really. I met somebody in Australia who had initially gone there, years before, as crew on a yacht, from the West Coast of the US. What a trip that must have been.

aged 15, I did arrive in Canada, from London as a passenger on this Soviet-subsidised Polish-owned ocean liner the TSS Stefan Batory. Because the commies were paying most of the fare, in the interests of prestige and trying to persuade everybody that it wasn't just the evil capitalist imperialists that could do things like sail ocean liners and eat meals that weren't composed only of cabbage and beetroot soup, my dad was able to bring everyone over at less than what it would have cost to fly. Gydnia, Poland via Tibury, London where we got on, to Montreal. Quite a trip. Especially the last bit, down the St Lawrence seaway. Though it was in July, it was a very rough crossing for the time of year. Even on a big ship like that, a lot of the passengers, and even many of the crew were seasick. Not me, however.

the boat was much slower than the really fast ocean liners like the QE2. Instead of the five days that took to get from Southampton to New York, it took 10 days to get from London to Montreal. They plotted the course of the ship every night on this board that you could then look at the next day. One night, according to the chart they had, the ship made this unexplained detour. It veered off in a completely different direction to what you would have thought it was supposed to. We asked them about it but they were very uncommital and clammed up. We guessed that maybe there was some other ship in distress or something, but never did find out why, at least according to the chart, they suddenly decided to alter course and sail for what looked like thirty nautical miles south instead of west and then turned abruptly north again.

• Like 1

Davaoeno

Katara

post-8045-0-90727700-1367109219_thumb.jpg

udonthani

oh bollocks, the Stefan Batory was a much bigger boat than that. It was a proper ocean liner. The last one, that plied the Atlantic Ocean commercially. A proper big ship, not a piece of shit like that. Don't you know anything?

thebob

It doesn't matter how large the vessel is, they all seem small out at sea. My 26ft yacht seems huge next to the tiny little sailing bancas that the fisherman use.

It is interesting to hear the comments about the weather. I'm wondering if he is carrying passengers, because their comfort is often more important that a fast crossing.

Keep the updates coming, I'm quite impressed with their daily progress, my yacht is a little slower than that!

• Like 1

udonthani

sorry it does matter, a lot. Huge vessels, much bigger than you will see anywhere in the Philippines, used to go between Europe and North America, across the Atlantic Ocean, all the time. I'm younger than you I think, but I managed to hitch a lift, on two of them. They were genuinely great vessels and a symbol of global civilisation. They were truly great things. Much better, than some idiot rich man's yacht.

thebob

I agree with you that the age of ocean liners was a great time, but even the largest ships of today are still at the mercy of the weather.

• Like 2

Mr. Mike

sorry it does matter, a lot. Huge vessels, much bigger than you will see anywhere in the Philippines, used to go between Europe and North America, across the Atlantic Ocean, all the time. I'm younger than you I think, but I managed to hitch a lift, on two of them. They were genuinely great vessels and a symbol of global civilisation. They were truly great things. Much better, than some idiot rich man's yacht.

Most of these yachts are custom made ,,,many made in italy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the craftsmanship is amazing!  Everything is first class..... the hull (steel), the superstructure (aluminium), the technology, leading edge, even the bow thrusters perfectly integrated into the ship's hull............the fit and finish of these yachts are legendary!!!!

I doubt that the current cruise liners can beat the wishes of a wealthy owner creating his/her own,,,,,,,,yacht!

NO way!..................the "rich man"  may be an idiot,,,,, but he can afford an excellent navel architect to design his ship! Money/expense is no object.......................

Edited by Mr. Mike
  • Like 1

Cannonball

Keep the progress reports coming, I am impressed with time she is making on a daily average... Some of us love the sea and most things about it... The downside is if you have a family you are seperated from them for extended periods... The Few who are lucky enough to own their own Boats / Yachts / Ships, have the luxury of taking their families with them, there by experiencing the best of both worlds. Thank you again for sharing this with us.

• Like 2

Cannonball

I agree with you that the age of ocean liners was a great time, but even the largest ships of today are still at the mercy of the weather.

True statement, if you have ever experienced a good blow at sea you discover just how insignificant we all are in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 2

udonthani

when archaeologists of the future get round to digging us up, you just know they will be especially be fascinated by the ocean liners. They were awesone things, and inspire endless fascination even today - hence all the hullabaloo over the Titanic story even now. I was born just at the very end of the ocean liner era and am acutely conscious I was incredibly lucky to sail across the Atlantic twice on two of those marvellous ships. The joke is that by about 1960, their fashionable time had passed and everybody that wanted to be trendy and up-to-the-minute had decided that it was better to subject yourself to being cooped like a factory-farmed chicken for 12 hours in a confined space rather than just leisurely cross five time zones in the same number of days..

• Like 1

Mr. Mike

Good morning, 

Please find below today's update report 

28 April / 12Z UTC
Our pos:        21.09 N    039.10.27 W

Course:  T 48.6  

Next  WP : 36 N – 020 W

Distance to WP  :   1342  nm

24 hr Distance made good : 280 nm

Speed / Speed made good 24 hrs : 12.5 / 11.9
Total Distance Run : 1363 nm
Current ETA Gibraltar :  05 May 0600 UTC ( 0800 local ) 

Wind: N -NE variable 5  knots 
Seas: CALM
Swells : 3 m  - long period / continuing to diminish with long occasional 4/5 meter rollers moving through from the N
Sky: mixed ( 4/8th )  
Bar: 1013

As forecast, yesterday gave dropping winds, seas and swell for a rather good day of running. Today again is giving more of the same with us proceeding NE'wards along our amended track which I advised of yesterday which takes us to the West and North of Maderia, thence Easterly into Gibraltar. The moderate to strong Northerlies forecast later this coming week off the West coast of Spain and in the approaches to the straights of Gibraltar continue to remain in the forecast. We did see one data model set change that, but overnight and today, all data sets received are showing these northerlies off Spain, and thus at present continue to show our altered route remaining valid and potentially a good move.

Also on a more casual note, at the end of my watch last night around 1130p ship time we came up on another yacht unexpectedly out here in the middle of the Atlantic. That being the 50 meter Codecasa "Lady Ann Magee" which we have known for some years, and in fact Captain Brent whom was on board has previously been hired by myself years ago to deliver this vessel. I hadn't seen Brent since the Savannah, GA shipyard period 2 years ago, so it was good to catch up on the radio in the middle of the night. They too are proceeding on to Gibraltar with a projected arrival on Sunday May 5th, but on a course similar to our original track still shown on the below chart. We discussed weather, chatted and wished each other well on each others respective travels before we both disappeared into the night. 

post-5171-0-50237900-1367165261_thumb.png

post-5171-0-97463500-1367165288_thumb.png

Edited by Mr. Mike
  • Like 2

Headshot

Just out of curiosity, why was this thread moved downstairs?