Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Mike

Atlantic crossing

Mr. Mike

I have a friend named Wes who is a yacht captain working for a fellow he calls the "the boss". He has been doing this work since the 80s. He is currently crossing the Atlantic (departed St Martin 23 April) enroute to Gibraltar/Med. I don't know much about the boss, and I don't ask, but he evidently owns more than one very large yacht. The ship Wes is currently commanding is over 121m in length, with a crew of 24. I am included on his daily position reports and I will post them as they come in. For the most part, they are strictly business, but kind of fun to read if you are a nautical buff.

Good afternoon,

I would like to advise we did get underway this morning at 0900 headed back to the MED. We departed St Martin this am with the 0900 bridge ( after some idiots got a huge work barge and large deck crane UNSTUCK from under the bridge while it was up ! ) and are steaming due East on 18 degrees N latitude at about 12 knots ( not lovely but tenable ) to stay south of the developing strong low pressure system above us, then hope to Rhumb Line for Gibrlatar somewhere around 18N 040W. Time will tell how that shakes out as we are expecting 5m+ N-NE'ly seas ( 16.5 feet ) in a day or three, but with fairly light easterly winds, so hopefully it won't be too bad. 

I will be sending a full daily update tomorrow, and each day forward with our 1200 UTC information for any that are interested. Below shows todays weather and routing, as well as a picture outside as we rounded the corner of St Martin and began our long slog into the Easterly heads seas and trade winds. It's gotten rougher since then. Next waypoint distance before the turn to the Northeast ?  …………….. Roughly 1,400 miles ! So lets hope the seas abate some as otherwise it will be a very very long crossing Eastbound.

broden

good work if you can get it

• Like 1

Mr. Mike

24 April

_________________________________________________________________________________ 

Good morning, 

Today we are plodding along just fine down south here, and now have the 60m yacht "Solemates" abeam on the same course and similar speed. Overnight conditions remained a bit bumpy so all everyone wanted to do was sleep if they weren't on watch, including myself. Not many eating dinner either as you might imagine …….. Today has given clear skies but still fresh Easterly winds w consistent sea and swell which has us hobby horsing along throwing spray everywhere which just makes for more work for the deck crew. The below weather chart shows our current position, and also is starting to show the strong low pressure system I mentioned that is developing above us. You will see in the next few days how this system will throw big seas at us, even though we are hundreds of miles south of it. If you look close, you will see the black colored pennant flags on the top left side of the developing low which indicates 50 knots of wind and the orange color indicates average 10 meter seas forecast ( that’s 30+ feet ), no thank you ! Glad we aren't up there ! 

24 April / 12Z UTC
Our pos:        18.00 N    058.24.6 W
Course: 90 T   

Next  WP : 18 N – 040 W

Speed:  12.5

Wind: E 18-25  knots 
Seas: E 2.5 - 3 m  wind driven
Swells : E - ENE / S  2.5 - 3 m  
Sky: clear ( 1/8th )  
Bar: 1010

post-5171-0-75411100-1366987057_thumb.png

post-5171-0-95219200-1366987093_thumb.png

Edited by Mr. Mike
  • Like 1

Mr. Mike

25 April

Good morning, 

Please find below today's update report 

25 April / 12Z UTC
Our pos:        18.00 N    053.26.3 W

Distance to WP  :   766  nm

24 hr Distance made good : 300 nm

Speed:  12.5
Total Distance Run : 527.8 nm
Current ETA Gibraltar :  05 May + pending SMG enroute + weather allowance for direct route

Wind: E 18-25  knots 
Seas: E 2.5 - 3 m  wind driven, some SE mixed in
Swells : E - ENE /   2.5 - 3 m  - starting to see more predominant NE swell
Sky: mixed ( 3/8th )  
Bar: 1011

Overnight conditions increased some, and then eased off later quite early this am. As the morning has worn in, winds have come up some while we see a more predominant NE swell coming in. Still a bit confused sea condition with wind driven from the E and SE along with the ENE – NE swell still giving us some head sea jumping. As indicated in your forecast, seeing a bit more cloud too but thus far no rain squalls have graced us. Intentions are to remain on course. Todays BVS forecast data is as follows ; 

post-5171-0-55852100-1366988264_thumb.png

post-5171-0-54739200-1366988303_thumb.png

Edited by Mr. Mike

thebob

I'm loving this thread. Fair seas and following winds to all who are out there.

Edited by thebob
  • Like 1

Headshot

There aren't too many yachts bigger than that. From the size description, I would venture this is the Octopus, the Katara, the Alexander or the Al Mansur. Only extremely rich men and governments own yachts that big.

• Like 1

Mr. Mike

26 April

Good morning, 

26 April / 12Z UTC
Our pos:        18.00 N    048.28 W

Distance to WP  :   481  nm

24 hr Distance made good : 270 nm

Speed:  11.3
Total Distance Run : 802 nm
Current ETA Gibraltar :  05 May + pending SMG enroute + weather allowance for direct route

Wind: ENE 20  knots 
Seas: ENE 2.5 m  wind driven, slightly confused
Swells : NE /  3 - 4 m  - long period
Sky: mixed ( 6/8th )  
Bar: 1011

Overnight conditions increased a bit and was a bit bumpy, then settled down as the night wore on. Our distance / speed made good dropped some due to surface currents which would be expected in this latitude. The NE swell has continued to build and is now running 3-4m.  All and all more tenable than head seas with shorter periods we have been seeing for the last 3 days. Distance from us to the center of the low above us is about 1000 miles.

post-5171-0-08720600-1366989158_thumb.png

post-5171-0-19948700-1366989235_thumb.png

Edited by Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

There aren't too many yachts bigger than that. From the size description, I would venture this is the Octopus, the Katara, the Alexander or the Al Mansur. Only extremely rich men and governments own yachts that big.

I should have asked the name of the ship early on, but I'll ask him when I see him again. I don't want to bother him while he is "at work".

• Like 2

Cannonball

I should have asked the name of the ship early on, but I'll ask him when I see him again. I don't want to bother him while he is "at work".

Thank you Mr Mike for posting this, I am enjoying the progress reports.

• Like 1

Mr. Mike

27 April,,,Early course change

Good morning, 

27 April / 12Z UTC
Our pos:        18.00 N    043.14.87 W

NOTE : Changed course at 1145 Z / 18 N 043.17.1W

Course:  T 61.7  

Distance to WP  :   2256  nm

24 hr Distance made good : 310 nm

Speed / Speed made good 24 hrs : 12.5 / 12.9
Total Distance Run : 1082 nm
Current ETA Gibraltar :  04 / 05 May + pending SMG enroute + weather allowance for direct route

Wind: NE 15  knots 
Seas: NE 1 m  wind driven
Swells : N 3 - 4 m  - long period
Sky: mixed ( 7/8th )  
Bar: 1012

Overnight conditions eventually laid down and it appears we may finally be in the lighter winds pocket as forecast. Winds are NE to ENE and appear thus far to be remaining light with less build up during the day than we have seen in the last several days. I chose to turn North earlier given the existent conditions, and because it saved us the 200nm Easting still outstanding on our pre-existent route. Given that, and pending speed and conditions from here to GIB, we may have an opportunity to get in the evening of May 4th if conditions coming into the straights don't delay us and we are perhaps able to speed up the last 12 hours before arrival. Below is the BVS data forecast for today. For todays report I left the original route in place to see the difference with our earlier turn to the NE. Additionally, yesterday we advanced the ship clocks by one hr, and will do so every other day here forward until we reach GIB to get acclimated. Current time aboard is GMT –3 until we switch again tomorrow.

post-5171-0-06132200-1367071897_thumb.png

post-5171-0-62222100-1367071930_thumb.png

Edited by Mr. Mike

Headshot

It appears to be the Katara, owned by the Emir of Qatar.

Paul

I would love to be able to do that, once in my life. Doubtful now, though.

• Like 1

broden

I would love to be able to do that, once in my life. Doubtful now, though.

33e69ma.jpg

• Like 2

Paul

No. I mean, I would REALLY like to do it before I leave this earth. That is one thing I have wanted to do since I was a boy / young man.

But, I will just have to do so through the eyes of others.

• Like 1